1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wilt Chamberlain and his insane vertical leap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Nov 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

Cavaliersftw is also my account on ISH, where I've got over 2,000 posts, and I run the Youtube channel that highlights all this footage that completely contradicts the bull***** your spewing about that era. So kindly remove yourself from the 60s threads since your clearly in over your head.

P.S. Bellamy, the NBA HOF center you relentlessly hate on for no reason? Boy what a poor-man's Brook Lopez he musta been @ 0:19, 0:22, 1:07, 2:57 and 3:16 in that dunk mix

And your favorite, Darrel Imhoff who Wilt scored 100 on is @ 3:23. Oddly enough, (through CGI probably) he posterizes this guy:
    http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/bio_photos/jim_barnes.jpg

and appears to actually go up strong and athletic enough in the process to be fooled for an NBA center today. Huh... strange.

But nah, those guys arent any good because Wilt's stats look too fake for him to be legit. His competition must be the problem, yah thats it! Blame the competition! The nba athletes back then must have been tiny and made of tissue paper!

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

what are you trying to prove in those youtube videos? that post defence sucked and there was not any explosiveness in that era? Compare that to modern day explosiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzo4pHTZ-M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v53lwRhU4fs

3. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

lol lol lol so the league today is filled with Vince Carters and Shaq's? LMFAO is that what you think of the league today? Last I checked Brooke Lopez and Joel Anthony aren't handing it too people like that.

Also, nice job posting "career" highlights of those players. RANDOM 60s footage is lucky to even be seen on film today and that's just what the footage I posted is - RANDOM. Those aren't career defining dunks by those players, that isn't them at their best.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

You know that isn't them at their best how? You know that is random how? and how was it "career" highlights when it was an all-star game for shaq? and going back to your video, how can somebody take nearly 5 dribbles across the court and NOBODY even attempting to stop the ball? Where are the box-outs for rebounds? the help defense? the fighting for post positioning? etc.

5. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

Lol, you don't honestly believe your being clever with such r****ded questions do you? Like your gonna stump me somehow? I know where the footage came from. I'm the one who made the mix dumbass. There's like 20-30 hours of total footage tops of the ENTIRE NBA LEAGUE from the 60s. I'm including half a dozen games and half a dozen partial games, and about a dozen documentaries covering a 10 year span. That's a lot of teams and a lot of players who have literally got only a few minutes total of footage. There's only 6 or 7 dunks from known dunkers like Gus Johnson or Walt Bellamy on film and a guy like Bellamy dunked at least 4 shots a night throughout his 1,000+ game career. The overwhelming majority of game film comes from cheaply made 60s documentaries by Winek Films that used too provide little 20 minute movie theater snippets for LA Laker fans and ***** too watch at their local theater in order to drum up business for the NBA. Literally, they'd film 4 random regular season Laker games during a season and make an entire mini documentary out of it. But the sample pool is 4 pathetic regular season games. The rest of that season and post season (for the entire league) is a blackhole. Several teams don't even get filmed throughout most of the 60s no matter who was on their team.

But maybe your right, maybe the dunks and highlights that I'm pulling from these cruddy documentaries and game halves are the league's GREATEST moments from the 60's?... Guess Winek Films chose the correct 4 games too film each season :rolleyes:

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well that is nice background info on the footage (and on a side note, kudos to you for opening up some video on the 60s basketball! That deserves some serious respect and approval). But assuming that those 4 games are normal games each season to break down the tape of their atrocious fundamentals/gameplay?

7. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsiLJh8gk0

Maybe something like this is more helpful for you too watch. The game had some different rules in the 60s - the biggest few that make the game appear differently is that there's no 3 point line so spacing on the floor is different, another one is dribbling which had too be done palms straight down and it kind of makes the ball handlers look less fluid. Another one is charges, - if you drive to the hole today your likely to get a whistle in your favor but if you drove to the hole in the 60s your likely to get whistled for charging so players didn't drive in the middle as often - instead they backed their man in with post play (which is something you rarely see today). The rules favored the defenders inside more, so the tactic was get the ball too a big man, or shoot from midrange. Defense was present but zone was illegal and very few teams doubled. The "effort" by the players was focused more on grabbing the rebounds and running a fast break not stopping the player with the ball and momentum (this is not unlike 1980's showtime basketball). It's just the style they played back then.

If I wanted, I could choose to highlight anything, not just dunks and not just one player. If you want to see defense you won't find it in a mix highlighting offense (dunks). IE moments where the defense didn't gather in time or was getting lazy etc. Moments of poor defense happens all the time in any NBA era - seeing poor defense in the 60s in a sequence that highlights one players moment of taking advantage of it isn't exposing the 60s - it's simply a moment highlighting something else.

8. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

and sorry for calling you an idiot in the prior post - I couldn't tell if you were simply trolling or legitimately inquiring. Btw, here's more footage of that 1965 G5 - these are the clips that had sound (w/o narration) up to about the first quarter of play. This is the kind of random footage I have too work with from the 60s. This specific game exists on film (and only in pieces) due to an obscure documentary from the 1960s that was filmed entirely around this one game. So I'm not exactly spoiled for choice on making highlights from that era, at least not compared too how easy it is to make an MJ or Kobe highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDeHJ0_zUVU

9. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Thanks for posting that. Not only did the players in the 60s have no fundamentals, but it also seems clear that they shot upwards of 95% from the field. The proof is in the video.

10. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

blanket statements that don't point out specifics sound convincing to no one.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

I am aware of the rule changes. But what really is tricky about rating the players in this era the glaring mistakes in defense or bball IQ. Look at literally the very first play. 2 seconds in, the ball enters the post. The spacing is typical for a 60s game (it would be terrible in today's games) but the defensive helpside is nonexistent. 3 people are not even seeing both ball and man, and then the sequence afterwards when #15 does a simple baseline cut and gets a WIDE open jumpshot is just an enigma. Bill Russell is considered one of the greatest defenders in the history of the game; is he drunk or did he fall asleep that play? How can one give up a block jump shot so easily?

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

He wasn't in his day, either.

So tired of the "he played against boys" myth.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

So you can say that he would get smoked in today's game but when someone disagrees with you, it's suddenly impossible to speculate on? LOL

14. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

Your assuming every off-looking play is a mistake when it isnt the case at all. Im not sure how much of this play is deliberate vs mistake but Bill Russell and his Celtics are very aware of who they'd rather shoot, when, and why. They encouraged certain guys to shoot over others. A guy like Wayne Embry (#1) is the least threatening weapon on the floor especially when he (and Lucas and Hawkins) are all out of rebounding position. Bill Russell isnt known for going after every shot, hes known for head games like giving up an easy shot and reminding u he can block it with ease, talking trash, and making u miss looking for him.

15. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

(typo - Wayne Embry is #15 not #1))

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Average NBA player height since the 80s has hovered around 6 7. In Wilts early 60s heyday it was 6 -5 minus 15 lbs or so.

17. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Sorry. I should have put the [Sarcasm] brackets on.

FWIW, in that one game there are at least 4 players who would still be at the very top today: Russell, Oscar, Lucas and Havlicek. Maybe Sam Jones as well. If Oscar were playing today he would still be the best point guard in the game. Russell is better that Dwight Howard (and the same height), and would be the premier center in the game. Lucas would be a top 3 or 4 power forward. Not sure exactly how Havlicek would fit in, but even then it was odd figuring out how he fit in -- not a guard, nor a forward, just a perpetual motion machine and a great player who always managed to make himself fit the role that was needed.

18. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

Lol nope, average height back then was identical as today when barefoot height is calculated. The average difference in weight is actually true though... But its just a product of going too a gym and playing a slower pace of basketball. Physiologically w/o weight training they are the same size tho.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Prove that they played barefooted or else you are automatically my b**** until the sun rises in the west. You have 24 hours.

Edit: alternative method of success: prove to me that the 6-11 wings of today like Kevin Durant are just wearing 6 or 7 inch platforms with regard to their 60s analogues

#99 SamFisher, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  20. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

Buy yourself a pair of Chuck Taylors (gym socks with laces), then take note that today bigmen wear 1.25-1.75 inch platforms. I dont need to "prove" common sense to an imbecile. /thread