1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows Phone 7 launch event (Oct. 11, 8:30am)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those interested, Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 launch event is today at 8:30am (Central). A lot of the phones have been leaked out already on various blogs, but it'll be nice to make it "official", I guess. Rumor has it that about 2000 apps should be available at launch. I'm not quite as gung-ho about the OS as I once was now that it seems like it's going to be bastardized in many ways (no cut & paste intially, no tethering initially, no Verizon initially, etc.).

Engadget will be blogging it : http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/live-from-microsofts-windows-phone-7-launch-event/

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The big $500 million KA-BOOM very few will hear.

3. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

Didn't read, but is it available for the Touch Pro 2?

4. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

I can't believe there is no multi-tasking at launch. Hopefully they at least announce something about an update.

No older Windows Mobile phones are getting upgraded, not even the HD2. You have to buy a new phone.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sorry. 8:30AM is too early for me.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

With the Windows Phone 7 and the Zune Microsoft should own this market within the next 6 months.

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

everyone's hyping windows phone 7 to be something spectacular

given my past experience with windows mobile OS, i will not get any of these phones until there's overwhelming evidence of its success

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

This.

Every Windows OS phone that I have owned has been CRAP. I'm currently stuck with the HD2. It's slower than molasses.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

From what I understand this OS is different from all of the rest in that it has simplified everything into a natural and effortless menu system. It grows on people quick. I think Android may be a little too tricky for non-techies, I doubt the average person gets the most out of their Droid. I get the feeling Windows 7 finds the middle ground where ease of use meets customability.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Go and put Android on it then!! the phone is 100 times better with Androidon it.

12. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Damn! So many phones to choose for WP7 OS. Almost all the major brand are producing their phone for this OS. No sign of Sony yet. Typical Sony always lagging behind but I don't mind having WP7 on Xperia x10.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I feel like Dell has some really cool phones up its sleeve.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a deal killer for me. Given how impressive everything else appears at first glance, I was starting to wonder if maybe WP7 would do enough to woo me away from WebOS. But no multitasking? Big time fail there, Microsoft.

Expecting the announcement of the Palm Pre 2 very soon, but I'm probably not going to buy -- I'm waiting for the rumored "Mansion" slab model which hopefully should have the dual-core OMAP4 chip.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I am giddy with excitement. I can't wait to ditch my iPhone....

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had dinner with an ex MS exec on Wed night, they are really worried that the mobile division is going squadoosh !!

DD

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The more I read about it, the more I think it's better to way for a revision or two down the line.

No cut and paste at launch, spotty multitasking and app support, bland gaming. It seems to have the kind of issues the first iPhone had...a lot of missing things, restrictions, etc. Only it's five years later.

Still, I like the UI and the idea of Live integration. I think if MS can cut a share of the market for themselves, there's a lot of room for growth.

The first crop of phones are pretty bland, though.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Win 7 OS will make or break em?

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We're going to be bailing out all of these companies 100 years from now. Just stick to what you're good at.

20. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

My 3G Iphone was getting slow and my company won't let me get another Iphone, so I went with the Samsung Focus with the Windows Phone 7 OS. I really like it so far. You can tell somethings are missing, but as a whole the OS is really smooth and simple. Our company email is run through an Exchange Server and it operates flawlessly with my calender and email. Micorsoft is supposed to launch an update to the OS in January that fixes some of the issues (copy and paste) which should be great. As more apps and more phones for Verizon and Sprint come out I can see the system catching on. Anybody else grab one of these phones?