1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WILLIAMS MUST GO!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaucasionSensation, Nov 23, 1999.

1. CaucasionSensation

Another bad night for the Wizard folks. This is sad very sad. Williams should theoretically be a perfect fit for this ball club. He can knock down the open shot, and double teams which Hakeem and Chuck create, create exactly that for him.

But Williams can't really hit from any range right now.

Which is bad when you consider the fact that he already can not run the floor or play defense. In other words the one dimension is lost.

So where is he going? Who are we getting? Do we move him, and Mack for a shooting guard and move Anderson to the three? Hell even Anderson shoots better than Williams right now. Or do we go for a small forward to take his place?

So tell me cause as you all know, Walt must go.

2. wizard

wizard Member

Its called a shooting slump...dont worry..watch and I ll get back to u on this one after he knocks him down like usual.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4. CaucasionSensation

Dang he was four for seven. Maybe I am jumping the gun a little. Still though wizard it's been a pretty big slump. I'd love him to come out of it. Because tonight if we had played any other team than Dallas tonight we probably would have really needed it.

Really, there is a good shot they won't trade this guy. Rudy has been in love with him since he was a projected part of the Toronto trade for Stoudamire. Rudy could make Horry shoot well from outside, unbelievable it does not hold true for Walt.

5. Major

Major Member

I don't know what kind of shooting slump he's in, but his numbers are:

51% from 2pt land (3rd on the team behind Rogers (56%) and Francis (52%)
    35% from 3pt land (leads the team)
    91% free throws (leads the team)

If that's bad shooting, then everyone on the team, and most people around the league, are bad...

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

shanna --

Walt is actually shooting 41%.

------------------
    Clutch
    Out to prove Scottie Pippen will apologize at gunpoint.
    www.clutchcity.net

7. CaucasionSensation

Wow I got close to being shown up again.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually I stand corrected -- I think shanna is talking about just from 2-point land, correct? That's correct in that case...

9. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I broke it down... There's no point in comparing Walt to Hakeem in overall shooting given that 3pt % is obviously going to be lower... My point was that Walt is at the top of the team from just about every place you can shoot from (2pters, 3pters, free throws)....

10. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

Clutch, if you were the coach would you start carlos rogers at the 3 and bring the wizard off the bench? just wondering...

------------------
    GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Shanna...stat queen!

I wonder how Walt will shoot when he gets to play for more than 2 minutes at a time. He hits a few baskets...then a few opposing players...and then gets the hook. Seems like it would hamper one's rhythm.

12. M-&-M

M-&-M Guest

Is Walt Williams shooting worse with us than he has in the past?

13. M-M....couldn't tell if it was a sarcastic post or not....

But no. When the Rox first picked him up, I had to hear one person after another claim his Wizardry at shooting the ball. But as I claimed once before. Walt is less than a career 42% shooter, who is doing the same thing this year that he has for every one of his previous years short of his great touch last year at 3 pointers.

His numbers this year are almost an identical match for his career.

His reputation for horrible D, and reaching fouls as players blow by him, preceeds his fine Defensive efforts so far this year.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't care if he was 4-7 or 10-10. One dimensional players (who's one dimension isn't defense) shouldn't be on any starting lineup, especially when you have hard working guys like Carlos Rogers on the bench. This is sick that this guy gets time. Lazy players in the starting lineup...

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You cannot separate 3-pt% from 2-pt%, that makes no sense at all. A three-pointer is to Williams what a 15-footer is for Hakeem. Guards' percentages are lower simply because they attempt tougher (longer) shots......if they want a higher percentage, they shouldn't shoot so many threes. This is why a guard will never lead the league in FG%. One of the main components of having a good percentage is SHOT SELECTION. By separating 3-ptrs, you take away the element of shot selection. Shot selection is one reason why Williams isn't setting the world on fire, at 41%.

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited November 24, 1999).]

16. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

For my brilliant ( I must say) idea of what the Wiz's role should be on Friday check out my post on "de-emphasize the post..."

------------------
    The truth is out there... but not in the post.

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Freak,

You cannot separate 3-pt% from 2-pt%, that makes no sense at all.

What exactly does that mean? Everyone breaks out the 3-pt%.

Do you imply that no one should take an open 3?

[This message has been edited by Cohen (edited November 24, 1999).]

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sorry Cohen, I guess that was a little confusing. What I meant was that you can't take out 3-pt% when computing overall FG%, for a number of reasons, some of which I laid out in the previous post.

19. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Freak,

If one players hits 2 of 6 (33%) of his 3's, for 6 points and another hits 3 of 6 (50%) of his 2's, which would you rather have?

Both take 6 shots, both get 6 points. You CAN separate the percentages because you CAN live with a lower percentage from 3-point range because it's worth more.

Now what doesn't make sense?

20. Major

Major Member

Uhh, Freak, if you want to compare scoring efficiency (which is the point of shooting), you have to separate out 3s and 2s (otherwise, it makes no sense to compare Hakeem's shooting % to Williams') ... Or, you can simply give credit for the extra point for the 3pters.... In Williams' case, shooting 35% from 3pt land is the equivalent of 52.5% from 2pt land in terms of points scored, which is really the only thing that matters....

So, if you do it that way, he's even better shooting... I haven't done all the math, but at first glance, that makes him the 2nd best shooter on the team (behind Carlos Rogers)

Either way, the guys' not in a slump.

TheCabbage... If you don't want one-dimensional players in the lineup, then Carlos Rogers is *not* the solution... The guy cannot shoot outside of 5 ft or play one-on-one D -- he only hustles (just as one-dimensional). What Walt does with a lineup of Francis, Anderson, Barkley, and Olajuwon is provide a true outside threat on the team. When you bring in Mobley/Drew, that's when you have multiple outside options, so you can sit Williams down. But if you start Rogers instead of Walt, then that's basically telling teams that you don't have to guard the perimeter at all.