1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets get homecourt advantage against Sonics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Apr 14, 2005.

?

Will the Rockets get homecourt advantage against Sonics?

1. Yes - We're gonna get it!

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. No - Seattle will win >1 or Rockets will lose >0

33 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. Neither - The Rockets won't play the Sonics in the 1st round

22 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. droxford

droxford Member

Assuming we play the Sonics in the first round...

For the Rockets to get homecourt advantage in the first round, two things must happen:

The Rockets must win all 3 of their remaining games (Nuggets, Clippers, Sonics - all at Houston)

AND

The Sonics must lose three of their remaining four games ( New Orleans, @ Minnesota, @Dallas, @Houston )

will the Rockets get the homecourt?

-- droxford

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

There's one more condition. Sacramento needs to win all of their remaining games. If they don't we get the 5th spot.

3. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

Nah. Seattle will beat New Orleans and Minnesota.

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

Maybe my math is screwed up but isn't there a less than 1% chance of this happening?

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Houston can win with or without homecourt I think!

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

playoff math is so confusing..

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Very true, we are road warriors.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This is a silly question: If the Rockets win out, they will pass or tie the Kings because the Kings will not beat Phoenix twice. We win the tiebreaker with the Kings because our conference record is better. Conclusion: If we run the table, we will be #5 and cannot face the Sonics in the first round. Why is this even being brought up again in a new thread? Hasn't it been beaten to death already?

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's the only thing worth talking about at the moment. At least until after the Rockets/Nuggets game on Saturday when we'll have a better idea where they'll finish in the standings.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I agree playoff seedings are the only thing worth talking about. But the Rockets finishing #6 and getting home court advantage over the Sonics in the first round is a complete pipe dream. We should talk about whether we finish #5, #6 or #7 and there are several threads on that already. I'll repeat myself on this one: If we win Saturday, we will finish #5; lose and it will be #7. I base this on how the tiebreakers come out and the fact (I guarantee) Sacramento will lose at least one of their two remaining games with the Suns.

11. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Very likely, I think we will finish either #5 or #7, the probability of our seeding is #5>#7>#6. Sorry no Sonics for us in the 1st round, now a more interesting question should be raised, would you want to face Mavericks or Spurs? I prefer Mavericks although they play much better than Spurs recently.:cool:

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But what if the Rockets win Saturday and the Nuggets lose again in Phoenix after that? Then Houston could tank the Sonics game at the end of the season to secure the 6th seed. Seattle in the first round is NOT a pipe dream.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

May I suggest a different attitude about all this: There are so many good teams in the west, 1 through 8, that the wisest course is to win all our remaining games in order to maximize the number of teams that end up below us in the standings. Lord knows who will come out of the first round. I would like the security of home court against Memphis, Denver, and Sacramento, should we end up playing any of them down the road.

14. jeremy99

jeremy99 Contributing Member

This is the smartest post the whole season I've seen regarding the playoffs. Keep winning, and let the pieces fall as they may.

15. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

If you want to play Sonics in the 1st round, how could we tank the Sonics game so as to boost their confidence? BTW, I don't want Rockets to lose their momentum as well as the winning streak. It would be sweet if we can carry a 7 game winning streak into playoff.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Please read what I said: I didn't say finishing #6 and facing the Sonics was a pipe dream. The pipe dream is we would finish #6 AND GET HOME COURT IN THE FIRST ROUND AGAINST THEM, especially if we "tank" the last game of the season against them.

#5 or #7 will be determined Saturday. Again, #6 is possible but not likely because of the remaining schedules and tiebreakers. If we finish #6, we will be ON THE ROAD against the Sonics. Don't underestimate them. With Rashard Lewis, Antonio Daniels and Fortson back, I expect a tough, nasty series that will bring the the currently latent anti-Sonics vibes we all have back to the surface. They will shove around and try to abuse Yao just like they did Olajuwon in the old days.