1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wife of Utah Jazz coach dies after battling cancer second time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by robbie380, Jun 18, 2004.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sad stuff

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...lug=ap-jazz-obit-sloanswife&prov=ap&type=lgns

By DOUG ALDEN, AP Sports Writer
    June 18, 2004
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Bobbye Sloan, the wife of Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, died Friday from cancer, the team said. She was 61.

Sloan, the coach's wife of 41 years, announced in January she had a malignant tumor in her pancreas, unrelated to the breast cancer she was treated for several years ago.

``She was such a positive, upbeat person,'' Jazz owner Larry Miller said Friday. ``There was a lot of energy and strength of character with a really positive image.''

Jerry Sloan considered leaving his job to be with his wife when she got sick, but she wanted him to continue coaching. He finished the season, guiding the Jazz to a 42-40 record that left them just short of the playoffs.

After the season, Sloan said he planned to return for his 17th year with the Jazz, although that depended on his wife's health.

Miller got a message from Jerry Sloan on Friday saying that Bobbye died at their southern Illinois farm, where the couple spent most of the offseason, and near where they grew up.

He said Sloan would have all the time he wants to decide whether to continue coaching.

"I'm not trying to anticipate what he'll really wind up doing, but I certainly hope he'll stay with the team,'' Miller said.

Miller hadn't spoken with Sloan and planned to give him some time with his family.

Bobbye Sloan was diagnosed with breast cancer after the Jazz's 1997 NBA Finals loss to the Chicago Bulls. She fought and won a very public battle with the disease, but had been ill before the announcement in January with flu-like symptoms.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Sloan is one of the most underrated coaches in the NBA. Prayers to him and his family. :(

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Agreed, I feel really bad for Sloan

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I hate the Jazz, but I can respectfully wish a happy after life for the woman in this case. May you rest in peace Mrs. Sloan.

6. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I second that.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm very sad to hear of Mrs. Sloan's demise. May God bless her.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Very hard loss. Sympathies and condolences.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

11. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

14. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

Been all over the news here in Salt Lake City. Sad to hear, my heart goes out to Sloan and his family.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Top 3 coach in the NBA no doubt.

+

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

17. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I know so many people who don't love the NBA half as much as college ball. Although I won't agree with that, I can see why: college ball is a team game, while the NBA is so many isolation plays and big egos. And a lot of what makes college ball great, IMO, is that most schools are smart enough to hire a great coach and keep him. To me, that's one of the defining differences: when you think of an NBA team, you think of a franchise player, but when you think of a college team, you think of a coach.

Jerry Sloan has done a rare thing: he has left an indelible mark on an NBA franchise, doing the unthinkable by coaching a single franchise for the better part of two decades, always uncompromising in his approach as well as in his will to win. And after this year, no one can ever say that he was carried by his stars. In fact, it was Sloan's coaching greatness that allowed the Jazz to flourish.

While he never won a title, Larry Brown hadn't either, until this year, and he needed 7 team changes to do so. As time goes on, into Jerry Sloan's retirement, I think the appreciation of what he accomplished can only grow. It wouldn't surprise me if Jerry now retires on the heels of his wife's death, and if he does, I wish him luck in all his future endeavors. As a Rockets fan, I don't have to like him, or miss him, because those Jazz will be a whole lot easier without him... but I will always have the highest amount of respect for Jerry Sloan and all those Sloan teams that never quit, because we may never see another like him.

God bless.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's a sad loss. They are a classy couple.