1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 update nightmare

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Just buy a new computer.

Buy a ******* Mac and call it a day.

Invisible Fan and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

from F2 ,BIOS ,choose SATA to replace AHCI Controller

3. what

what Member

I thought windows 10 was what was corrupt, not his harddrive.

Anyway, when you install windows 10 on the new harddrive you are going to have to create a partition.

That's the problem. The windows 10 partitioning system has a very poor explination of which harddrive is which. I recently formated my linux drive that I wanted to keep, thinking it was the drive I was trying to format.
    That's why I think it is best to just put the new hd in, remove the old one, then install windows 10 on the new one, then make the master slave relationship.

I still don't know why you want him to buy data recovery software. That would be something he would do if he deleted his files by accident. As far as I know, the files he wants are just sitting on that old drive ready to be extracted, which means my method would work just fine.

Sure, he may not want linux, but after this, he might want to try it and see if he links it better.

Linux doesn't require virius protection for the most part. One good thing about it roscoe. lol

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How much is it worth it to you for someone to fix it? I know I can fix it... But just curious :)

Anyway hard drive method will work don't worry about m/s, just pull the old drive and install new Windows. Then attach 2ndary drive via usb/sata

As far as the error can you let me know the system make/model? I realize you have an Avast issue but I have been seeing some interesting fixes in addition to the Avast issue (regarding blank screen issue)

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Looks like a Dell optiplex GX620.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have not had any problems using any new Win10 updates on my 3 systems. However I know people who have problems like yourself. I am finding a lot of the problems people are having are driver related issues. I usually buy the 'best bang for my buck' parts, which are usually produced in high quantities, thus great driver support. I have a friend who bought a top of the line alienware laptop (4k system) with the latest and greatest hardware and he is always having driver problems. Other people are having problems with older devices that are not getting regular driver support.

If you have an Optiplex that old, then i suspect you have driver issues. At this point, youre much better off just upgrading to a new system then paying someone to fix it. You can buy high performance basic systems for a very reasonable price. A good CPU/MOBO/RAM combo can run you 250-350. Another couple hundred for a basic case, PSU, hardrive.

Don't get suckered into buying an over priced system if you dont need all that horsepower. Personally I dont think its worth putting money into an old dinosaur of a machine either.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I haven't read through the thread yet. But I have to say, as someone that has worked in IT for 19 years and has seen all manner of hilarious and incompetent users.....I would pay good money to sit in a room and watch Fatty troubleshoot an issue like this.

Love ya Jimbo.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

I may not know computers, but I know how to follow instructions. When you follow everything and every prompt that they say will come up actually does come up, I think I'm doing it correctly. My computer simply refused to read the flash drive, which was the very last step; either with 32 or 64 bit. (I downloaded both)

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

So anyway, I decided to screw that computer for now and got one of my work computers out of storage. If any of y'all want to take a crack at it, you're more than welcome to try. But as of now, every "fix it" thing that has come out has not worked whatsoever.

Speaking of which, this one won't allow me to uninstall AVG, and I dread Windows 10 upgrading this one and screwing it up as well.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

F*** ME!

Yep, as soon as I plugged in this computer tonight, good ol' Windows 10 update demands I update.

How do I postpone this until they get this AVG thing figured out? As I said, I can't uninstall the damn thing.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Best fix is driving to the Apple store and just running a VM of your existing windows machine.

However .. I do feel like MS should fix the issue for you. Do you have MS support?

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I think I figured out how to disable AVG. Hopefully this upgrade doesn't screw me again.

These upgrades should be OPTIONAL.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is seriously the most boring FFB thread in the history of Clutchfans.

eric.81 and heypartner like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

I had an issue where my computer would get stuck at a loading screen any time I restarted the computer post major update that would never fully install. It would eventually start up if I removed every usb connected to the computer. I dealt with it as it didn't bother me too much. My computer usually stays on 24/7 and I only restart when needed. Then a few weeks later my computer became unusable. Extremely slow response. It would struggle to do any action. Thought my hard drive was crashing, but I managed to back up everything in safe mode and then I just wiped everything and reinstalled Windows 10 fresh and I got a new update I guess because some things looked different that I didn't get before so I assume that previous update crashed some things when it had issues installing and it finally got through when I did a clean install. Everything is running perfectly smooth again. It really wasn't too big of a deal for me though as this computer is just for home theater, gaming, gay p*rn, browsing and photoshopping Mike Bibbys muscles on myself.

On a side note - Does System Restore Point ever work? It was always my go to fix for Windows 7. Solved everything 100% of the time. There would always be tons of restore points created automatically for you. With Windows 10, it seems like theres rarely any restore points created and you have to create the restore points yourself. I have yet to resolve any issue via System Restore Point with Windows 10.