1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will NeNe be our back up Center next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brown Lost It, May 21, 2017.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I hope he does not retire and the Rockets re-sign him, but it looks like we will need another center or two either way.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Are we that desperate already?

EDIT: OOPS. I replied to the wrong thread.

#2 ROXTXIA, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

he was great for us last season

he would be good if he could play every game but really he is a great third string center at this point

i hope our center line up next season is cousins/capela/nene

capela would be perfect as a backup and a good starter, but i hate how none of our bigs provide inside scoring

PyroTex likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he is, we're in trouble.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Not if Corey Brewer has anything to say about it

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope he returns and retires a Rocket

Consummate professional

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oops, I responded to the wrong thread. I like Nene, and I'm sure the team does, too. He seems to be the only Rocket allowed to shoot the midrange.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

for a 2-3 year deal he's no doubt worth a try. i doubt he'll pull a corey brewer on us. he's a much better player.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I like Nene, he's a great vet presence on and off the court. He still has game too, he's an excellent PnR man. He's also solid as a post defender against the bigger centers in the league.

That being said, his lack of rebounding and rim protection kills us on defense. We absolutely need rim protection and defensive rebounding from our backup center.

Its a tough spot. We could probably keep Nene for the cheap at the room exception which would allow us to allocate all of our cap elsewhere. He's great value on that contract for his talent. That being said that leaves us with a hole defensively, a backup center that fills our needs would likely cost 10+ mill per (Dedmon/Len/T.Chandler).

If we had a PF who could shoot, protect the rim and get some defensive rebounds we could probably keep Nene without suffering so much when Capela sits. The only guy who fills that description is Ibaka.

baller4life315 likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If we wants to come back it's a no-brainer. Both practically and sentimentally. That said, I share ThatBoyNick's concerns. Given our style of play with a stretch four or small-ball four, it only makes sense for our centers to be aces on the glass.

Anderson for Tyson Chandler works on paper. Not sure why Phoenix does it, but having both Capela and Chandler manning the center position gives us 48 minutes of size, rebounding and unselfish play at the five spot. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the idea.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Do we have a plan to replace Nene at the back up 5?

12. JW86

JW86 Member

No he better not.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

a lot of other good options at the vet min for backup center. some that can play all season.

morey has always loved a passed his prime backup center than can still play like he's in his prime for 10mpg. camby, deke, nene...

so i predict one of - chandler, gortat, noah, nene, gasol.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Noooooooo, dude is done.

DD

J.R. likes this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Never thought I would say this but I’d rather javale McGee as the backup C.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

give the kid a chance. it's his time. if he blows it, you figure something else out, but he's good enough to play 8-10 minutes a night in the backup role to start the season, see if he can get something going.

But right now, our focus should be on adding a 4 that can play heavy minutes ...because right now, we don't have a single one on the roster.