1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why We Should Care About Anti-Harden/Anti-Rockets Narratives!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Jan 20, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I.D.I.O.T.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Handles

Handles Member

I agree that narratives form the opinions of uninformed masses but there is nothing we can do about it. It’s like trying to stop a glacier and multiple high speed trains all at once.

I really think the only egregious mistake that has been made in regards to harden was the year he got left off even the third team all-nba. That was a disgrace. The missed mvps are at least arguable.

3. The Point God

The Point God Member

It'll never happen. The NBA just doesn't call traveling on anything other than pivot situations. Harden's traveling is here to stay. People are just going to have to get over it. The bigger issue is the free throws. Is he going to get them in the playoffs is what I'm concerned with.

4. heypartner

You mean the Step-Back is here to stay. Harden doesn't travel anymore than Luka does, or Ball did last game on his attempt at a Step-Back with a long step.

Do you actually believe these are travels?

5. Rock Harden

Rock Harden Member

Look at these idiots...

Why does Harden have them all triggered?

Bearded13 likes this.
  6. Game7

Game7 Member

Rebecca = Woman
    Lobo = Wolf
    Wolf = Dog
    Rebecca Lobo = Legend of the Dog Faced Woman.

Bearded13 and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

all part of the conspiracy

Game7 likes this.
  8. The Point God

The Point God Member

I'm referring to the double step back he does. The so-called "zero step". I'm sorry but that's clearly a travel. That move belongs in an and 1 mixtape. The NBA is the only league that you'd be allowed that, and that's a rulling problem, not a harden issue.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

topfive likes this.
  10. heypartner

Yes, those two times he's done it, they are travels. But they are mistakes, as well...and Harden has acknowledged they are travels.

Not worth discussing two missed calls over two years and 800 step-backs.​

He's only done that twice (without call) that I've seen, and both times they were mistakes of miscalculating how far he was from getting behind the arc...so, he tried to do an extra step, prior to gather, and failed.

hakeem94, Bearded13 and topfive like this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There are plenty of media guys who drool over Harden. Just have to listen to the right people. JVG and Jackson show plenty of love, Simmons and a couple ringer guys, Jalen and a few of the other espn guys and pretty much any basketball podcast I listen to is always speaking highly of him.

The hot take media and twitter is where you are going to find the nonsense. The actual analysts know what’s up.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Point God's gotta watch hisself some video

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

CNN.com currently has a front-page headline linked to a story about an NBA player who's having an historic season the likes of which we haven't seen in decades. Guess who?

Answer: Not James Harden, because obviously not.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

double lol

heypartner likes this.
  15. Wylo

Wylo Member

'don't care' is just a lazy way of responding to what is otherwise a real threat to this team's and Harden's reputation. People feel helpless against the national narrative, so they just give up. But it would be foolish to deny that the damage is real; it could literally affect referee's decision at a critical moment in the playoffs.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with most things the OP has listed, however I disagree about potential free agents deciding to go elsewhere because of the Anti-Harden Narratives. Harden's contemporaries know how good he is; It's the Legends that hate on Harden because of his style. Harden is also teased because he lets players and Media get away with it. If Harden pushed back he could change the narrative himself if he was the one speaking out about his own merits. Being humble about this stuff is not working and has never worked.

Notice no one makes fun of Westbrook and his abysmal shooting and trash play. Russ doesn't let any player or media member shape his narrative. Harden needs to be more like Russ. :eek:

I'm a HUGE proponent of why we should care how much Harden is dragged in the media. We should all absolutely care how this anti-Harden/Rockets narrative destroys legacies.

Currently, Harden is on one of the greatest scoring runs IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE, and because of how Harden has been portrayed, no one outside Houston is appreciating such a monumental feat of sport excellence. How any fan of the Rockets can say, "ignore the media," I will NEVER understand. This sh-t matters.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I was with you until right here. take a look at nba.com today, half the stories seem like they're about Harden. Check out the recent WSJ article. Check out the talking heads on all those shows tinman hates. I disagree that "no one outside of Houston is appreciating" Harden.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm obviously painting with a broad brush, but we have to be honest here, Harden, like his first MVP, has forced people to take notice because of the undeniability of the feat. Just like his first MVP, there is a begrudging tone in the way it is being reported IMO. Up until the heroics of last night, and just like his first MVP, there has been no celebration of what's going on. At least there hasn't been a celebration that fits what is going on now.. Harden is in the same category as Kobe, MJ, and Wilt for goodness sake.

Imagine if AD, Lebron or, Curry was doing this. They would dedicate a whole ESPN station to their shoot-arounds. There would be a gawd damn pts counter in the lower half of the screen!

hakeem94 and rgw20014life like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough, points well-taken

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]
    Spot on (no paint pun intended). Just imagine this: CP3 and Capela both return and Harden goes back to averaging 30 a game or so. At the end of the year, the MVP discussions will be: "Harden had a great run, and if he had kept it up all year, we'd have to consider him in the race."

hakeem94, DreamShook and heypartner like this.