1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Portland make a play for D Mutombo?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mango, Jun 17, 2000.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The Hawks are probably going into a major rebuild mode and there have been rumors of D Mutombo moving on. Mutombo has a large contract and turns 34 next weekend. A team that feels that it is one player away from the top would be the most interested in Mutombo.

Trader Bob of the Blazers has free rein to spend money and Mutombo is probably the only defensive force in the laegue that could be considered a Shaq neutralizer. B Grant wants out from the Blazers as does Jermaine. Various trade scanrios are possible between Atlanta and Portland along with a third team.

Will Portland consider Mutombo?

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Mango,

I was wondering about this earlier today. I came up with the answer 'no' merely because, regardless of Dikembe's prowess on the boards and as a blocker, he cannot stop Shaq, which is Portland's primary goal.

Look for Portland to acquire 2 Sandwiches. Fight big aristotle with fat ayn rand. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Achebe,

Then you expect Portland to stick with the same basic roster?

Mutombo able to stop Shaq? No, but slow him down better than anybody else in the league. Jermaine doesn't look like he will ever fill out enough to stop Shaq and with older vets like Smith, Pip, SA, Detlef; Portland has a very small window of opportunity in which to win with the current roster.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

4. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Who can stop Shaq? There are a few players in this league that can have some success in slowing him down on a consistent basis. Mutombo is one, Mourning is another. The finger-wagging Zairian might be a good fit in Portland, as he would have little offensive responsibility, which is a good thing for him, and allow him to completley focus in on Defense and rebounding.

I don't know if the Hawks would let him go though, even for Grant and O'Neal, Mutombo is still the centrepiece of that team.
    It should be an interesting off-season though.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Mango
    Mutombo, Mourning, Duncan and THE CATOMIC BOMB [​IMG]

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I agree, Mutumbo would be a good fit for the Blazers, but because they are so old I believe their primary target will be McGrady, as people have been saying. And one of the main packages I've heard for McGrady has been Bonzi Wells and Brian Grant. I believe Portland would consider Mutumbo, but only if they couldn't get McGrady. They do need a guy to stop Shaq, but you don't pass up McGrady's talent and youth, two things this team really needs.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

7. Achebe

To be honest (and perhaps naive) I believe that if/when Tim Duncan leaves the SAS for other pastures, that Robinson should go to the Blazers. He's strong enough to push Shaq off the block, and if Duncan does leave, the Spurs would want to go into instantaneous rebuild mode anyhoo.

I think Charles Barkley would also be a perfect fit for the Blazers. He's strong enough to push Shaq out, and he wouldn't whine (like B. Grant) about doing his job.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited June 17, 2000).]

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Robinson on the Blazers would be scary. Could he coexist with Rasheed and Pippen though? I highly doubt they would make a push for him because of his age.

Cat, where did you hear that? From what I have heard Bonzi is not on the trading block and Portland is focusing on getting someone to eventually replace Sabonis who will be retiring in the next few years.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

9. The Cat

I found that I think on nbatalk.com a few days ago- I'll try and see if I can find a link for you.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

10. The Cat

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Atlanta held Shaq to an average of 16 ppg. That's pretty good against Shaq, considering what other big men do they have?

Against Atlanta Shaq averaged 33 MPG, 12 REB, 3.5 AST, .5 STL, 2 BLK, with 39.5% FG%, and 16.7% FT% in 2 games.

In the 2nd game, he managed to foul out in 28 MINUTES

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

12. Achebe

NIKE, thanks for the info. I stand corrected. I assume that Dikembe was doing the majority of that effort on O'Neal in combination with Lorenzen Wright & A. Henderson.

Hypothetical question. If Dikembe can limit Shaq to those scores (23 and 9 in 2 games), is he the better fit than a David Robinson and Rasheed duo up front? With David Robinson you have an offensive force in the game, with Dikembe a rebounding monster. Given Dikembe's supposed success (Wright or Henderson's influence in those games?), I'd have to agree with you guys. Besides, seeing all of those long arms in the post swatting balls away would be amazing.

Scary either hypothetical, imaginary, dreamcasting way.

------------------

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Interesting Mango, keep it up. [​IMG]

I think Mutumbo is exactly what Portland needs. A big man who can shut down other big men like Duncan and Shaq. AND a rebounder. Portland will lose some offensive versatility, but they have plenty of other players who can pick up the slack.

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think it would be a great fit for Portland. Although noone matches up well vs. Shaq I agree Motumbo matches up better than most others.
    I just hope they trade Pip for him, because I don't want t see him even getting near a NBA finals.

------------------

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Portland needs to make a play for a coach. Mutombo would be a great addition though.

------------------
    Too-Rye-Aye!

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I just wanted to reply and say what a great thread and post Mango.

I didn't realise you had the ability, i thought you just lurked around telling people to be more serious.

Although McGrady would be a great addition and would give the Balzers some kind of future, it would appear the thrust of their title aspirations is now, as

Smith is 31, Quitten is 35, Shrimp is 37 and Sabonis is 36 (his knees are 84)

Wallace is 26, Stoudamire is 27, Wells is 24 and Grant is 28

And for that reason maybe Mutumbo should be their priority if they want that title in the next 2 years before the window passes. Plus offensively it is Wallace and Smith team, which with pip and shrimp and the side is plenty.

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited June 20, 2000).]

17. Achebe

Smeg is right, right peculiar.

The time is now for the balzers. Pippen is old and expensive. They have to justify his contract with a win, or else we win the trade.

e.g.)
    CB for crap to Phoenix.
    Phoenix somehow sends Horry to LAL for Ceballos? was Dallas involved? what the hell happened here?

LAL wins the championship.
    LAL won the trade over Phoenix or Dallas or whoever. They didn't win the trade over Houston because that's going back too far. Portland doesn't win the trade over Seattle if they win w/ Scottie, just the trade w/ Houston.

See? HUHHH?
    homina homina homina.

'If your nose is bleeding boy, your picking it too much... or not enough.'

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Achebe,

Here's the Horry to LA story

Traded by the Suns with Joe Kleine to the L.A. Lakers for Cedric Ceballos and Rumeal Robinson on 1/10/97.

And here's how Cedric, phoenix and Dallas fit in

Selected by the Phoenix Suns in the second round (48th pick overall) of the 1990 NBA Draft. Traded by the Suns to the Los Angeles Lakers for a first-round draft choice in 1995, 1996, or 1997 on 9/23/94. Traded by the Lakers with Rumeal Robinson to the Suns for Robert Horry and Joe Kleine on 1/10/97. Traded by the Suns to the Dallas Mavericks for Dennis Scott on 2/18/98.

Not bad for a 48th pick

I am not convinved the window will close on Portland so fast, i just think they have there best opportunity in the next couple of years, and for that reason would go after Mutumbo, maybe by trading Grant and O'neal, and then do another trade (stoudamire) to get McGrady, whether these come off, Portland are in a great position to keep making runs at the title cause the obscene amounts of cash (and taxes) Allen can afford.

I think a line-up of
    Mutumbo
    Grant
    Pippen
    Smith
    Stoudamire

with a bench of
    Sablownees
    Shrimp
    Wells
    Anthony

Could give the take the title away from the Lakers pretty easy.

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!