1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets be Sold for Two Billion Dollars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm posting this in this forum for a reason

The forced sell of the Clippers generated two billion dollars

The previous sell of a franchise the Bucks only months earlier generated six hundred million

I think Steve Ballmer bailed out the NBA cause Sterling would have hit the NBA with libel lawsuit

I don't think the NBA had a right to force Sterling out over those tapes.

A libel lawsuit lawsuit would have generated franchise value plus 3x that value.

Remember Sterling could have forced an owner vote on that.

2. Fantasma Negro

Will the Rockets sell for Three Billion Dollars? IB4L

3. adoo

adoo Member

the dizzying height of ignorance !

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

For being secretly taped having a conversation with a mistress

There was no due process with Adam Silver

5. Major

Major Member

Your concern for due process of Donald Sterling in a private matter where there's already a spelled out system in the franchise agreement is amusing, considering your total lack of interest in due process for the American people in the Russia investigation in something actually involving the government (why investigate? who cares?!).

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

huh....and it was a wise move in hindsight

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't understand libel charges based on indisputable comments caught in a recording. Separately, sports leagues have anti-trust exemptions probably for reasons similar like this; to allow for consistency among rules and values between organizations at a certain tier. It also makes it easier to force franchises to act in favor of public policy, like the Kennedy administration forcing Preston Marshall to draft blacks or lose the lease to D.C. Stadium/RFK.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No actually due process is required to remove an owner. A vote

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why do you think Sterling got times the value of the Bucks

The Clippers were in the bottom half of franchise values

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He didn't say anything negative about black people

BTW he had a long time black gm before everyone

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Still the wrong forum, FakePgabriel.

12. dandorotik

Sterling told Stiviano: "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games

In his first public comments in nearly two weeks after his ban from the NBA, Sterling appeared on CNN with Anderson Cooper and apologized, saying he was "not a racist", and asked for forgiveness.[79][80] He said he was "baited" by Stiviano into making the offensive comments

13. Major

Major Member

Sure - and Sterling could have forced that, but he instead agreed to voluntarily sell.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Forbes is looking at $500 million less for Alexander

The Rockets are a more valuable franchise

15. Major

Major Member

No they aren't. They are a franchise in Los Angeles that was also ascendant on the court. That is far multiples more than the relatively irrelevant Bucks. A franchise is worth what someone is willing to pay of it, and it's rare that a Los Angeles franchise comes up for sale.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

the whole story of Donald Sterling was sketchy , Ballmer the blue screen guy bailed them out, however , he paid 2 billions to get 1 billion back in tax credit. Everyone won something in return but the biggest stacks were awarded to Sterling , so you may wonder if : the tape thing was his idea in first place!

17. dandorotik

In February 2003, the Housing Rights Center of Los Angeles filed a housing discrimination case against Sterling on behalf of 18 tenants. The lawsuit featured several racist statements allegedly made by Sterling to employees, such as that "black people smell and attract vermin" and "hispanics just smoke and hang around the building" as well as Sterling's alleged intent to rent only to Korean tenants because "they will pay the rent and live in whatever conditions I give them". Part of the HRC case's resolution included U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer awarding the plaintiffs' attorney $4.9 million in attorneys fees. While the final terms for the plaintiffs were confidential, the judge said the fees were justified as the settlement obtained by the plaintiffs against Sterling was one of the largest of its kind and the public benefit terms were significant and wide-ranging

18. Major

Major Member

1. You don't get to make up your own reality.

2. "I have a black friend!" is not a defense for racist comments.

19. dandorotik

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[103] The lawsuit alleged that Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach".[101] The plaintiffs alleged that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid".[101][104] The suit also alleged that "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract" while Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003".[103]

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

For four times value

I saw two lawyers on NBC discussing a libel suit on MSNBC before the sale and they hit the price on the head if you believe the bucks were similar because of what happens in a libel suit