1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the most imporant off season signing is already a rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jscmedia, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I mean of course the one and only Dikembe Mutombo.

Last stop for Mutombo
    By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA - Globe-trotting Dikembe Mutombo wants to make Houston his final NBA stop.Oh yes, for sure," he said Friday during a break in the Basketball Without Borders outreach program. "When I went home to Atlanta for the summer, I only took three suits out of my closet. That means that all of my clothes are in Houston, and I really want to go back there."

The 39-year-old center joined the Rockets last season to be a practice partner and mentor to Yao Ming. Mutombo played more than 15 minutes a night in 80 games, averaging four points and 3.5 rebounds and was everything the Rockets had wanted, also averaging 1.26 blocked shots.

Mutombo is a seven-time NBA All-Star and four-time Defensive Player of the Year.

"I hope everything will work out quick and soon in Houston so I can put all of this behind me," the Rockets' free agent said. "I've been working out already to get myself ready to come back.

"I told a friend yesterday that I'm tired of changing uniforms. I just want to go and play where I can be accepted in Houston, where I can play the few years I have left and finish up by backing up Yao Ming or in whatever kind of role I can have. I would like to fulfill my dream and finish up the game and be happy to walk away.

"Last season was a great experience. I think Yao learned a lot from me, and I learned a lot from him and we were able to grow. If there would be a chance for us to win a championship together, it would be fabulous."

Consider:

Rockets fate without him this year
    the learning and teaching for Yao Ming's many future years
    the Heart of lion who genuinly cares about people, and has no ego about that part of himself, he does it beacause it's "the right thing to do".
    the rediculously excellent job he does in phase of his game.
    His mere presence inside that creates nighmares for stupid young players who don't have a clue
    His LEADERSHIP skills which just may be the biggest gifts

These things are not on the free agent market. They are either there inside or they are not.

Some day we will look back and realize collectively that DK wil be one of the main reasons that this franchise was able to stabalize at one of it's most critical junctures, that lead to chamionship ball and championship players flocking to play here and raise banners.

2. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=98433

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.