1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Will this trade work out well for both Chicago and Houston and Why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Corey Benjamin, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Corey Benjamin

Hi. A Bulls fan here. A new computer, a new username, a new password. I have been here before, talking some things you don't want to here, and I got kicked than.
    But here I am, changed.

I envisioned a trade in my head,and I want to know what you guys have to say about it.

Chicago sends draft rights to Marcus Fizer ($0 value) and Hersey Hawkins ($4,684,612)
    and
    Houston sends Kelvin Cato ($5,333,000) and Carlos Rogers ($2,100,000)

So trade expert,will this trade may be worked under the rules or ..?
    Also - Carlos Rogers' actual salary for next season?

Unsigned draft pick Marcus Fizer has zero value for trading purposes. Chicago like him, but Houston will love him. That's your weakest position. He brings 15 points and 6-7 rebounds for Houston.
    Hersey Hawkins dealt will work out for Chicago for sure. He will work out for Houston as well (next year free agent).
    Kelvin Cato and Carlos Rogers are two players driving Rudy T crazy. Houston will get Cato's salary out of Houston, for free agent hunting next season. Carlos' salary will be moved to.

Write something back. Also I think that Houston has $5.4 and not $4.5 trade exception. I will say something about that later.
    And the final question - Who am I?

Bye guys.

------------------
    Corey Benjamin

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Though it would be hard giving up 'Los, I'd take that deal. I think KC's salary would probably kill it though...

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

it would work ...

Elton Brand?

------------------
    blah blah blah

4. Corey Benjamin

Also I forgot.I was doing some math and I ended with this team. It fit perfectly under the cap

At Center - Kelvin Cato,Dragan Tarlac,Jake Voskuhl,Dalibor Bagaric
    At Power forward - Elton Brand,Carlos Rogers,Michael Ruffin
    At Small forward - Tim Thomas,Ron Artest
    At Shooting guard - Eddie Jones,Cuttino Mobley,Corey Benjamin
    At Point guard - Jamal Crawford,Khalid-El Amin,A.J Guyton.

What do you think?
    Bye.

------------------
    Corey Benjamin

5. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should keep there entire team together because all the players showed flashes of what they can do. If they suck this year then trade them

------------------
    Agent

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's Roy D. Elton. Welcome back.

Sounds like a good deal to me, but the question would be are the Bulls interested?

Also, if Hakeem gets hurt, we'd be playing small ball next year. Still think it might be worth it though.

------------------
    I Hate Every Bone in Your Body But Mine

7. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

you're not getting cuttino or eddie, eddie will go to the heat and cuttino will either syay here or go to toronto.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

8. Sweet P

Sweet P Member

Great to see a post from a rival fan that is completely reasonable and doesn't diss anyone. My compliments, Roy. As for that trade, sounds good for everyone, but I would hate to lose Carlos. How about taking Drew instead? You guys could use some cheap backcourt help, right? Or was Matt Maloney the only time you're going to make that mistake?

------------------
    "Someday I'd like to do something really meaningful with my life. Like burn Stockton to the ground!" - Henry Rollins

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm down with this deal, but the Bulls aren't getting Cuttino and Eddie (Cuttino would want to start) and probably not either. How much do you plan on paying Cuttino in year 1?

The Rockets 00 team (assumed Mobley resigning)-
    Hakeem/Collier (go after Foyle/White/Miller)
    Fizer/Thomas (if we were to get Foyle, Thomas could be moved) maybe TMass
    Williams/Langhi/Bullard
    Anderson/Mobley
    Francis/Moochie

(Hakeem/Collier/Foyle/Fizer would be a good mix for the front court. 2 defensive studs, 2 offensive machines, tons of possibilities, all able to run)

then, my projected 01 team:
    Ken Johnson (picked with Bucks pick)/Collier
    Fizer/backup defensive PF (Thomas moved due to similarities in overall style with Fizer)
    Rashard Lewis/Morris or Battier (picked with Rockets pick)
    Anderson/Mobley
    Francis/Moochie

This team would wreak havoc IMO. Johnson is a defensive center that would give Shaq a little trouble, and if not, Collier would draw him outside. Fizer would be the much needed low post threat, Lewis would create matchup problems galore, and Battier or Morris would be a defensive SF. Anderson and Mobley would be defense and offense, and by his 3rd year, Francis should be unstoppable.

I think Drew/Kenny Thomas could easily land a PF with good defense, or we could sign a veteran like Horace Grant, or Foyle would fit fine.
    ------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 11, 2000).]

10. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

i like terrence morris better then rashad lewis. But, I think Houston should do a sign and trade with the Warrior's to get Adonal Foyle. He's a former lottery pick (then again, so was "Big Injury" Bryant Reeves) that doesn't get much time with MR. JAMISON in front of him. He's a rebounding freak who can really help the Rockets inside. For those of you who don't know him, he's basically a 6'10 Dennis Rodman who has the same range as Dale Davis and blocks shots.The best part is, he's still young (25)

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fizer for Cato..essentially.

Hmmm...let's see....HELL YES !!!!

Do the deal, it helps both teams and gives us the best player in the draft 2 years running.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------

12. aus

aus Member

Fair enough if Fizer is the best player in the draft, but I was under the impression that he was an undersized PF who can't rebound or defend. Can he play the 3?

------------------

13. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

"I was under the impression that he was an undersized PF who can't rebound or defend"

Fizer was measured at 6'9''.
    Fizer averaged 7.6 rebounds last year in college, while consistently being boxed out by 3 people.
    Fizer's man defense is nothing spectacular, but solid. Just because you don't block shots doesn't mean you don't play D.

------------------

14. DUDE

DUDE Member

That is the first trade idea I have liked in a long time, at least one not being totally one-sided for us. [​IMG]

Fizer is what we need. Someone said if we trade Cato and Dream went down we would be playing small ball. Not really, We still have Collier. Even though he might not great, he is TALL. And with the guards we have we dont need much from our center.

hmm.. now I am dreaming, but imagine Duncan signing a one year with Spurs..hmmm

C Duncan
    PF Fizer
    SF Lewis
    SG Anderson
    PF FRancis

Hell, I could start at the SF! LOL

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Fizer was measured ONCE at 6'9 with his high heels on. All other measurements for him were 6'6" 1/2 - 6'7"3/4. The 6'9 measurement came after concerns about his ability to play in the NBA due to his size. Obviously Fizers agent was very concerned as he might slide in the draft and therefore the agent would get less of a cut (due to lower salary) and so he concocted a pair of sneakers that incorporated massive heels then got Fizer measured at 6'9". Remember also that Moiso measured in at 7' in that same set of measurements when he measured in at 6'10 in most others.

Fzier is a poor rebounder. 7.7 boards a game is weak when there is nobody else over 6'4 on your team. Sure he would've been boxed away from the offensive rebounds by 3 players, but if he's letting 3 opposition players box him away from his own defensive rebound then there are serious concerns not only with his rebounding but also his defense in general. Dennis Rodman was an animalistic rebounder and I'm certain that opposition coaches would've said "keep Dennis off the boards" - but NO, he still found 16-17 a night... sure Fizer might have had a little extra attention, but good rebounders get rebounds. Look at Kenny Thomas in college. He played center at New Mex. He was the main rebounding force on the team and opposition players got in his way plenty of the time. He still managed to snare 10 boards a game at the college level. Not bad. Of course it's even better considering that Kenny would go missing for stretches of games and get like 3 rebounds in an entire game every now and then. No, Fizer is NOT a good rebounder.

Fizers man defense IS nothing spectacular. His footspeed is not great and his lateral movement could use work. He doesn't have "quick hops" or a quick elevation off the ground like a Barkley or a Ratliff or a Cato (dare I say it?) - and his shotblocking anticipation isn't great. Just because you don't block shots doesn't mean you're not playing D, but jsut because you don't block shots doesn't mean you ARE playing D.

Trading Cato for Fizer is madness! It's giving up a potentially good defensive center for an unproven, undersized PF who may or may not even play well in the NBA and who looks to have a rebounding deficiency.

How about we give the Bulls Carlos and Thomas and Drew for Fizer? Seems a lot more fair and then by matching Fizer and Cato TOGETHER in the front court they can help nullify each others weaknesses.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DrNuegebauer (edited July 11, 2000).]

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

I wouldn't do the trade either.

A good center is worth more then a good power forward which is all I think Fizer will be.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

17. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

18. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Look everybody it's my 1,000th post-

Fizer is a legitimate post up threat. Something we don't have, unless Hakeem goes back in a time machine 5 years. Athletic, defensive centers are not quite as hard to find as thought to be. I personally think Keon Clark could be available from Denver (I'll throw this thought out there: KT/Drew/Walt for Clark/Stith?....both teams drop an overpriced player). Camby should be available. Jermaine O'Neal is available. Jerome Williams wouldn't be bad off the bench, Jahidi White works too, throw in an Adonal Foyle. Then in the draft, there's already 4 to name, and there could be more by the time the draft rolls around in Loren Woods (top 3 pick), Tyson Chandler (top 10 pick), Ken Johnson (mid to late first round), and Alvin Jones (late first round). So, we could go a year using Hakeem as our defensive presence (and trying to attract Foyle with our exception) then draft Ken Johnson (will be a 5th year senior, athletic, super shot blocker (over 5 per game), 6'11'', plays at OSU, so would be fine in a guard oriented offense. The reason he's not rated higher, is because his offense is.....nonexistent. If we got lucky and landed Woods....that'd be crazy. This team is not shooting for the 2000 season. We're shooting for 01-02 to make our impact. So grabbing pieces to the puzzle, like a real low post scorer with bulk is important. Fizer's ability to shoot, and mobility would make pick and rolls just plain lethal.

------------------

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we're not shooting for the 2000 seasonthen why take an undersized post threat? There are other post up threats out there. I'd rather pick one up from free agency - at least we know that they can play, and we know that at the end of next year we'll have plenty of room and be able to chase a legitimate post up threat with legitimate NBA size! Sure there are centers in college now who look good there, but it's all about making the transition to the NBA. Here we have a guy in our team who has done his adjustment time and has learned the ropes and is just now ready to make an impact and you want to toss him away for a short fat guy who can't rebound???? Doesn't make sense!

------------------

20. Gascon

Gascon Member

I like the trade. It would be merely academic until we make some significant free-agent moves, but it would help the chemistry in the long run.

------------------