1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

29 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. Garner

Garner Member

Morey let Ariza and Luc walk over money, then he let Chinanu go for Cash Consjderations.......

....does Morey have financial problems?

2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Melo will be that guy now

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Depends on how much Harden will step up. He's gonna have to work harder on defense.

Why not? likes this.
  4. Artestsuckskobe

I’m gonna miss how he dribbles the ball like a 7 yr old

hakeem94 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Him saying Yes,and singing Tell me Why on State Farm Commercials that's about it..

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ariza was a low maintenance role player that was VERY dependable. Those are the guys you want on your team. The Rockets will miss Ariza. But the hope is that Ennis and "whoever Ryan Anderson gets traded for" will be able to fill the void to some capacity.

Why not?, Shark44, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is that needed to bring in someone to make sure that locker room didn't fall apart. Last year things were getting a little tense at times.

Why not? likes this.
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Trevor's inability to dribble and drive held us back

I'm excited to see what Ennis can do. He's younger and I think will make Ariza obsolete. I believe a versatile SF. Yeah 3 & D is great but If KD is dropping 30 a game on you and you're bricking shots left and right why are you on the court.

I think when playing GS you need some defense but when KD is castrating your whole team, you need guys who can just hoop when it comes down to it.

#28 PatBev, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Hui, Why not?, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I think Luc Mbah a Moute will be missed more than people realize.

No Worries and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Unless Morey pulls off a trade that brings in a legit 3 & D wing there is no doubt we'll miss Ariza.

11. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Ariza has a long wingspan and he's a great defender. Light years above Melo. While he may not be the offensive weapon that he used to be he can still give you buckets during crunch time and draw fouls. His defensive smarts is what we will miss the most. That's' something money can't buy.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. But to be more to the point, what we will miss is Luc's healthy shoulder. The Clippers have Luc, but do they have a healthy shoulder?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Random comment ... but is there anywhere to find stats for a players shooting % by defender guarding him?

I definitely value Ariza's defense...

But I can't see through the noise of the switching. I can visually recall as many KD shots over the likes of CP3, Clint (who switched onto him a bit), Harden.

I felt like during the series, more than anything, the defense was effective in that in its switching, it limited the GSW offensive machine that usually resulted in just more open shots and easy points. Instead, KD was shooting a lot of midrange jumpers. GSW became somewhat of an OKC offense... and we know that KD can have inefficient playoff nights in that type of offense.

In any case, I wonder what his shooting % was by defender??

And that said, they were only able to play such great switching defense because of the personnel, of which Ariza was part of.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we trade Ryno for an Ariza replacement, we might miss his shooting during the regular season.

Ive been watching highlights of Rockets and noticed Ryno has always killed it for us in the regular season hitting clutch shots or big ones to put us over the top. Like he was great in that Suns game where we dropped 90.

15. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Ariza will be back here either in a deadline trade or a buyout/ pro-rate league minimum salary deal at the roster deadline.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. mockster

mockster Member

I voted no, cuz it’s rockets for life, H town holdin it dine.

Gerald green will throw hands at Ariza

17. HP3

HP3 Member

We need James Johnson.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yes.

Next.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like both what Deuce and PatBev said above. Ariza was a gamer and his intensity helped set a tone with our team. If we didn't have CP3, I'd worry about that type of intangible, but Paul is the ultimate gamer and adds the leadership we've needed on the players' side. I like how the team is taking shape and I'm also excited to see Ennis play. If we trade Ryno and have the chance, I'd love to get MDA another chess piece. James Johnson would be ideal because he gives us another thumper, but adds more size than PJ. I'm not worried about his 3pt shooting, because I think we have enough weapons to cover him up.

Neither Ariza, nor Luc were great offensive threats--Ariza was streaky and Luc was only pleasantly passable. Johnson would add some versatility with his ball handling and ability to finish inside on the offensive side, and more size to push and punish (KD and others) on the defensive front.

If we can't make that work, then guys like Bazemore and Batum offer MDA some other skills that would be complimentary to the current roster. I would just like to add a Punisher to the roster.

Hui and Why not? like this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I know this is only observational, but I've re-watched the series, including many parts in slow-motion just to see who is microseconds late on rotations. Everyone was very good for the most part, other than Harden, Nene and Ryno. Harden has some great helps and good post defenses, but too many lapses off-ball, and couldn't laterally hang iso'd on-ball. Nene and Ryno can't handle on-ball isos.

The defensive lineup of CP3, EG, GG, Tucker, and Capela was superb, with only a barely late matchup in transition by GG and a communication mix up by EG and CP3 coming to memory. I really really like Gerald Green's defensive improvement at the end of last season and in the playoffs. I'm hoping he earns big minutes this year.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.