1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Lawson Experiment Failed and What Kind of Player We Need Next to Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by seeingred, Apr 6, 2016.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

I know we're still in the hunt for the playoffs but i think we can entertain a question on the overall philosophy of this team. There's talk of making Harden the PG and pointing to the evidence that a playmaking PG like Lawson can't hope to be successful next to a ball dominant guard like James. I think it's a complex question and I want to jabber about it. Ty Lawson didn't work out in Houston because of:

1) Ty Lawson. He had plenty of chances to run the show this year. Once he was sent to the bench, much of his time was staggered with Harden. With Harden resting, we were all excited to see Lawson take control of the offense and finally "do his thing". He never did. He generally brought the ball up and then proceeded to let Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer, Or Marcus Thornton run pick and roll plays while he stayed at the 3 pt line. If, by some miracle, that wretched play resulted in a wide open 3 for Lawson, he often passed it up.

2) The Offense. A lot of us that thought Ty should be in the starting line up from the jump believed he was the key to opening up a whole new level of offensive complexity and efficiency. In the same way Curry can run a pick and roll while Thompson runs a weak side flare - we assumed Lawson and Harden could each take half the court and dominate with the ball flowing to the open man. This sort of weak side action never happened. Watching the Rockets off-ball offense is brutal. They move slowly, they set ineffective screens, and on the rare occurrence that someone actually flashes open, the ball handler is never looking in that direction anyway. They know they won't get the ball so they half ass it, they half ass it and never get open, they never get open so they never get the ball, they know they won't get the ball so they half ass it, they half ass it and never get open... etc etc. A cycle of garbage.

3) James Harden (aka "the offense" pt 2). I was excited to see some JJ Reddick/Steph Curry style plays for Harden. "He'll do great coming off screens and Lawson will hit him in stride for 3 after 3." But James Harden doesn't sprint off the ball like Reddick and Curry. He doesn't wear his man down by forcing him to jump past screen after screen until he finally find himself alone at the 3 point line. Maybe he did that in OKC (i honestly can't remember) but he sure as sh_t doesn't do it now.

So how do we fix it?

1) Better offense. Basketball 101. Half the court can still be a James Harden PnR or even ISO... but the other half is running a real play, at full speed, with real picks being set. If the Harden PnR (or ISO) is unsuccessful then he can look up and find the shooter cutting to the basket or flashing open at the 3 pt line. This is a step up from the "stand still and hope Harden finds you when your man doubles him" approach. Need a new coach and we need the players to buy in.

2) Harden at PG. It's a popular idea now for a reason. It lets us get another young, long defender into the game. PG's have abused us for years and putting McDaniels on them might be just what we need to help the defense.

3) Playmaker/Scorer off the bench. We may already have it with Beasley. You can see in Beasley what we hoped Lawson would provide. True - Beasley makes plays for himself while Lawson was supposed to make plays for others - but the result is the same: The half court offense doesn't go straight to hell every time Harden takes a breather. Let's not rule out a Mike Conley-type or Isaiah Thomas #3-type just because Lawson lost his mojo. Harden can't lead the league in MPG forever and in the playoffs you desperately need your offense to keep clicking when your stars sit. Even if he never touched the ball with Harden in the game, Ty Lawson could have helped this team tremendously if he'd attacked like he's done his whole career with Harden out. He didn't but other guards can and will.

TL;DR - do we need a playmaking wing or a 3&D player or a new coach?

Yes.

2 people like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why the Lawson experiment failed......because he's not a good basketball player anymore.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why the Lawson Experiment Failed: Because if you are NOT going to have the ball in your hands to create every single play DO SOMETHING... like ANYTHING. Don't just stand there like a bump on a log and also ... PLAY DEFENSE.

End/

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

If you're going to keep Harden and make him the cornerstone, then you need this type of player next to him..

[​IMG]

T_Man

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Instead of moving KJ into starting lineup, would rather move Ariza to the 2 and bring in another long 3-D player like Raphiael Putney.

Putney is better shot blocker, rebounder and 3pt shooter than KJ. And Ariza is much better all round defender and scorer than KJ.

6. coffeelover665

It looked so good on papers. Hell even in 2k16 those two gets me so many buckets. In fact, I get sad every time I score with them because it's so easy and I think, man why can't they do this in the game. But then again, Howard always do pick and roll too so I guess this game isn't that realistic.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

New coach. Thibodeau. Then we go from there. Roster changes as well, of course.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

How bout giving Goldilocks a shot...kobe was/is just as bad if not worse to deal with than Harden and kobe liked playing with Goldilocks

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Are you talking about moving a player from the D-league directly into the starting lineup?

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a system. Harden thinks everything has to run thru him. If we get Magic Johnson right now he would be camping in the 3 point line.

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Similar to how we brought a player in from China directly into the rotation.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Bradley Beal was brought up a while ago. Maybe not Beal per se, but the idea seems right. Let JH move to his natural position (1), and get a legitimate threat at SG. There are rumors that Bulls are shopping Butler. I'd give up an arm and a leg to pair him with JH.

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I explored this in my thread a little while back:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=272853

At PG, we need Bev and maybe a Lou Williams type off the bench. Every "good" PG in the NBA only knows how to be a primary ball-handler/playmaker, and thus none will be able to truly thrive next to Harden.

We need a guy who can initiate the offense without being the be primary ball-handler, and this can be a SF like Batum or a PF who excels passing from the high-post.

Another thing we really need is a devastating P&R threat next with Harden. Steph and Dray are unstoppable with Steph's range and handles and Green's screens and ability to break down 4 on 3 opportunities.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Should have tried to get Rondo.

15. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Rockets need a stretch 4 who can consistently hit 3 pointers and mid-range jumpers and a center who can hit the regular midrange jumper, block shots and rebound.

16. onreego

onreego Member

Not the starting line up though. We're also forgetting that Beasley played in the NBA before...

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rondo stunk playing with Monta Ellis. He would stink more playing with Harden.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the lawson experiment failed because lawson sucks.

take a look at how much better he's fitting in alongside side that ball hog Paul George

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I cry a little inside when people want to turn one of the best offensive SGs of all time into JJ Reddick.

It won't work.

20. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

We have Beasley for the 4. PF is not the problem. Even D-Mo is okay for now. We have Capela but we need another back up who hustles and does the dirty work. The Bev of 5's. Speaking of, I'm okay with Bev starting but I want another back up who can split the minutes with him and give us energy.