1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Altuve challenge .400 at some point in his career?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jul 25, 2016.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

By my fuzzy math he'd need to hit .460 for the rest of the season to do it this year. Probably not going to happen. Is this year going to be his high water mark, or is this just the beginning of a multi-year run, where he could challenge .400 in one season?

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Highly doubtful he ever hits .400 but would not be surprised if he has a couple more seasons hitting around the .350 mark.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is at his zenith right now. So no.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With the way analytics has devalued the slappy singles type hitter just for the sake of maximizing batting avg, I don't see anyone approaching .400 ever again. Guys like Gwynn, Boggs, and Ichiro will make the HOF for their batting averages and longevity, but their OPS's really suffered in the race for hits. Gwynn himself said he could have hit more homeruns if he wanted, and he was probably right. But he would never have had years with batting averages north of .350 if he did that. Likewise with Altuve. If he ends the season replicating his batting average from two years ago (.341), he will have fewer hits, just because of all the plate appearances that turned into walks instead of singles and outs.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'd be surprised if he finishes this season above .350. What he is doing right now is absolutely insane.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I doubt anyone will ever threaten .400 again.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The only way I can see anyone coming even close is if they make a massive rule change, or if there was a strike half-season.

When Tony Gwynn made his run, it was a strike shortened year, and that year was filled with ridiculous offensive seasons, leading me to believe baseball was doing something to improve offense. Gwynn struck out less than half the times that Altuve does.

8. Buck Turgidson

OPS+, 1st 6 seasons:

Boggs 149
    Gwynn 133
    Ichiro 118
    Altuve 117

I know there's age differences in play, and I'm not predicting the future or anything, I just hate generalizations.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No. Without significant rules changes, no one will ever hit .400 again. Altuve will probably have a season where he flirts with .350, which should be the new .400 considering how the game has changed over the last 20 years.

10. Buck Turgidson

That's happened 18 times in the last 20 years.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Would be amazing if he did, but no. .400 is just ridiculously great.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I pretty much agree that a .400 hitter is so very unlikely. The chances are actually minuscule of any single player doing it. It's been 75 years since Ted Williams did it. Many players did it in the 1800s and early 1900s. Somewhere along the way between 1920 and 1941 the game changed to where it was rare, and then to where it just never happens now.

Baseball always evolves, so I won't say it will never happen.