1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey go after Pau Gasol again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Will he?

1. yes, cause Dwight is too diva

42 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. yes, cause so we can add Spain next to Turkey and Taiwan

66 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. no, he's too old

159 vote(s)
    49.7%
  4. no, we need Dwight and Dream/McHale to teach him how shoot a 3 foot jumper

53 vote(s)
    16.6%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmmm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I1YCQrTb-GM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Plan C or D.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It seems you are not serious about this because of your options but I am. I think Gasol is the perfect fit for this team. He brings rebounding and some better defense to the 4 spot. Even at his age he is still one of the best PF's in the league and while he is not a stretch 4. He does have a midrange jumper and could work like PPat did only better. Plus if he doesn't work out he doesn't have to be anything more than a one year rental. We will have a lot of cap space to pick up someone later. And also maybe one of our young PF's develops enough to be a starter. If nothing else our young PF's will get one more year of experience.

Of course the only way I would do it is if the price tag is not too high.

1 person likes this.
  4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If he's amnestied then sure. But I wouldn't trade for him.

1 person likes this.
  5. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

He's had 3 triple-doubles in his last 7 games and averaged 14 pts, 11.5 reb and 6.3 ast against the Spurs. Pau is still more than capable of playing on the highest level, no matter what some people think.

Man, if we only had Adelman... Gasol operating in the high post would be unstoppable.

6. sweetness1

sweetness1 Member

Pau has a unique skill set but his work ethic, competitive spirit and motivation are all questionable at best. If he had even been a second tier guy in the intangibles (mental and emotional traits), he'd be a lock as a hall of famer.

As it stands, he's just another semi-regular all star who otherwise wasted away his talent.

If Pau could barely muster the effort once a week or a few times a month with kobe riding his ass daily, you can be certain, it would almost never happen on a team like the rockets.

7. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

this, we still need veterans to teach our young team

8. tinman

Supporting Member

No I think he would work well with Asik. We got no post up players, he still has skill and also he can shoot free throws.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I would welcome Dwight, but with caution because of how he played with the Lakers.

My last option meant we go for Dwight but he still needs ALOT OF WORK in the post as well as being a leader.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I would rather obtain a younger player who will be in his prime when this team hits its prime and is able to compete for a title.

11. sweetness1

sweetness1 Member

LOL, anyone who thinks Pau has anything to teach to anyone is delusional.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

None of those poll options seem correct to me.

I think he can go after Gasol if he can't sign Dwight or a star PF.

Next year Gasol will be on the final year $19m contract.

He can be a temporary fill-in at PF. If he doesn't work out, he's gone and we have the $19m cap space back to go after another star like Kevin Love.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think if all else fails, Morey will pursue Gasol. He won't make it seem that way, but he will.

I wouldn't be opposed to it either. As an expiring contract which can protect our cap space while being the best PF on the team he is worth it. He is overpaid, but I'm willing to pay him that much if it means pushing us to homecourt advantage next season and allowing at least one of the current PF's on the squad to continue to develop from the bench. Any one of D-Mo, T-Jones or T-Rob may develop into a solid starter by the end of next season. Particularly D-Mo I can see developing the exact same game as a young Gasol while working hard in practice, so it would help a lot for them to go against each other in practice.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If we strike out on Dwight/CP3, Morey's plan B is Pau Gasol. Just makes too much sense.

- Legit Post threat at the 4 and 5 position
    - Can Spot up for Jumpers
    - Expiring Contract
    - Would be cheap to acquire since the Lakers will be in luxury tax hell

Rockets will own Pau's bird rights as well and he could possibly sign for a cheaper contract if we are able to get acquire another star in the summer of 2014. We are going to have a more competitive roster in the 2013-14 season. Plus, this means the Rockets will still be one of the major bidders in the Star-studded free agency of 2014.

15. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

After pau recent play. I could very much see morey going after him again. I wouldnt mind. But not for an outrageous contract....but maybe a bad one lol. :p

16. opticon

opticon Member

If I had to choose I would take Pau as a rental with bird rights over a long term deal for Josh Smith.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I really like Gasol. I think he would be much more inclined to come to houstonthen he was in the sterned trade given the horrible situation at the lakers and the fact we are young with talent. Lakers as constructed, are done. Winning solves alot of problems. And maybe if we actually utilize his talents properly he'll continue to be a top pf. rather this then locking up a subpar 4 long term.

18. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

post moved for one, none of our bigs can do that, also what part of AMNESTY dont u u derstand, we can have him for cheap and have enough room for a major star or two

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pau knows how to win. Our players right now don't.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope so. I would prefer Gasol to Dwight. He is taller and much better.