1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KJ McDaniels ever crack the rotation here in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes, he is capable of doing that consistently with more minutes and regular rotation. KJ cannot.

Brew gets too much undeserved hate around here.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

KJ did crack the rotation. He got more mpg than Brewer did for the time Beverley was out. He was even getting more than Dekker and Harrell. He got his chance like Dekker and Harrell did and he failed to capitalize like Dekker and Harrell did.

Bottom line: coach gave him a chance and decided Dekker, Harrell and Brewer are better players for the bench with Gordon. I agree. KJ is just not that good. Brewer's defense is most definitely better, for instance.

3. raining threes

Short and sweet, yes you're overthinking this.

KJ cant shoot worth a lick and basically plays a dumb brand of BB. I'm talking Terrance Jones level of dumb when it comes to knowing much less understanding defensive rotations.

heypartner likes this.
  4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

You do not change lineup if the team is winning, they aren't just winning, they are streaking wins.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Another way to say the same thing is

Rockets are 27-5 when KJ gets < 10 minutes

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The thing is , I don't think KJ played particularly poorly during that stretch . It came down to bev came back and the coach picked Corey over KJ .

Also I don't think Corey's defense is better . He's incredibly undisciplined and despite his effort makes positioning and rotational mistakes that are unacceptable for a player of his experience .

KJ may make similar mistakes but there should be a rational expectation that as he gains experience those mistakes decrease .

Look , neither of us attends practice so all we have to evaluate is the game outcomes . But because of the small sample size and the differing situations in which each player is on the floor , it's difficult to come to any meaningful conclusion .

And to your point about Dekker earning PT and KJ not , Brewer has been stealing time from Dekker lately and I can't understand why .

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

with all the time invested in Beverley&Brewer ,i think KJ may had the chance to be something closer to an adequate NBA role player if given consistent minutes

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has had 2 years here to fix his shot, if he wanted to play, he should be in the Gym every day working on his weaknesses, he seems like a guy who has worked on some things, but not his biggest weakness - he is a great athlete but not a great basketball player.

He could play a lot on a crappy team, but not on Houston, he is trade bait.

DD

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's like saying falling of a 30 story building is better than falling off a 20-story building

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Um...no. Unless we have a bad injury and my boy makes sure our chemistry stays legit.

RocketsTerps and HTX Ninja like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He did crack it and went back to semi oblivion.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

he should be traded to philly. might get some pt there

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Does no one else remember when KJ had a couple pretty solid showings early in the year? I don't even remember him having any particularly *bad* games, so I'm not sure exactly what gives in his minutes being cut down to zero so quickly.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

No I have "terrible" feeling Brewer will be amnestied

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

No/ Thread end.

Don't let KJ become the new DMO with the repeated threads.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He looked lost, turned the ball over, and missed open 3s in multiple garbage time opportunities.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

KJ would be playing if he could he threes.

I'm also in the category that is sick of him playing selfish basketball in garbage time. Particularly someone with so little in the way offense, he just jacks up ugly shots that never fall. I agree with who said he could survive as a cutter off of Harden but it's definitely a leap to think you deserve to go from the bench to primetime when you can't get there on your own.

I don't think it's Brewer over him, I don't think it's a competition right now anyway. I think it's just him. It's hard to play a guard who can't score on this level.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, but that was garbage time. He was given real minutes earlier in the season and seemed ok. Once relegated to garbage time, his mind may have been in a different place. Not trying to excuse it, but I just wonder if he got real minutes again (like Brewer's?), he might show something. Considering that he works with these guys every day, though, obviously gotta assume MDA knows better than we do, but just kinda strange.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think the point brought up earlier in the thread was really valuable - that much of McDaniel's early success was a result of him playing off of James Harden. McDaniels is not good enough yet to run with starters which means he needs to find a way to at least not be an offensive liability and to be a strong defensive presence within the 2nd unit.

20. hvic

hvic Member

he just needs to play harder and get some coach nude pics to blackmail.