1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Melo be in the 6-man rotation vs the Warriors in playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 5, 2018.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The thing is, were you, and everybody else, singing this same tune last year when we were first trying to get Melo? I get that he had a rough year, but I'm not letting a down season with Westbrook completely change my opinion on him. Obviously I'm not as high on him as I was, with the inefficient season and him being one year older, but guess what - we got him at a veteran minimum.

It seems like a down season playing with Westbrook should be expected based on how everyone is playing after leaving OKC at this point, not a gigantic, value-killing shock. We tried to pay a trade premium for him last year, but now we get him at depressed value because he had a bad season playing with the most selfish player in the league.

I'm optimistic about it, I don't think it's guaranteed to work out or anything, but the team had to do something with GS re-igniting the arms race. Melo is one of the greatest scorers of all time - will be fun to see what him, Harden, and CP3 can muster up. People always bring up advanced-stats as the end all be all, but efficiency is largely a function of difficulty of shot. Sure, Melo may still have bad habits to work out, but he's also never been an offense that will generate this many open looks since the Olympics.

rhee likes this.
  2. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

That speakes to ring obsession most
    Where did I said that? I honestly don't know how you came to that conclusion.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well... ring obsession is relevant since its truly the end goal.

But Kobe also happens to be an all time great guard defender. He was also a better and more willing passer than Melo. And though hit and miss depending on individual style, a better leader than Melo.

But absolutely, people still get on Kobe for his lack of efficiency. To me, that's what keeps him out of the top 10 all time. If he was a more efficient scorer, we are probably talking about a top 5 all time guy.

The issue with Carmelo, is that's he's an inefficient volume scorer (really inefficient now, hopefully can return to at least being average.... average TS% last year was 55.5%), and other than rebounding, doesn't really excel in any other area.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here:

You are clearly indicating here that people who have similar career FG% should be held in the same regard. You are offended that they are not.

If you didn't mean it, no worries. You can just state what you believe now. Should people who have "45% Career FG" such as Harden, Melo and Kobe all be regarded as equivalent scorers for their career?

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Wow he is being really careful with CP3. Dantoni is growing up.

6. BackdoorHarden

I had this nightmare last night of Ryno getting torched by Curry and then his face turned into Melo.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's exactly what I said …. a few pages back and have been quoted multiple times with silly responses like we'll do the same to Curry. Curry at least attempts to play defense.

Melo will help them get there but he wont help them win it , he'll be on the bench because he's just unplayable against that team in any win or go home series. He couldn't get on the court against Utah - The Jazz ….. and people expect him to be playable against GSW in meaningful games ?!!

That dude don't even try to play defense.

Zboy likes this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Curry is equatable to Harden on offense and defense. Both are MVPs and are in MVP form.

Melo is worse than both in both categories and does not make his teammates better like the other two do either.

It is a laughable comparison at best especially because Melo's best days are well behind him.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There's a reason his teams have performed poorly in the playoffs - He's a high volume , low efficiency chucker who doesn't give any effort on defense. When the best player on your team is as described …. you aren't gonna win many games.

Regular season , I think he helps the win total …. which affects playoff seeding. But when we get to the post season , he's unplayable.

Zboy likes this.
  10. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I think Melo tries to an extent, he's not the guy giving 120% on defense, but it's not like he's just aloof on defense either. He just doesn't have the foot speed on defense, and he was never a high IQ defender in the first place. The place he really needs to try is in working on his body in the off-season, and that's a harder day to day grind type of situation. If he was committed to his body the way someone like Lebron is, that would at least help to close the gap for him and fight father time a bit because he was 33 last season and will be 34 next season, this isn't a 36/37 year old player.

The regular seasons games vs the Warriors will certainly give an idea. The regular season as a whole will. The thing with the Warriors is that they are a team that makes it difficult to hide players on defense, possibly even more so now with Cousins.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

No way we can't include him in the core rotation come play off time. Melo and Harden will both have to be engaged on the defensive end to try to make up for the loss of Ariza/Luc's contribution.

If Melo and Harden play off the ball I don't see a huge issue with attempting to outscore the Warriors. We'll still be a switch heavy system that won't be as effective on defense but it's reasonable to assume that we have a shot at outscoring any team if everyone included is healthy and plays team ball.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dude has the worst playoff win percentage ….ever.

Dude just had his worst season ever.

Dude was given millions ….. to go away.

Dude will sign for the veteran minimum.

Some of you guy's think he's the second coming ….

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't play Carmelo.

Doesn't appear Melo will be in the 6-man rotation vs the Warriors in the regular season; first game Thursday.

Carl Herrera likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keep bumping!

Carl Herrera likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, this is reality. And we don't even have to wait for the playoffs for Melo's ouster and for the 6 man rotation.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

@YOLO @J.R.

[​IMG]

Just went through the last two pages...

Melo clowns.

Hilarious.

#96 Zboy, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    harold bingo, YOLO and J.R. like this.
  17. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

No need. We wants defence not poor offence. We needs more 3 not 2 points. Let him go

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, we found out...dude is garbage on both ends

MELOOFs really tried to sell us on Melo’s defense not actually being that bad during the summer :rolleyes:

he shouldn’t even play 24 seconds against GS

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LMFAO @Carl Herrera for thinking Tillman can actually afford a 6 man rotation in light of his situation.

Last time I checked you could only have 5 on the floor anyways

topfive likes this.