1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why We Should Care About Anti-Harden/Anti-Rockets Narratives!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Jan 20, 2019.

1. AggieRocketFan96

Sorry, I posted this as a reply in the SportsCenter rant thread but thought it should be a thread to see if anyone else agrees with me on why the Rockets organization and fan-base should care about anti-Harden, anti-Rockets narratives. Here are my reasons:

- narratives can influence, if not directly compel potential free agents and trade targets from signing with Houston. Besides CP3, Rockets don’t have a great track record of all stars in their prime coming to Houston in the Harden era.
    - even more than free agents, these narratives influence GMs, sports agents, referees, Commissioner, and even changing game rules related to Harden (rip through from 3 point line) in negative ways
    - the constant negativity is the reason Harden doesn’t win fan votes for all-star games. Many say who cares, but I bet Harden does
    - by harden’s own reactions (the few I can discern from his questions by the media) can and likely takes a toll on him and his teammates. He’s had to defend himself unlike many other superstars and it’s totally unfair, I’ve never really seen anything like it
    - these narratives incite other players (think Steph Curry) to “troll” Harden when the get called for blatant travels in games in which they’re not even playing the Rockets. The other visceral reactions I see is the no-hands defense that is also a troll attempt and quite disrespectful towards Harden
    - the Harden no defense narrative was so pervasive that I have no doubt it warded off potential all star free agents. I’ve never seen any other NBA player treated this way in which 1 or a couple of bad defensive plays out of tens of thousands is used to characterize a career narrative of a superstar
    - these negative narratives have directly taken away multiple well deserved MVPs from this man and that alone should warrant an organizational counter/response. Why? Because I’m convinced these narratives influence voters on these awards. It also influences referees in how they call rockets games in the playoffs
    - the impact of Harden narratives on the playoffs (blatantly not calling fouls) should be very concerning and I think you may see the NBA somehow make his step back illegal. All this has happened because of anti-Harden narratives and this is why we (certainly the organization) should care and actively counter them.

The head in the sand approach never works. I’m personally tired of the just ignore the media, espn sucks, who cares response. I don’t see Harden and his teammates doing that on the court, they are playing their asses off and I have no doubt, would appreciate a counter narrative to emerge in which their fan base and management fight with the same level of intensity, not allowing any jab, barb, BS narrative to remain unchallenged!

Flame away!

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. AggieRocketFan96

Ruh-roh, I feel this is a bad sign for my post.
    Oh well, feel free to delete as you see fit.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nonsense, it's actually quite a good post. It remains to be seen how tinny will tear it down. It helps that you're an '03er . . . well, maybe not. good luck to you. ;)

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Somebody needs to post Oprah Winfrey handing out blinders to everyone

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

by the way, did I mention media conspiracy? media conspiracy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know people don't personally like Dwight Howard, but he was a star in his prime. Harden has already attracted 2 superstars to play with him, which is more than 90% of the league has been able to do.

He will start the all-star game, again, even if he loses the fan vote so that doesn't matter either.

He is one of the highest earning stars in the league off the floor, and attempts basically the same amount of FT's in the postseason.

We are on national TV all the time, and the NBA has repeatedly defended his step back. They changed the rip through because it was clearly BS that he was exploiting, we all knew that. We are a marquee team in basically every respect, really only behind the Warriors and whatever team LeBron is on. While people complaining about Harden is annoying, at the end of the day it's just meaningless white noise. If it really bothered Harden he would have adjusted his game to draw less fouls, but he doesn't, he just keeps doing whatever he can to get buckets.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Obviously you don’t understand this simple fact.

While we are laughing at those crybaby fans of the other teams while constantly b****ing about refs and media after every loss, we have the exact same kind of fans also.

hakeem94 and kjayp like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything the organization or us as fans can do to change any of the various anti-Harden narratives (preferential treatment from refs, doesn't try to score but only to draw fouls, doesn't play defense, etc.). Even a superhuman game 7 in the finals to pull out a victory might not get it done.

Look at it this way: Last year he somehow managed to win MVP, but although he deserved it, it seemed like the voters were just saying, "Well, he's been a candidate for a few years now, I guess it's his turn."

This year, though, Harden is ballin' out of his mind, at a level we've never seen for this extended a period in the modern history of the NBA. He's literally not only better than everyone else in the league by far,he's better than anyone has been in years. And he's single-handedly pushing a rag-tag team toward the top of the conference while his key teammates watch from the bench with injuries.

And yet some--many, in fact--in the media still say that while Harden is on an historic run, Giannis is still in the lead because he's that good.

hakeem94 and MrButtocks like this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Pretty much every fan base thinks their players and team are treated unfairly by the refs, the league, and the media.

Sure, Harden gets a lot of hate from a lot of people. But, I can understand why. Harden is a very crafty player and people find it annoying.

I don't buy into the argument that Houston misses out on acquiring free agents because of some narrative. The Rockets do better than most in that area.

I'm not worried about any narratives, real or imagined.

The Rockets franchise has received plenty of recognition in recent years. Morey may be disliked by some, but most people would admit he's a good GM. MDA was coach of the year. Harden was MVP.

The Rockets may be disliked, but I believe they are also grudgingly respected.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I still don’t care.

Only way to earn their respect is to throttle their anal regions and put them in a head lock and force them to tap out.

Just win baby. 5 against 5 (plus 3 refs plus NBA nation of haters).

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I thought this had already been changed because of Kevin Martin.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If the NBA changes the rules for Harden, he will adapt. And I personally hate most NBA rules, including the ones that Harden exploits.

I also don't think players buy in to the narratives as much. Just ask Austin Rivers.

Let the armies of morons burn themselves out making hour long videos about a regular season loss. Social media exists so that the masses can distract each other with their simple stupidity.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

no i remmeber the okc head coach in the playoffs complaining about harden using that move on the 3. And the competition committee put in the harden rule the next season. I doubtthey make harden step back illegal. I see kids on youtube using that move

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

They posted THIS on Instagram not showing the other angle which shows the obvious swipe by Lance -

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

My biggest fear is a rule change to have the rules say two steps after a dribble have to forward or lateral but not backwards...

17. KellyUnchained

Super nervous, but good platform to talk about the incredible stuff Harden’s doing

18. macan

macan Member

BSPN to its finest..

LUK3 likes this.
  19. LUK3

LUK3 Member

Don’t care, the more hate he’s been getting the better he’s been doing :rolleyes:

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

You did awesome, Kelly. Made great points without profusive sweating or stuttering. :)

D-rock likes this.