1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Ty Lawson face jail time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingCheetah, Jul 20, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Any real concerns that he will have serve some time this year?
    _____

Lawson’s rehab stint doesn’t prevent the Denver and Los Angeles courts from ordering Lawson to serve jail time. After all, this is his second offense in six months. Depending on the toxicology reports from his Los Angeles arrest, Lawson may get off with probationary supervision, a breathalyzer in his car, suspended license, ankle bracelet monitoring, alcohol abuse classes, community service and a hefty fine. Or he can be an example the courts use to get ordinary people to pay attention. When you get the first DUI, take it seriously people.

Judges have all the discretion on sentencing and depending on who Lawson gets to hear his case will determine his immediate future. And yet, that is not even the most important thing here. Whatever penalties that accrue, Lawson will pay them even when it is the NBA’s turn to be judge and jury. Yes, these assorted punishments will inconvenience Lawson but he’ll get through it. The bigger issue is Lawson himself. Can he get his life together? Professional sports, in a nutshell, is performance under stress. Can Lawson manage his professional responsibilities?

The Rockets plan to have John Lucas work with him which is a good thing for Lawson. At this point in his career he needs a supportive team around him that doesn’t have blinders on and understands that two DUI’s in six months means you have a problem. Lawson is 27 years old and is approaching his basketball prime. He has the potential to grow from this experience, atone, mature, accept responsibility and assistance, and develop, not as a basketball player but as a human being.

The Rockets are a better team because they acquired Ty Lawson. That is what the numbers say, 15 points, 9 assists last year. But will Ty Lawson be a better person because he is on the Rockets?

link

2. Coach E

Coach E Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought Lawson going to rehab and wearing a monitor was his punishment.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I always thought if u put yourself in rehab it could exempt jail time from DUI's

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's good to know that Lucas will be working with him.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I highly doubt he sees jail time. But ai can see him being suspend a few games

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

After 1st DUI you get your car taken away, license suspended for couple years and a fine in where I live. US got it easy. It's harsh, since Ty was traded here, but if this is his 4th DUI, dude should totally go to jail.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Does it help or hurt his chances that he didn't submit to a breathalyzer in his most recent DUI?

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I guarantee you he is already facing jail time. He screwed up with the second
    DUI. It's now up to his lawyer to negotiate a plea. They will be looking for a guilty plea with some jail time. The lawyer will have to negotiate down from that.

Keep in mind, he refused a blood test in the Colorado one. Judges and prosecutors hate that. He has little room to negotiate a good plea.

I expect this to drag out. His lawyer will wait until successful completion of rehab and some time on his continuous monitoring after that, if he can successfully stall

No, it's because he broke the terms of his bail conditions. He hasn't gone to trial yet. He likely won't vs agreeing to a plea, some harsh plea that avoids jail time. If he goes to court it will be because the prosecutor refuses to plea without some jail time

#9 heypartner, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Lawson (or his handlers) checks himself into rehab,not the courts.

One issue you forgot to mention was that one of the conditions of his bail/release for the 1st DUI arrest earlier in the year, was that he NOT consume Alcohol.

Violation of any of the conditions set for bail, can result in the immediate or subsequent revocation of bail. In this case, I think checking into rehab was a preemptive move to appease the courts.

11. heypartner

That's a plea bargain. Lawson hasn't gone to court, yet. He broke his bail conditions. Now his lawyer is essentially forcing him to rehab to show good faith; otherwise, his lawyer is facing a big battle to get a good plea deal.

Yep, this is what people are missing on this board.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

As I understand it this is his 3rd "official" DUI, though he apparently admitted to being arrested for DUI in Missouri (for which there appears to be no public record), which brings him up to 4.

His first was in college in 2008, when he pleaded guilty to underage drinking and driving. The other two were obviously in January, then earlier this month.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

14. heypartner

Did he refuse a blood test in LA, too? He did in Colorado. It hurts him. I suppose maybe it hurts more if you were crazy over the limit...maybe. What it generally means now is prosecutors will try to maximize the pain of your plea bargain/punishment. They do not like it.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jail time is the worst outcome if he does not follow #Protocol, #BeWell

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Rumor must be that Rusty Hardin will get him deferred adjudication.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That would be quite the buzzkill

18. rocketsmetalspd

No way does Ty serve any jail time. He will probably get some game suspensions from the league when he does come back to start off the season.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, KC, who is the author, and what is "The Committed Generation?" I haven't heard of any of the 7 people who apparently write for the site. Should I have? Not disputing what the author said, as I still don't know enough about Lawson's situation. Just wondering.

20. vick

vick Member

Just get Rusty Harden he got Clemens off. He is one of the best lawyers anywhere.:grin: