1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikipedia and Reddit Plan to Shut Down for 24 Hours in SOPA Protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Realjad, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16150438

Good for them! Maybe the many people who don't even know what sopa is while use wikipedia daily can be given insight of the seriousness of sopa and hopefully voice their concerns and take the devastating effects of it more seriously.

Good-Bye clutchfans; you have been host to many copyrighted gifs and videos.

Mods can close this I didn't see the other thread

#1 Realjad, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I won't pretend to know a heaping handfull about how Wikipedia's run but they all seem like some pretty decent cats.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

Reddit is shutting down for 12 hours

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

craigslist is down and google has rolled out a home page highlighting the issue.

I will be participating. no forums or social networking. I am thinking about setting an auto reply email at work and completely shutting down.

call me.

5. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1p-TV4jaCMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Wow, their page is pretty biting.

7. Classic

Classic Member

yeah, wow

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

On Craiglist's page:

Monster Cable has labeled craigslist a "rogue site," earmarked for blacklisting and full-takedown under PIPA -- resale of stereo cables by CL users reduces Monster 's new cable sales.

Wow. That would suck.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The abuses of this law would be pretty sickening.

Basically the internet would end as we know it. It would become much more like traditional media outlets except with commenting.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just read that and I don't see where it says anything about Craigslist being earmarked for removal under PIPA. The article ultimately links you to a website where Monster warns consumers not to purchase counterfeit cables and lists websites that are not authorized to sell their goods. The first two are "unauthorized sellers" on ebay and craigslist, not the websites themselves. It doesn't seem to have any reference anywhere to Monster calling for Craisglist or Ebay to shut down. Seems like a stretch.

Still, I don't support PIPA or SOPA.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Check the Salon article above and the example with Etsy to see how easy it would be for Monster to screw with craigslist.

EDIT: Sorry it's in the other thread. Too many threads!

Aside: Monster is a pretty ****ty company, generally speaking.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No no, I get that they could. I just think the statement "Monster Cable has labeled craigslist a "rogue site," earmarked for blacklisting and full-takedown under PIPA" is disingenuous. It (falsely as far I can tell) implies that Monster has already publicly labeled Craigslist as a site that needs to be removed under this law and further implies that it would happen. This sort of statement likely engenders support for the cause, but I don't believe it's a fair portrayal. All Monster seems to have done publicly is warn their potential customers that many websites sell knock off versions of their product. The fact that they say "unauthorized" dealers with regards to craigslist and ebay suggests that there are in fact authorized dealers (there are) on those websites as well.
    I agree with you.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I liked this one: