1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will you let your kids play football?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ipaman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've got 2 boys, one totally not interested he loves soccer and basketball. My youngest was interested but he came home from school last week and told me his friend broke his leg playing football and now he doesn't want to play. He loves baseball and also basketball, so he just wants to focus on that.

I love football and also played but I'd be lying if I wasn't happy that both came to me and said they didn't want to play.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The first sentence reads like the oldest one does NOT want to play 'American Football' and loves soccer and basketball.
    The latter part says the youngest is the one that wanted to play 'Football', but now doesn't want to since he saw his friend's experience with an injury.

Is that right? ^

You can explain it to both of them the way you stated at the end, or of the likes of this: "I would really enjoy it if you both tried it, at least, and wouldn't be happy if you flat out told me you didn't want to even try it, but not to the point that I would force you to. All I can ask for is that you both try it, and if you don't want to, it is still cool."

^ :cool: Does that sound like some way you'd like to start that conversation out?

I have two daughters and they're NOT the most athletic and I know they wouldn't be the "best" at soccer or any other sport, but I want them to at least try. I would rather they just see how it is, and if they like and would like to continue, let it be. If no, then no hurt feelings. It seems that most of us Mexican parents would want to have our kids try soccer at least ONCE. Both my daughters tried and only the younger one has an affinity for it and loves watching it on TV and supporting the same teams I like, but I can understand if she also has other activities (is in the drill team, ballet, and choir) and doesn't have time for any sport (dang it, I want her to play SOCCER!).

EDIT: The answer to your question is "YES."

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I absolutely would let my kids play football. While there is risk involved, the risk of something serious is fairly small. I probably would be against them returning in a season in which they suffered a concussion. More than one would be enough for me to say find something else to do.

Now, lets say they were big time athletes, I'd try to steer them into a different sport if possible. I can say, I'd prefer my kids to never play in the NFL (unless they were a kicker/punter).

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

My 7 year old plays full contact. As someone who loves football and played on the college level I still DO NOT like it. My plan was to keep him in flag untill Jr high. He threw a crying tantrum and we caved into letting him play full contact early. He loves it so we let him, don't live your dream through your kid let him make a choice.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

My boy (11) is quite small for his age, but expressed a desire to play last fall. Knowing the coach already and thinking a great deal of him, we reluctantly agreed, thinking that saying 'no' would make him want to play more, later. He's a pretty athletic kids in general, but the weight limits in his age group went up to -well- past twice his weight.

It was a little unnerving. He played hard, knowing he had to really work at it to be good. By the end of it, they were calling him "The Hammer" because he hit hard and wrapped up tight. Every practice, every game, I wondered if he would get hurt. Seriously hurt.
    There were a couple of instances of him getting plowed over etc. where I thought oh man this one is it. But he came out ok, never getting seriously injured, luckily. And there were times he made some big plays, too. The team was terrible (long story on how the league was put together and how our team was "selected") and it was not easy by any means, but all of them had fun anyway.

Overall, I'm really glad he played, now, but if he never plays again I'll be fine with it. At least until he catches up closer in size to his peers, and even then I'm not sure I'd be thrilled, but all in all it was a positive experience. I'm glad we let him play when he was young, so he got a taste of it before the stakes (size and speeds) get even higher. He proved to himself he can do it, had fun, and my guess is that will be it for him and football, though it will be his choice.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am childless, so what do I know, but I don't think I would. I know my woman wouldn't.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

My kids story seems really close to this, I wanted him to mature more, some kids are double his size and we were neighbors with coach.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

same here. i wouldn't want him to and i'm not risk averse. besides the physical injuries, i just would not be comfortable with my kid's brain sloshing around every week.

9. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I wouldn't much care if they didn't like it. For as much as I love basketball, if they thought it was stupid, I wouldn't force it on them. Maybe your kids will grow into it later on the line, or maybe not. Who knows.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wouldn't, basketball and soccer are two much less risky sports that have the same benefits.

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

considering I would want him to play for the rockets, I would start him on hoops early

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Soccer football is much more fun.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My son plays football for his high school. He played middle linebacker in middle school and started playing running back last season. When he began playing as a running back he started contemplating not playing anymore, I asked him why he wanted to stop playing and he told me that there is a huge difference between you hitting someone or you constantly being hit (glad to hear he is not a masochist) and that his knee/shoulder were starting to bother him.

He is still playing this year, but I really wish he would stop playing and find another sport!

#13 BamBam, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

The amount of research and what it should reveal on the traumatic brain injury to those who play football is going to make a lot of parents reconsider letting their kids play. It's not only college an nfl players that are affected by this.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm going to say no unless they really want to. Then I'm going to tell them to become kickers or punters. :)

I went to my 10-year old nephews football game this weekend and didn't like what I saw at ALL. Coaches were yelling at the kids non-stop and the kids weren't having any fun.

These coaches were clearly on some kind of demented power trip. Maybe they played in high school and couldn't get off the bench? At one point, the coach kept looking our way with this scowl on his face. I was thinking to myself "dude.....you're not Nick Saban....you're coaching a bunch of 10-year olds.....get that scowl off your face..."

This was the Kingwood football league. I've always heard bad things about this league. They were pretty much confirmed on Saturday. Douchebags as far as the eye could see...

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think of all the positions I would NOT want my child to play, running back has to top the list. There are just WAY too many bad things that happen to running backs at that level, and the idea that he is 100% going to get hit every time he touches the ball would be too much for me. Fundamentals go out the window when you're in a game, and I'd be terrified that someone is going to come in low and blow up his knee, or come in high and blow up his head.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My older boy plays hoops year round...but he was asked by coaches to try out for football. They have him playing receiver, so I think he'll be ok...mostly because at that age, receiver don't do anything but block the corner in front of them. But i wasn't thrilled with the idea. He says when he gets to high school, he's done with it, as he just wants to focus on basketball. I'm great with that!

My younger boy told me he wants to start playing tackle football next year. We'll see.

#17 MadMax, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  18. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

An undeveloped brain is particularly vulnerable to concussions and the effects are amplified later in life compared to adult head trauma. No way in hell is my kid playing football.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My oldest had no desire, Karate and guitar, my youngest is Basketball and Soccer even though he was our QB in flag, and has a cannon of an arm.

So, we would let the younger play, but he does not want to, and that is OK with us.

DD

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I have a stepson who plays College Football. He played one year before the age of 10. He didn't start really playing sports til 7th grade football. He had the size to be a great Lineman. He is a 3 year starter in college on an Academic and Athletic Scholarship. Football can be good for young men. I would not recommend football before 7th grade. The coaches in Pop Warner and such SUCK! Wait til they can get proper coaching in UIL. If you want them to play a sport when young, play Little League Baseball.

I do have a daughter who play softball and soccer under the age of 10. Didn't play soccer for 2 years, and then started to play club soccer. She now has a good chance at making varsity as a freshman at her High School.