1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will JVG start MoT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kubli9, Jun 9, 2003.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the couple of Rockets games this season on TNT, I clearly remember JVG stating how "gifted" an offensive player Mo Taylor was. Granted, MoT got hot in those games (LA, WAS) and was nailing that baby hook. So, do you think JVG will look to put MoT back in the starting lineup or stick with Eddie Griffin? I'm hoping he will, with the money MoT makes, and with Eddie's inexperience and youth, MoT should be starting with Eddie off the bench. What do you think?

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

too early to tell... i think all these questions will be answered in training camp

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Rebounding - Edge Griff
    Defense - Edge Griff
    Offense - Edge Mo
    Passing - Pick Em.

Its like picking the lesser of two evils. Personally, I like Mo off the bench. Cato is so poor on O, he adds some credible inside scoring with the 2nd unit. With Cato's strong D, Mo's defense weaknesses can be masked as well as his rebounding.

Griff's shot blocking skills add a deterant in order to keep people out of the lane and away from Yao, thus keeping him out of foul trouble. Plus, Griff's limited 3 point shooting can help Yao have more operating room.

4. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Thought - If Grumpy somehow "inspired" MoT to play D, he would be a bad man.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I just don't see either one as a JVG 'man'. Maybe JVG can turn either/both into real honesttogoodness4's. If so, JVG is da man.

I would more likely imagine personnel moves will be in the offing.

I suspect EG will wind up a Knick and Spree a Rock. That leaves lots of millions to get together on evening the deal for cap, but I expect it will be discussed.

I just look for Spree and #9 for Cato and EG.

6. Sane

Sane Member

All we need to know is that, if Griffin is being soft and trigger-happy, Van Gundy won't hesitate to NAIL HIS ASS down to the bench for a few games.

Mo T tries hard, but I'm not sure Van Gundy will be happy with 5 or 6 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Hopefully, Griffin will show up even more bulked up than he did last summer, and Van Gundy will bring out a new attitude in him. This could be the beginning of a new Eddie Griffin if he took the time to improve himself this summer.

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well, considering Griff is only worth a dime bag, I'd start the "more experienced" guy.

8. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I allways thought EG had better numbers when he came off the bench.So unless VG can make him hussle through out the WHOLE game I'd rather see him start...on the bench!
    Another thing is that before his injury,Taylor was considered to be a good player to start the offense.By that I mean he would have a hot 1st quarter,scoring the first point of the game.Maybe we could use he like that again.

ALA

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Agree with you 100%. I said from the beginning that Eddie was the one who stood to gain the most from Gundy being the new coach. I think Gundy is just the type to turn Eddie into the monster we've all waited for him to become.

Last offseason we get Yao, and this offseason we get Van Gundy? I don't think a fan of a non-playoff team ever felt so good. :D

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

codell -
    While he's no Chris Webber, MoT is actually a decent passing PF. I'd give him the edge in that category.

Although IMO it's way too early to tell how Van Gundy will utilize the PF spot, one thing will be obvious very early on - the physical condition Taylor shows up in for the pre-season practices.

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

MoT is nice to have on defense...at least when our alternative is Griff. MoT doesn't get pushed around nearly as much as Griff.

On the ball, MoT is stronger on defense. Weakside help, Griff is 100% better.

Rebounding? MoT actually impoved this towards the end of the season. Most players focus on improving something in the offseason.

I say keep the personell changes down to a min (unless an op too good to pass) and lets see what this team can do under some leadership. Use the trade deadline instead to make adjustments where something is working.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Unless Eddie shows significant improvement this offseason then there is no reason to start EG over MoT. MoT was $$$ on offense last year when he started getting his legs back on his shot. You could actually see some sort of shape other than round on his body later in the season too.

Also, I would take MoT in man defense since EG just gets pushed around in the post and did not show much passion last year. MoT looked like he was trying even though he may not be great on defense he at least knows how to body up on guys and use his pounds. Didn't MoT almost get in a fight sticking up for Yao last year too? When will we ever see EG do that unless its someone trying to steal his bud.

13. Sane

Sane Member

Here's what we saw last season:

MoT came to an understanding that his shot (mid range) just isn't falling. So he goes ahead and develops an amazing post game. He gets the hook shot and "back-it-in" working to perfection. I think he made around 90% of his hookshots.

Now here's the question: How good can Mo be if he shows up in the shape he showed up in that tragic season where he tore his ACL? Is he smart enough to get himself into phenomenal shape, so that he can get his midrange shot back (needs better jump) and will he keep a strict diet to preserve the bulk/muscle that he already has, so that he can be our ideal PF till Griffin learns consistency from playing on the bench?

I think that MoT can come out of this season earning his $7M paycheck, if he shows up at camp in great shape, and decides that he's going to bring back his midrange game to add to his post game, and actually be one of the better PF's in the league. The guy can do great things, he's offensively up there with any other PF in the league (strictly offesnively). Let's see what he does with his talent.

14. x_trepidation_x

How many times do we have to discuss this issue?

Does Mo Taylor do anything right on the court besides being aggressive?

Rebounding = Poor
    Points Per Shoot = Very Poor
    Height = Poor
    Speed = Poor
    Contract = Poor

Again, what is the benefit of Taylor? This guy needs to be traded immediately. But who would take such a contract?

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Taylor seemed to always lok good against sub-par competition, but against the elite 4's, he didn't do much. Thats not saying Eddie did alot either, but its not like Taylor worked over Garnett,Brand,Wallace,Webber,Duncan,Malone, or even Amare as far as that go. Those same players that bullied Griffin, did the same against Taylor. I saw 225lbs Garnett abuse the much heavier Taylor in the post. This bring us back to the same problem we've had discussion about since last yr. Taylor, for all his offensive gifts is a piss poor rebounder and even worse defender despite having size. Griffin is a good weakside defender, but gets pushed around and is limited offensively, but a better rebounder than Taylor. Until we can unload Taylor and his bloated salary, I think Taylor will continue to come off the bench when Eddie struggles which may be part of the reason why Edie is pushing so hard. JVG lived with the non explosive non rebounding LJ, so maybe Taylor do have a shot. I still prefer him to come off the bench though.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If EG stays, it will be fun to watch JVG 'handle' him, develop him. Might JVG see another (less brittle) Marcus Camby in EG?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

MoT is not a decent passing powerfoward. He is a blackhole. He never averaged 2 assists even when starting.

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Actually, MoT took Webber to school the last time they played. He scored on Webber 4-5 times in a row in the 4th quarter. If some people actually watched the games instead of quoting some 1.02 pps figure they would know this.

We have seen MoT show a money midrange shot his first year here, and a nice back to the basket game with an unstoppable baby hook in the lane in his third year. He bodies up on defense, but is not a good shot blocker or rebounder. IMO, if he could get some fire and use his body well for blocking out, he could get 8 rpg and be a solid asset for us. We could really use his sweet midrange shot to create spacing for Steve and Yao Ming.

He came back fairly well from his injury - let's give him some time to show if he will fit in or not.

19. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Training camp will tell. I think JVG will be looking for someone at the 4 to really step it up and show him something.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I remember watching Mo T school the Lakers in the fourth quarter on TNT last year. He single-handedly carried us into OT. Too bad he plays like a p*ssy most of the time. He still has a good upside, but is below average compared to the Duncan, Webber, Malone, Gasol, etc.