1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we should trade for Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by High Vibrationz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We can beat warriors now. Why need to trade the bench and starter. What we need to trade are those players which MDA will not use like MCW Anthony etc

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Every Team has 6'7 to 6'10 Forwards

Andrew Wiggins, Ben Simmons, Giannis Antetenkounpo, Khris Middleton, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Brandon Ingram

Rockets need a Defender at SF badly, 6'8 with a long wingspan. If the Rockets want to win a Championship, I think now is the time to strike a deal. I feel for Harden now than before, I can tell how much work he has put into his fitness and weightlifting, constantly playing basketball. I think keeping 1st Rd is important, but the way Harden and Rockets play, it's time to go all in. No more than 2 1st Rd picks.

Smacktle, ramotadab and Mathloom like this.
  4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

this is the same guy that broke the Melo news, right?

Butler seems like quite the diva. Who would take a risk on him now?

[​IMG]

I would do Gordon + 2 1sts for Butler in an instant

Gordon fits great as a 3rd piece next to Simmons and Embiid, providing spacing and scoring punch

D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd pawn this season if we could get him with a guarantee to re-sign him. When I say I'd pawn the season, I mean bye bye Gordon, Tucker and a protected first if need be.

After Sixers got him, I realized how stupid we are and how irrationally married to our role players we've become. Having Capela, Butler, Harden, Paul and no one else tied up to a contract is a great situation to be in for 2-3 years. THAT is worth risking the rest of this season, and I'm not so sure we wouldn't still have a shot at the title.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

DM would trade for Jimmy Buckets, baggage and all, in a heartbeat if he had the chance.

D-rock, Smacktle and ramotadab like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you read Lowe's Philly article as it relates to Butler's interaction with coach Brown, it sheds light on what happened. Brown ASKED for feedback.

The Sixers went into the Butler experience with eyes wide open, and still hope to re-sign him this summer, sources say. He objected during that recent film session only after coach Brett Brown asked if anyone wanted to add something -- and after an assistant coach nudged T.J. McConnell to speak about his concerns, sources say. Butler didn't mention just his own role; he mentioned McConnell's too.

"When you ask the team, 'What do you see?' you'd better be prepared to listen," Brown told ESPN.com. "I'm OK with it. I have to be. I am the instigator."

D-rock likes this.
  8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Your first comment was furkin r****ded no matter which way you try to spin it. You, my friend, are a malaka

malakas likes this.
  9. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

furkin? malaka? what's that?

Louka likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

A good person.

D-rock and Louka like this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Sixers have less than a month to trade him and the talks with other teams have already begun. IF he is available again, we need to get him this time. It has to be Knight and the picks or it's a sideways trade. Philly needs more time to develop. Simmons is a big question mark and they cannot get value for him now. They traded off some of their current youth so they need shooters. Butler and Simmons clash because Butler plays the same position more effectively and the spacing of outside in to Embiid clashes. They run no PnRs. He fits our team perfectly because we would stagger him in minutes and while on the court running separate PnRs and ISO spreads. Ultimate spacing and the way he has always played. Philly will have cap space, picks, and the need to replace two starters. By the time Butler is traded, if he is, the new team gets zero time to test him and assumes all of the risks. That works with us but has reduced his price in this trade especially after him now not working out with three teams regardless of the reasoning. This time some combination of our picks should work because Philly will be offered a pupu platter from everybody, including us The number of picks we are willing to provide is our trump card and we are in the West unlike Miami or other East teams that could overtake Philly's position. Without Butler, Philly is still the team they were last year with room and TIME to grow and the setback didn't cost them much.

jb86 likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If we offer Knight and picks they'll show us the finger. Let's not be irrational this time. It is not a lateral move for a 3 year window. It's lateral for the first year only, then way more powerful for 2 years after if not more.

There is no mathematical way we can afford Harden Paul Capela Butler Gordon Tucker. We will let these guys walk in a year (or dump them) if we extend Butler. Philly will not accept getting Knight and future assets, they have been waiting 5 years to be ready to contend now.

Having Harden, Butler, Paul and Capela locked up is a dream scenario even if we can only surround them with hard workers like Clark, House, Hartenstein, etc. It is a better situation than our current one. Getting him without giving up excellent contending rotation pieces is a pipe dream. They have up Covington and Saric. Let's reimburse them.

joshuaao and Vivi like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, if we trade for Butler or another star, Gordon is gone anyway, it's a matter of when, not if...aside the fact that it's very possible he might not want to resign in the first place. And Philly would certainly ask for him cause with Butler, Covington and Saric gone, they would desperately need a good guard/wing with defense and shooting to help them right now. Gordon is s good fit there, good two way player with no ego issues, good contract too which is something i guess they would consider cause, getting Gordon would give them flexibility to go after a max contract and have still some money to resign Redick and other guys like McConnell this summer, they have no depth right now, and a ton of players expiring.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

If we have to give up Gordon to get JB then so be it. I wouldn't give up Tucker though

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not that any of this is going to happen, but does the CBA still allow “balloon” payments (re-sign a player like Butler, give him $25,000,000 a year until CP3’s contract ends, then one big payment year, etcetera blah blah and so-forth)?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Gordon gives them legitimate starting quality talent with another year left at $14 million, a 2 who can play some 3. He plays decent defense, can get hot and score in bunches from behind the arc, and is a weapon on drives to the basket. Add Criss, a big who's an expiring contract, and Ennis, who gives them a 3 to help plug the hole Butler would be leaving and, like Gordon, with another year left on his deal.

Both Gordon and Ennis are on contracts below their actual value, in my opinion, and locked in for next season. Criss is a toss in to make the deal work and is an expiring contract. The 76's also send out about $2 million more than they are taking in. Add 2019's unprotected 1st and a future 2nd, and hopefully that's all for a player who has a history of disruptive behavior behind the scenes on an expiring deal.

The 76's took a reasonable chance acquiring Butler, but he simply doesn't fit in Philadelphia. We would be taking a big risk on several levels. Butler might end up being a disruptive presence in our locker room and with our coaching staff as well. He might decide to walk after this season, and a major chunk of that one assured season is gone. We would lose players who fit very well in Houston, are good locker room guys, and who love playing here. That, and an unprotected 1st round pick this summer, with a 2nd or two thrown in as a sweetener.

I don't doubt that deals like this have already been posted, but I feel like tossing one out there myself. I think Butler is worth the risk, and it would definitely be a risk. All my opinion, of course. We might have to take a 2nd player from Philadelphia. While they can waive Criss if they like, I don't know if they have an empty roster spot they can put Ennis into.

#116 Deckard, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Talks have begun? Says who?

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It has been reported that other teams have contacted them but Philly as of yet has not put him on the market because that would kill his value. They have been stating that they will make it work. In all of my posts I have prefaced IF they trade him. I think they might more than they won't because I think they know he will not resign.

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I don't disagree with this but we are talking about the math this year and next. I didn't put it in this post but I have said in several others get the deal done either way with Gordon but try to keep him out of it. I posted it previously when we tried to trade for Butler and it's not like the team hasn't offered EGo already so its rather pointless to say its irrational. It is the same strategy they used last time. It didn't work because Minny didn't want to trade with us and they got two starters out of Philly but no picks. Philly is in a different situation. Philly without Butler this year and next year with picks and FA is still a middling East playoff team. Gordon doesn't change that. They blanked on Fultz and will have to make more moves. You also have to consider our options of keeping players. We need to keep Tucker. We still have to dump Knight and he becomes an expiring for them. Are we counting on Rivers to replace EGo and does he want to stay for a portion of the TP MLE? We have little flexibility rosterwise in the tax. I don't believe long term we are keeping Gordon but we are not keeping Knight for sure and if we trade picks with Gordon we are stuck with Knight. Those are two salary slots we cannot replace and have to be used one way or another. I never thought we had a shot at Butler but Minny exposed a confused market for him and there is more risk attached to him now in terms of timing that has dropped his price. If this works we get the window you refer to and keep this year and next year in the window. We need to compete at max level NOW. CP3 ups the timetable for us and we need the insurance policies if we can swing them. IF we can keep him EGo is a FA at 31 next year with a bad injury history that has partially been healthy here.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Melo for Jimmy.

It would be a deal Hinkie would be proud of doing.

Trust the Process. Remember the Process.

Melo-The new Covington

D-rock likes this.