1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will JVG play the starters if the last game of the season is meaningless?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lunaticrocket, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Mentioned this in a post, but I think it has the merits of a discussion.

This scares me to death. Suppose that the last game of the season is not a deciding factor. We already either lost or secured home court. Will Van Gundy still play the starters against Utah? I would imagine he would not, but then again it is Van Gundy, so he could be saying that the team still needs to improve to get in playoff shape, etc...

Has their been a similar situation in the past where two teams meet the last game of the season and in the first round of the playoffs? What happened?

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I do recall JVG resting stevie francis the last game of the season, the one year he made the playoffs.

3. kkuu

kkuu Member

Jvg is Jvg. No way.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No. See David Wesley and the Denver Nuggets game.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Give them the night off. No sense in exposing our playoff "game plan" in a meaningless game.

6. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

does it really matter

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My thought exactly. I would guess that the starters will start and all of the key players wouldn't get more that about 15-20 minutes. Enough to get a little winded, but not too much to get hurt...

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I don't see him doing that. If the win doesn't matter, it would be a good game for doing some experimenting to see what might be good to use in the series. Of course, neither team will want to let the other team gain any useful information. It'd probably make the most sense for both teams to rest their principals. Even if we got a chance to see what Snyder could do to the Jazz defense for example, it wouldn't matter because Boozer and Kirilenko wouldn't be on the floor. But this is Van Gundy and Sloan -- they try to win every game, even to their own detriment.

9. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I am sure everyone who isnt nursing an injury will play some. Tmac and Yao wont be playing 40 min or anything like that but i do expect them to get some PT the last game regardless of it mattering, unless they have a nagging injury.

10. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

YES HE WILL OMG!!!!

You guys must have short memories. Two years ago against Seattle... we had already clinched 5th, Seattle was the last game of the season. Tracy McGrady didn't start, Yao didn't start, Ray Allen and Reshard Lewis didn't start. We had freaking Ryan Bowen in the starting line-up.

I don't think he will rest ALL the starters, because you have to play someone. But he is going to rest Tmac and Yao.

11. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I have a feeling it isn't going to be meaningless so it probably won't matter.

12. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

i first skipped over this thread after reading the title, but then i thought about it...

if we play the jazz in the last game of the season and will play them first round, i would HOPE JVG lets the starters rest (unless the fight is still on for home court). It would let our players get rested AND we could hide maybe some strategies, or prohibit them from trying new ones that they would try in the playoffs.

BUT if there is home court advantage still riding out on that game, PLAY EM!

13. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

The starting 5 will be the same. Unlike normal games, no one starters will play 40+ minutes. No one should have a problem with this. The starters still need to play to stay in game shape.

If the last game or the last few games are meaningless, I would like to see Bonzi play 20-35 minutes per game, so he can get in condition for the playoffs. That's just wishful thinking on my part. He may not play in a single game... regular season or playoffs.

14. uchlha

uchlha Member

isnt the last game of the season vs utah?

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

bah wheres the edit button, i think if homecourt is in the balance then yeah if not no

16. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't think either Jerry Sloan or JVG will play their starters much.

I would think neither team wants to give the other coach insights into what they are planning to do for the series - or opportunities to study their team up close and make corrections for game 1. It's a chess match with a little poker, and no one is going to show their cards too early.

Expect it to be more like a pre-season game - with guys like vspan, jl3, novak, synder, and even bonzi perhaps getting some serious minutes.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He should run a 48 minutes of hell offense with Span, Lucas, Snyder, Wells, and Tsakalides getting the bulk of the time.

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Oh the horror of it all.... :rolleyes:

19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

How did Yao get his finger dislocated???
    Playing in the final minutes of a blow out.
    Im sure JVG is going to play the starters.
    He only plays 60% of the roster.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

JVG will play T Mac 48 minutes just to get him used to playoff basketball and keep him in shape.