1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Phoenix need to make a trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CVcrew, Jul 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

With Phoenix signing QRichardson it looks as if things may get a little crowded for them. They have 3 pgs now, and two starting 2's if Richardson signs. One has to wonder which of their two guards is gonna be happy being a sixth man now. I would love Joe Johnson on this team. I have heard the suggestion of using a big two as the point. If you want a big 2 guard or support that theory this is your guy! Now im not sure that we could pry him away if Phoenix is set on this guy being sixth man of the year but I get the feeling someone is gonna be mighty disappointed! With a quick overview they seem to be weak at the pf spot (DEPTH WISE). They also dont really have a starting 5, no one to speak of. Maybe they could use the TE to get a big guy now.... say dampier! Or maybe they could use MoT on the frontline as a nice reserve. He isn't an intimidating force but if Amare goes down this team is toast. They have no depth upfront, no real player upfront besides Amare. Just another thought... what do you guys think?

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

they have signed a lot of players (including Nash) to bad contracts... and I am not sure who the third PS is you are refering to

I think the rockets want to avoid the bad contracts

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If they had tossed in Joe Johnson, they may have had Tracy McGrady (depending on what Tracy thought). They're not dumping him ... no way, no how.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Joe Johnson was a player who Phoenix had to include to even have a shot at the McGrady sweepstakes. I seriously doubt they're going to trade him for the trade exception or Mo Taylor

5. CVcrew

They have Nash, Eisley, and Barbarosa. Now obviuosly Eisley would not fit into our plans unless he came with Joe Johnson. Barbarosa would serve serviceable on this team as well. While he is not that splah at pg everyone is wanting he could take Lue's spot on the roster next year while adding depth at the position this year. His contract has to be reasonable.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Phx reportedly is trying to move Marion, and his silly contract, for a 'big', a 5 who can balance their roster.

Lots of luck.

7. CVcrew

I thought it was Amare that was the deal breaker for Phoenix? Without Amare they would have no one upfront? :confused:

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

I don't think the Suns would want to pay Amare's backup $7 MIL. :)

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

it was reported to be Joe Johnson... of course the only one doing the talking was the Orlando jackas... errr GM doing the talking

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Suns HAVE to make a trade. They are overextending themselves. Taking the logic that most teams can only afford 2 MAX contract guys let's look at the numbers.....

Nash has a near max contract.
    Marion has a max contract
    Stoudamire is about to get a max contract soon.
    JJ is going to get a solid contract probably worth 8-9M per year.

There just isnt enough money to keep all of those guys. And that's without throwing in Q Richardson either.

Nash and Stoudamire are there for the long haul. I feel Marion will be delt, perhaps for 2 or 3 role players with one of them being a serviceable center.

JJ, will be a tough call. I am sure Phoenix will want to resign him but it might be close as to see if they have the money to do so when the time comes to do it.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

probably not, but its better than paying juwon howards backup $7 mil.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I thought the Clippers' game plan was to shoot for Kobe, if that falls through then match the Suns' offer to Richardson?

Also, not to turn this into a Suns discussion in the GARM forum but if I was Phoenix, Marion is the guy I would definately keep.

And Joe Johnson is out of the question, he wont be moved....

13. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Barbosa intrigues me. He is great at stealing the ball, defensive-minded w/long arms & shot decent last year. Great upside IMO (of course it could be similar to Pike & MoT having great games when they play vs Rox)

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You don't believe he's available, do you? Barbarino ain't goin' nowhere.

15. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

what about Freddie "Boom-Boom" Washington.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd welcome him back...