1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Barkley Lose Composure?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Nov 25, 1999.

Tags:
  1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Cab- while I agree that CB is more effective when he concentrates on rebounding, the Portland game is one of the major exceptions to that rule. Wallace and Grant are still relatively young and fall for most of Barkley's tricks which gets them into foul trouble.

If he can take those two out of their games, that's two less members of the All-Star team we have to worry about. [​IMG]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The only matchup problem is see is Wallace holding williams or pippen .

I think Rogers should try to hold them

Other matchups we are better.

Shandon Anderson has Great D and he will show it on smith tomorrow.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Francis3:

Individual matchups hardly mean anything. The team that wins is the team that plays the best together. So far Portland has been playing very "together". Setting picks to get each other open, swarming and trapping on defense. So far, I haven't seen any encouraging teamwork from the Rockets. The postup offense we have been running has been completely one-on-one basketball and does not promote sound play as a team. We need to set picks off the ball to get guys open. We need to have better movement without the ball.

4. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

I am fine with anyone that says CB or any player should focus on the strong part of their game, guess I am being quite sensitive as seeing guys running berserk recently thinking that CB's mouth is like OJ's: no truth but for self interest only. That is just too far off.

As to if he is more effective concentrating solely on rebounds, just like Antisonic said it depends on situation. Basically CB and Hakeem are very effective at drawing double teams, I would be content to see the ball being thown to them 20-30 times a game, however, I think what we all don't like to see is that they do it in a row, and that is why some guys are condemning the post up plays of the Rockets, it is not the post up play itself that kills the Rockets but the *excessive repetition* of such plays. So let us just enjoy the game and blame Rudy for whatever reason the Rockets can only play the "too predictable"(Anderson) postup game in the fourth quarter.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Agreed. The postup offense can still be used, but not nearly as much. I would go down in there to Barkley about 5-7 times a game, and Dream 5-7 times. I would have Dream come off of picks for medium range jump shots for the rest of his touches, and Barkley can get his off the glass.

6. Caveman

Caveman Member

Can you guys believe what you guy are saying? You must be really really hurt by Pip's leaving. Be like men, guys, just put the past away.