1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With EVERYONE healthy, how good are we?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jan 26, 2006.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

With Tmac alone, we got blown out by the Nuggets bad, yet we took Detroit to the test and recently blew out some crappy teams.

So, with Tmac healthy, along with Yao, DA, Sura and Swift back, plus the NBDL gang, how good is this team?

So far, I am frustrated by this season due to injuries, yet I am not that disappointed, since this team hasn't been together on the court. Now, if we go on a streak and sneak into the playoffs and face either the Mavs or the Spurs, do we have a chance to advance to the next round after a 7 game series?

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

In my opinion, this team's capable of playing .750 ball for 41 games - with the occasional injury and chemistry development factored in.

3. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I think with everyone healthy we're capable of reaching the finals. Tough to say such a thing given the state we're in right now (and in the midst of such a multitude of haters), but we were listed as the #1 threat to San Antonio's title before the season, and I don't think that would have changed if we didn't lose half our roster.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think we're second or third best team in the West. And top 5 in the NBA. Arguably #3-5. I'm trying to think about this without being biased as hard as that is. But McGrady is absolutely filthy whether his shot is on or off. He creates shots for his teammates, can guard from the 1-4 position, and is much improved on defense since coming to the Rockets. Yao when he's agressive and playing with confidence is a force to be reckoned with. He alters shots just by his presence in the paint, and his only real liability is lack of mobility to help out on the perimeter. Also when he jumps on pump fakes, but that's an issue that can be worked with over time. He too forces double and triple teams on a nightly basis, but when he does get single coverage is a 25+ point per game, 10+ rebounds a game guy.

Sure this team could stand to get younger, quicker, and longer, but given what we're working with, the future is bright.

5. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Well yes we can be a good team with the addition of the injured starters, however, we would not be that young and would have twice as less chemistry as the Mavs or the Spurs.

Bottom line_____________________________________

We can make a run...that what Rocket ball is about, but this season will end like it started...dissapointing.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Still a trade away from advancing past the 1st round of the playoffs.

7. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I disagree once we get Yao back on sunday and then Sura and Barry in the next 3 to 4 weeks we are good enough to get past Dallas in round 1. Alston,Lucas along with Baxter and Hayes is what has turned this team around. Rockets will make the playoffs and play Dallas in round 1. Go Rockets!!!

8. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

With all players are healthy, I think Rox is a top 5-7 team.

Teams are clearly better than Rox: Pistons, Spurs, Dallas and Phoenix. Sure, you can win a game or two against these teams, but in a 7 games' series, Rox will lose.

Teams are on par with Rox: Memphis, Heat

9. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

remember the astros.....slow start.......this could be great..if we stay healthy.......i feel good

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think management would like to know that answer. Our team hasn't played together all season. :(

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

we'd be a top 5 team in the nba. alot of preseason national press and this board thought we'd be the second best team in the west and of course now with the onslaught of injuries we're labeled a dissapointment. the season has been a dissapointment no doubt but not because of something anyone could control. had t-mac and yao been healthy from day one onward i don't think anyones high expectations would be all that far off. at the minimum you could probably flip our won-loss record as it stands.

a blessing in disguise has been the finding of chuck hayes and luther head proving he can play in this league.

12. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

in the 3 games with yao and mac, the offense was stagnant as it has been throughout the season with some exceptions. it's possible they could have found the chemistry at some point but now with lonny and chuck i think they have a better flow. juwon hitting his jumpers helps a lot in that regard also. i feel much more confident in them now that they look like they know what they are doing.

13. roswell raygun

The closest we came to seeing what this team is really like was on the 6-game West Coast trip when they went 5-1. And even that wasn't the team at full strength.
    With the development of Luther Head and the discovery of Chuck Hayes, this team could be better than I expected when the season began. But that means getting everyone healthy and contributing quickly. I hope it's not too late.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

exactly.

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

As far as Stro can take us..

I KID, I KID..

I'd love to get Dallas in the first round again this year.. I think we would have a better chance to win over them than any of the other top teams in the West..

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think when fully healthy, we're a top 4-5 team in this league easily. I think the way our team is constructed is best utilized against the slower, set-offense type of teams like the Spurs and the Heat, and is less effective against the likes of the Suns/Sonics/etc.

Still, I would NEVER bet against this team if everyone is fully healthy, because most playoff games are close contests, and when you have a guy like McGrady in the last 2-3 minutes of a game, your chances are slightly better than the other team to win the game.

If we can sneak into the playoffs this year, I am not worried about anyone we have to face, bring 'em on.

17. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I think that this team when completely healthy can be the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA. But I also believe that this is not a championship calibre team. And to me that is all that really matters.

18. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

we are a game away from the WCF at full force and good chemistry. I think S.A. might give us trouble and Possibly Dallas because they are just stacked (no pun intended).

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I would say that if we keep building our confidence and keep momentum up, we can make the WCF, and possibly the finals. I would say that at that point, we are in the very tight, competitive top four, which includes the Spurs, Suns (with Amare), and the (suprising) Mavs.

20. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Scary. That's what I think of *IF* we could just be healthy and play. Thing is, this squad has still yet to play together really. Someone has always been out, or has been new tryin to get comfortable here in our system.