1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey's Strategy Change?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 18, 2012.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

More than most GMs, Morey doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to get locked into a single strategy; I see him as one who constantly surveys the situation and alters his approach and decisions as needed.

At the beginning of the summer, Morey had his eye on Howard, Lin and Asik and knew he'd have to give up a lot of assets to make that happen. Since then, many parts of the equation have changed:

* We now actually have Lin -- the player AND the salary.
    * It appears we'll actually have Asik and his salary, too.
    * We have FOUR players who have looked really good in summer league. Before, Morey was probably fine with trading some of these guys; now, the thought no doubt makes him queasy.
    * Howard is STILL on the market. The Magic don't want him back, the Nets can't get him, and LA needs a third team to pull off a trade for him.

I'm wondering if Morey sees the team differently now -- in a more powerful position regarding a trade for Howard or Bynum. Maybe he's starting to see that he can play hardball with the Magic and not give up nearly as much as he might have previously thought he'd need to.

Thoughts?

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect he probably has hundreds of simulations and scenario based excel sytle sheets as he loads in and out scenarios. Probably a few guys running different models and then morey takes all that and presents a few' if this then that' kinda stuff to les. I am sure les probably enjoys that and if I was owner I would..it's cool to see all the stats and simulations of 'if we had dwight' and 'what the summer league numbers tell us in relation to trade' I suspect he has a big board and assigns a value to each and every player at each position. Sure he probably has folks dedicated to understanding the state of each team caps and their future. So probably a board room with each worker bee updating morey on xyz team current cap and roster then morey and his brain team banging out scenarios.

It would be neat to get a feel for what goes on in the decision process. I think it would be neat to attend one of his public events and perhaps ask him about the process. I have worked with forecasting modeling for airline revenue management and the topics are similar. It's taking real world data points and stretching that into identifying exceptions.. Finding good players or good contract scenarios that fit best. To that end I think morey is on top of it. He can't do anything about houston not being as sexy as NY or LA but he is going to put us in the best position and giving les all he needs to make educated sign offs on moves. Ultimately I think les is calling the shots and morey is letting him know all the possible outcomes.

3. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

I tend to think of Morey leading a team of three crack Ivy League team of statisticians and econometricians who works in a room full of crazy ass gadgetry and super computers systematically mapping out every imaginable possibility and associated probabilities and then acting on what gives the greatest likelihood of success.

In reality he's prolly just a fat dude that's really intelligent and occasionally plugs numbers into a spreadsheet.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Um... yeah. Okaaaaaaay...

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Isn't LA with Bynum in the same situation the Orlando was in with Howard? Did they learn anything by observing? Why not solve that problem now with LA getting Howard and getting rid of Bynum?

Howard to LA
    Bynum to Houston
    KMart, MMorris and Livingston and picks from both LA and Houston to Orlando

Throw in a whatever draft picks placate the press and the masses....

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6127678

The numbers work and even though the numbers work, this seems a bit lop-sided against Orlando... maybe they deserve it for being so greedy?

6. thisiscaketown

Well, either the Rockets end up getting a star or tanking. Better than the 0.500 basketball this franchise has been through the past few years.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Borrowed from another thread:

Sure sounds to me like Morey thinks he's dealing from a position of power now and is going to hold out for a deal that lets him keep most of the guys he really wants to hang onto. I see Jones as the only one of the Four Rooks that ends up in a Magic uni, and I've got faith that Morey will manage to shed any bad contracts we have to take on to get that done.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

1) I don't think the summer league has had any impact on how Morey or the Magic feel about the rookies. The Rockets liked the rookies before and they like them now. But they also know that summer league performances are not necessarily indicative of how a player will play against veteran NBA competition. Orlando knows this as well. Adam Morrison averaged 21 points in the summer league.

2) Signing Lin and Asik gives us no added leverage. The only thing that's given us more power has been Brooklyn dropping out of the running.

Regarding the quoted post above, if true, it makes me hopeful Lamb would not be included in the deal. I don't see the Rockets painting themselves in a corner at SG by trading both Lamb and Martin.

9. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

The strategy is there is no strategy

10. moreyball

moreyball Member

I like the idea of Morey telling Orlando to find a better offer and if they do to come back to us, and when Orlando can't find it...

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I believe Howard himself said he may miss most of next season because of his injury. Don't have a link, just read in another thread.

To contradict that, D12 said today that he thinks he will be healthy come season opener.

Mixed signals from Howard, plus the elevated play of our rookies probably explains if Morey is shifting his position.