1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Rockets are a lottery-bound team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 1999.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Since you know so much about the player's abilities, preferences, and styles, as well as the right offense and defense and all the plays to go along with it, why don't you replace Rudy? Seriously, you seem to full of more crap and angst than insight or productive/constructive criticism. Why don't you take a day off from the web, think about your criticisms, and come up with something useful to say.

Well said. What everyone needs to understand and Caveman is ignoring is he is the poster previously known as BasketballFan. He was kicked because he was constantly bashing posters, primarily Almu and DREAMer, for posting opinions contrary to his. He thinks he got in without anyone knowing, but we've known for a long time...

... You need to loosen up BasketballFan and have some fun ... stop labeling everyone who has an opinion different than yours as a "Rudy lover".

------------------
    Clutch
    Out to prove Scottie Pippen will apologize at gunpoint.
    www.clutchcity.net

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Dreamer,
    I'm not so sure that I understand your reply; enlighten me. Do you mean that Caveman couldn't do worse by coaching the team than Rudy? C'mon! You MUST be Dreaming. Most of us are the equivalent of basketball's answer to the arm-chair quarterbacks of Monday night football. A few of us hav played and or studied organized basketball, but most of the people on this site (I am speculating) don't know what they are talking about when it comes down to it-myself included. Everybody's content when we win, but when we lose everybody's got the answer.

3. Caveman

Caveman Member

Clutch:
    "Why don't you take a day off from the web, think about your criticisms, and come up with something useful to say".

I respect your website, I don't call nasty names on people. Why is it ok for people to attack anyone who thinks Rudy sucks, and not the other way around. I don't hate DREAMer, I just try poke some fun on him, because he is obviously a big fan of Hakeem, which I agree has alot of basketball left in him. As far as Almu, German, and Popeye, they attacked me first, in the preseason. ONLY BECAUSE I HAD GIVEN UP ON RUDY LONG TIME AGO. I don't want to disturb the peace on your site. I like your site, but if you want to ban me just because I hate Rudy's coaching to my guts, it is your right. I will NOT try to come back in. because I feel it just would not be fair.

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

[This message has been edited by Caveman (edited November 22, 1999).]

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Caveman,
    I like your one-liner at the end. I know what you can do for a living! You can be Jim Rome's "Little Penny." I can see it now: "Say Rudy. Your Mama can't pick and roll." Or this: "I don't know crap, but I talk a lot."

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

Clucth:
    Look the post above this, you see what I am saying.

Pass 1st...to the post, then shoot 3s. What a nice simple plan!

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

6. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Caveman,
    What you just posted is kind of like a little boy slapping somebody, who gets bets slapped back and then goes to the teacher to "make him stop." Wah. Look, I have no "beef" with you; just don't dish out what you can't take. Clutch: I promise to play nice in the sand box with Caveman from now on.

7. Caveman

Caveman Member

P 1st, S 2nd

The truth is that I can care less what you think me or my posts, if you don't likewhat I have to say just ignore me. I am not interested in having anything to do with you. But you already knew what I think of you. And that is all what I am going to say to you.

A true BasketballFan

------------------

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

"I like your site, but if you want to ban me just because I hate Rudy's coaching to my guts, it is your right."

Stupid. Best way I can describe it. Who said anything about banning you "just because (you) hate Rudy's coaching"? You know all too well that wasn't why you were sent packing. I shouldn't be surprised by your narrow-mindedness however because that's what got you in trouble in the first place. Anyone who had an opinion that was constructive and didn't include "Rudy sucks" in it was labeled a "cheerleader" or a "Rudy lover".

Your act is tired and annoying.

------------------
    Clutch
    Out to prove Scottie Pippen will apologize at gunpoint.
    www.clutchcity.net

D-rock likes this.
  9. Caveman

Caveman Member

Clutch:
    There is no need for me to fight with you. This is your site and I respect that. I just want you to know I have enjoyed posting here. I have visited your site for two years before I registered as a poster. I want Rockets to win, but I have come to believe that Rudy is the cancer of this team. I can't help it. If other fans attacked me for that, with name callings, I did respond. There is no need for you to call someone "stupid" who addressed you with respect. What would you do if some one calls you that? But, anyway, peace.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Caveman (edited November 22, 1999).]

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ach:
    "if we get off 80 shots (fair in a typical non-weak kings defensive night) using our ol' stand by and somehow by chance w/ the 30-45 touches that dream and chuck share and bore the rest of the team w/ we get a .500 game, then we score 80 points off the shots alone (not including free throws and the like)

obviously, w/ a fast paced game, we get more shots off so with a 100 shot game, that's right, we can shoot a miserable 40% and get the same amount of production... so why not take the risk? it's a fairly calculated risk--- and dream and chuck aren't 32 anymore... and won't be shooting .500 on average (it's much more likely that francis, mobley and anderson will shoot more than 40%)"

Yeah but obviously if we get more shots, so does the other team, and if they are out shooting us now, they will still be out shooting us running all the time. Just make take.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

4chuckie:

weird, this post got back to the subject of bball. anyway,

"Yeah but obviously if we get more shots, so does the other team"

not necessarily... depending on whether these shots come off our above average rebouding game, if our defense plays well (remember when chuck said last year that it wasn't fair to ask someone to play on one side of the court but not the other?) and we keep our tos down then the extra shots mean something good...

besides, maybe people in the compaq center will stand up if their team is running up and down the floor [​IMG] (i always have to watch pro games at the delta center, so when i see people at the compaq ctr knitting a bunch of sweaters i get sick)

great name by the way, b/c that's exactly why i don't want to be in the lottery this year... b/c chuck doesn't deserve to go out like that...

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ach:
    Good points, especially about the To's (Francis will definetely get better at this). Be nice when we can have an athletic team that can create them more than we give them!

13. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man,
    Is there some serious hostility on this thread or what?
    In response to the topic that actually started this thread though, I feel that it's still a bit early to declare the Rockets a lottery-bound team. This is only 12 of 82 games. It is not to late to turn the Rocks' around, but there are changes that needs to be made ASAP. Though our record does not reflect it we do have talent in abundance.

On the offensive end we have guys that can slash to the hoop, move w/o the ball, and create thier own shots off the dribble (Francis, Cat, Anderson and Walt). We have goes that can shoot the tre' (Drew, Bullard, Walt, Francis and Cat). We have the post up game in Dream and Sir Charles and we even have the hustling roll players in Rogers and Massenburg.

On the Defensive end we have gaurds that can matchup well one-on-one in Francis (6'3") and Anderson (6' 6"). We have shot blockers in Dream, Cato, and Rogers and we even have a few fouls to waste in Hamilton (when he is activated).

So with all of this talent why have will lost five straight you ask? Well I hate to say it but talented players + good coaching equals wins and right now the only thing missing from that equation is the coaching. The NBA has changed and so have rules, but our offense (for the most part is the same). Sure we run a few pick and rolls, but the picks are not set convincingly and the inverted offense in which our gaurds post up is run almost never. The most disturbing thing about our offense though is that at crunch time, when we really need a basket we go back to that tired, predictable, no movement, dump it and wait style of offense in which opposing teams over play the passing lanes and the results of which are almost always a turnover, a fast break for the other team, or simply no production due to poor execution.

The defense Rudy runs also has faults. Where you say? First and farmost is the way the Rocks' defend the pick-n-roll. I mean is it just me or is any one else tired of seeing opposing teams gaurds getting into the lane for open spot-ups or pentrate and then kick to the open man for an uncontested jumper. No matter how much you would like to blame the players, it is Rudy who refuses to change the way he defends the pick and roll, selecting for the players to stay at home instead of switching. Stupid, and we get burned everytime. I'm sorry but you would think after seeing Stockton burn you all those years he would realize that his defense is simply not working. Francis' defense is solid but when a pick is set effectively you are not going to be able to go over the top, or fight through it and by the time he does go around his man is already in the lane.

Summing it all up definite changes need to be made. It's obvious that what Rudy is doing offensively and defensively is not working so why not make wholesale changes, let go of the post, run a few high picknrolls or picknfades, more iso's, have whoever gets the rebound push it down the floor what could it hurt, definitely not our record. By the way I have played organized ball and I think that it is silly to critisize others who have not played for posting there opinions, because you don't agree with them. I mean this is what the BBS is all about. Isn't it.

[This message has been edited by O-dawg (edited November 22, 1999).]

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We're not lottery-bound for one simple stat: Dream has shot over 50% the last three games. I take this as a sign he has noticed the season has begun. The wins will follow soon -- starting tomorrow against Dallas (then taking a break Friday in Portland and then continuing in Vancouver).

Deckard likes this.
  15. popeye

popeye Member

Back to the topic.

I seriousily doubt we will be out of the playoffs this year. The writting isn't dry on the wall yet. No Way. It is not that I am an eternal optimist, as much as I haven't been convinced that this team has given up on the season. I think that is what it will take to keep them out.

As OhhhDoggie just posted above, after only 2-10 (12 games out of 82)we would be a little remiss to suggest we are cooked in the middle.

Let's look at the season so far:

We are behind some formidable talent from Portland, SanAntonio, LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, the upstarts of last year - Sacramento and the surprise in the West - Sonics.

That's the best of the West IMHO. After that what?

The Timberwolves. They are 6-2 playing two fewer games than us, splitting a pair with the Kings. Beating Utah twice which is definitely impressive. Beating Phoenix,Vancover and the Knicks. Yawn!!! They still lost to the Kings as mentioned, and the LA Clippers???

The Suns. They are 7-4 with losses to Denver, the Bucks, the Timberwolves, and the Lakers.They beat the 76'ers, SanAntonio,which by all accounts was there most impressive win, and Chicago twice. Wish we had played Chicago instead of the Lakers twice. Mmmmmm. They also won over The Nets, Knicks and the Sonics in a fun to watch run and gun game. Overall not a bad start, but those up/down games have hurt Danny Ainge's standing. They were supposed to "dominate". Especially when they spent oodles of money and management is hell bent committed to winning it all this year.

Which Leaves Us. 2-10. Ugh. Horrible. Bad Dog! Bad,Bad Dog! Loss to Bucks(ugly), Jazz,San Antonio,Resurgent Deep Magic. Split with the Lakers, manhandled by the (one of the Eastern Cream)Pacers and Mavericks. And lost close competitive games to Sacramento and the Sonics. The Warrior win was as much an afterthought as a victory. I was more impressed with four of the losses than that win.

Which probably brings me to my point.
    Trade our Pacer, and the two Kings games out. Give us Phoenix's two Chicago games and Denver's game. We may have been 5-7. Would everyone have been happy,then?

How about trading the Timberwolves for the Vancover, Clipper, and the Ewing-less Knicks. We may have a 5-7 or a 4-8 record. More importantly with less pressure on us, the team may actually loosen up a bit and start executing other aspects of the game.

Conclusion

1. We have definite problems. Some are being solved. Some are not. It will take time. They have improved better than I expected in the last five games.
    2. We are progressively getting more competitive every game. And remember this is against worthy opponents like the fast, running, possession-active teams like the Kings & Sonics. We are not in the same league as the Spurs yet. We can improve on the Lakers especially in our inside game, and I know they do not take us lightly. With a consistent outside attack we can beat the Pacers.
    3. We are relatively healthy. This is not a year where everyone holds their collective breath everytime Hakeem or Barkley fall or get rubbed the wrong way. Francis maybe. But even he has not got as much danger as the aging veterans have in the past. If he were injured he would likely bounce back very quickly. For the first time in a great number of seasons,we will have legs in the middle of the schedule this year. If all goes well we will finish with a flourish.
    4. Although not a real comfort zone, our schedule lightens up a little next month. Even the teams we meet that are above us in standings will not be as harsh a competitive reality as what the guys went through this November.
    5.Regardless of what others have posted, Rudy has blended the stalward forward post-up game with running and motion very well. When we are clicking the quick three-pass to the open man is poetry in motion. The fast break actually has not worked as well as expected, but they are attempting it several times a game. They will improve there too. Just slower than expected.( It's not the fast outlet as much as finish. That is a finesse part of the game, and it takes time.)

Anyway that's my opinion on this lottery talk. Ther is lots of season left. Lots of things will happen. The teams that are winning now, may have injuries, poorer schedules and losing slumps too.

basso and Deckard like this.
  16. CaucasionSensation

I think we are lottery bound again because this team is really divided into two camps that are incompatible in a half court set.

Hakeem and Chuck - Posts want to always recieve the ball on the block, which by the is the best spot, as it is the closest to the rack. No matter what this will not change. As much as we complain their roles will not change this year.

Francis, Anderson, and Mobley - slashers except for Francis who is a good shooter, and Mobley when he is playing well which currently is not the case. Anderson is just a terrific slasher, defender, and scrapper, but don't ever mistake him for a shooter.

OLAJUWON AND CHUCK ARE GOING TO GET THEIR WAY NO MATTER WHAT. They will receive the ball on the block like most posts on other teams do. The only thing to do when you feed your post here for the most part is space the floor, and that ulimately translates into people behind the 3-point line. Every team does it, but yes we are the worst.

When the ball goes back out somebody is often forced to take the shot FROM OUTSIDE. This where Williams was supposed to fit in the picture as that fail safe outside shooter that would give us the leway to have all these slashers. But we know how he has faired. So these guys aren't made for the task that due to the prescence of Dream and Chuck, not an offense, a spacing system, this year befalls them. It is a war of wills, a war already won, won by Hakeem and Chuck. The losers are Anderson, Mobley, and to a lesser degree Francis. Their potential will never be fully realized this year.

It is the reason I hope Hakeem retires after this year along with Chuck as their presence creates a stronger need for shooters. Shooters we just don't have. We're still running the same spacing game and will not stop until they are gone. We also have Drew an inexperienced backup point, to backup a good yet also inexperienced backup point. He needs more time like Cuttino (more than Cuttino), yet Rudy decides he can both win now and teach these kido's how to play better ball on the way.

We have the talent to win, but it is incompatible in the half court set. You can't change the fact that Hakeem wants it on the block, Chuck wants it on the block, Shaq wants the damn ball on the block, and by the way it is why they now have Rice now. Because the ultimate complement to a big man is an outside shooter in this day and age. Mourning has Majerle, Voshon Leonard, Hardaway, even Mashburn to spot up and be ready for when the double team comes. Ewing had Starks, now Houston, and Spree. Robinson- Person, Del Negro, Jackson, Elie. You simply need to put some outside touch with a dominant big man, and the Rockets have failed to do it. They can't get Mack for some reason.

The problems for this ball club are so many that they are in denial. Hakeem and Chuck simply aren't what they used to be, Williams is sucking it up. The sophmores (Drew and Mobley) are still much to wet behind the ears. Our starting point is a rookie(eight turnovers). It's just a damn mess, that in time will be attempted to be fixed by trade, as usual.

Chuck(Chronicle)- "We're missing a lot. We're just not very good. We're still making the same mistakes we made in the first game, the same mistakes we made in the preseason."

Just don't quite get it. Talent is incompatible. Dare I compare this with last year's Pippen situation. I'll leave that to you.
    http://www.chron.com/content/story.html/sports/bk/bkn/388248

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited November 22, 1999).]

basso likes this.
  17. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

If we can't get along posting responses about the game of basketball and becoming infuriated and frustrated with every loss, then the actual Rocket players must be looking for a bridge to jump off of this very minute.

Settle down folks, we haven't even seen Steve Francis pull a Majic and play in the All-Star team in his rookie year. Let's waits s'more and then we'll judge how deep a pick we can get. In the meantime, can't we all just get along?

------------------
    Eddie....at the buzzer...YEEESSSSS!!!
    Oh Mother!

18. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Man, I go away for a few hours and all this happened...I'll stay out of this...

Anyway, I still don't think we are lottery-bound. As some have pointed out, only 12 of 82 games have been played. I believe that many people here underestimate Hakeem. Once he starts taking this as a personal challenge, look out. He's just too good to miss the playoffs. I believe that we will probably be the 7th or 8th seed, the latter being more probable. Two teams I see as probably getting in trouble are Phoenix and Seattle. Seattle just isn't that good. They had a good start, but they will sooner or later run into trouble. They have one excellent guy in Payton, perhaps the best player in the league right now, but the rest...is NOT good. Their center? Horace Grant...well, if you think Hakeem and Chuck are old and washed up and have lost it...this guy never really had it. PF - Vin Baker - this guy shoots free throws almost as badly as Shaq and it just takes his confidence in his game away, because he is scared that he might have to go to the line. SF - Ruben Patterson...the self-proclaimed "Kobe Stopper" is having a good season so far, but he is really a rookie and he is not all that talented, sooner or later he will fade. SG - Brent Barry and Vernon Maxwell. Mad Max is doing great so far and he will win them some games. However, I think he will lose them more games than he will win for them once he starts getting in trouble with something again. Brent Barry is a talented underachiever. Their bench sucks.
    Conclusion: The Sonics are NOT better than the Rockets. They are a few games ahead of the Rockets, but remember, not even 15 % of the season have been played so far.

Another team that I think might get problems in the long run are the Suns. Kidd and Hardaway seem to be a great tandem, but Hardaway has caused problems in Orlando before and they used to be both point guards. If Hardaway doesn't accept that Kidd is the better player, they will have a serious chemistry problem. Also, Gugliotta seems to have lost a step and they don't have a center.

How can you say after not even 15 % of the season that we will definitely be a lottery team. I wouldn't have thought that you, Clutch, would so quickly make what I consider a premature judgment. We are all disappointed, but why throw the towel already when you have almost 6 times as many games as you have had so far to improve. You went to their practices in Austin and said they looked great. I know that practice and games are a different thing, but I would not just disregard it when Hakeem says this is the best team he has been on. Hakeem is not an idiot.

Again and again, I have to remind everyone that the Spurs had a pretty bad start last season and you know what happened. The Knicks got into the playoffs as the 8th seed and made it to the finals. I am still convinced that we will make it to the playoffs and once we will be there, everything is possible.

BELIEVE IT!!!

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well we better start winning to get us there.

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited November 22, 1999).]

basso likes this.
  20. mantronix

mantronix Member

That is a sad thought that the Rockets wont make the playoffs. Just hearing that dissapoints me very much. The Rockets just seem to be a few points short every game. I cant believe the Rockets have not signed Sam Mack it is worth giving it a shot. I felt there were 2 games this year where the Rockets got some bad calls (the Bucks and Lakers) and this cost the Rockets 2 games. Even so the Rockets would have been 4 and 8 and overall they are playing less than average.