1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Why teams win?]And why we cannot lose Battier/Hayes/Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

I have a theory about winning teams in the NBA, all of them have veteran locker room leadership, the great teams sometimes have their veteran locker room leaders as also their best players. This is actually not very noticeable until you lose the "veteran locker room" presence, then you can seemingly go from a great team to a bad team with very little change in actual talent.

some examples;

2005-06 Grizzlies 49-33
    2006-07 Grizzlies 22-60

Grizzlies on paper actually improved their talent, with Rudy Gay, and only losing Battier and Bobby Jackson from their rotation, conventional wisdom says that it was the defense that battier brought, I think it was more the locker room leadership and intangibles.

2007-2008 Pistons 59-23
    2008-2009 Pistons 35-43(with iverson)

IN hindsight, the billups-iverson trade looks really lopsided, but remember at the time, Iverson was still considered one of the best players in the league, as well as Billups plays, I think it's his locker room leadership that pistons miss the most, and that denver gained the greatest benefit from. And from a skill perspecitive I don't think anyone thought that pistons would drop off that much, they pretty much had the entire core from the consecutive ECF team plus their young players stuckey, bynum, maxiell, amir were all improving.

and finally our favourite whipping boy makes an appearance

2002-2003 Orlando - 42-40
    2003-2004 Orlando - 21-61

Both teams were awful, but I think that talent wise the 2003-2004 team actually had much better talent, the key here is that the locker room leader of the magic at the time Darrel Armstrong left the team after the 2002-2003 season, this basically led to the magic completely blowing up and tmac getting traded.

So what is this magical "veteran locker room presence"?

quite simply, it's the guys who listen to their coach, do what the coaches ask them to do and respect their coach. Regardless of who their coach is.

There are only a small % of players in this league who are consumate professionals and will do exactly what the coach wants you to do and have the leadership qualities and veteran status to set that example for other teammates, on this team we have scola, battier and chuck.

Other teams have guys like Tim Duncan, Derek Fisher, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Garnett, Ray Allen etc...

The majority of players just go with the flow, so if they are on a team with a good locker room, they will do the right thing, but if they end up in a bad locker room, they won't be able to rescue the situation.

Then there are the "cancers", these guys usually don't listen to the coaches and beat to the tune of the their own drum, if they are superstars, they can be tolerated but need some serious locker room presence to counteract their cancerous tendencies. e.g. in the rockets case, we had Mutumbo/Scola/Battier/Hayes to offset Tmac/Artest last year.

AI is a classic case, Kobe/Shaq to a certain extent as well, that's why for them to win a championship, they had to be surrounded with guys like Brian Shaw/Robert Horry/Derek Fisher/Rick Fox, etc....

So, basically, we cannot lose our locker room presence of scola/battier/hayes, at most we can lose maybe one guy since we don't have too many knuckleheads, but these guys value is way more than the stats on the court, they also set the tone for the entire team.

2 people like this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They're all good guys from what I can tell. I've heard stories from people who have met them and they have that class, similar to Hakeem class, and they treat people like they'd like to be treated. I love that our vets are not prissy divas. They're the glue and they set a great example for rookies who can see that you don't have to act like a jerk to be in the league a long time.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We can lose Hayes and Battier, Scola is a better player/leader anyway.

And with Yao back, we have good veteran leadsership.

DD

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

Grizzlies from 2006-2007 are a terrible example..If you even bothered to look up what you were talking about you would see that Pau Gasol missed 21 games in the beginning of the season. Rudy Gay as a rookie WAS NOT better than Battier in 2006-2007 even on paper.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

we have great locker room presence, his name is adelman. I agree that shane is a great asset for the younger players, but as this team gets older that really isn't as necessary.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

I have not seen Yao displaying leadership on the Rockets, on the CNT, yes, but not on the rockets.

I remember last year distinctly that it was the return of mutumbo that brought stability to the locker room.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love Hayes and Shane BUT their time is running out with the squad. Hayes has been playing less and less time and with the potential that Morey will go after a legit big I can see the Rox not bringing back the Chuckwagon. Shane and Trev are just to redundant to see that continue and his value is still high enough to contenders to get some serious value for him.

The squad should have plenty of Veterans to prove leadership and direction like Yao, Scola, and whoever comes on board will be a veteran along with Ariza who should be coming into his own as a leader.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

Do you realise that they won 27 LESS games, Pau Gasol missing 21 games does not explain that, nor does it explain their subsequent futility in following seasons. As great as they are this season, they won't get near the Win Loss from Battier's last season there.

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

A coach is never a replacement for great veteran locker room presence. A coach can become better because of a great lockerroom, look how good d'antoni looked in phoenix compared to New York, or Doc rivers in Boston before and after the garnett trade.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

going forward, what young players need his guidance? the billups situation doesn't compare because billups is a finals mvp. his actual play is missed in detroit more than his intangibles

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. Billups was the far superior player at that time. Iverson came into the NBA 10 years too soon.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i hope you're kidding. Scola, although his english is much improved, it's still not great, but mainly he's not the kind to speak up a lot. Same goes for Yao. Leaders need to be able to get their point across quickly and efficiently. Battier seems to do this well on his own and chuck holds back more, but can do it when needed.

Dont forget leadership doesnt stop outside of the 48 mins of play. Martin isn't that guy either. Brooks isnt. Lowry could be. No one else on the team has it though. You can bet this team doesnt win a ring without that kind of guy. It doesnt have to be battier or hayes, but if they get rid of those guys they better get another or others with the same leadership qualities.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think Hayes is vital, because we need him against other bigs, he can neutralize some pretty above average players. Which will only give us more edge, when Yao returns.

14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we dont need battier... his time is just about up. its time to move forward.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Who else can stop Kobe though? Trevor? No. Budinger, no. Martin. No. We still need battier to get over the lakers

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

The Battier can lockdown Kobe card is so overplayed. Get over it. There are better lockdown defenders on Kobe these days. Ariza can hold down Kobe as well if not better than Battier these days.

But yes , Battier's leadership and lockerroom presence is appreciated, even moreso this year due to the injury to Yao.

By the time both Battier and Hayes are gone, we'll have a lot of potential candidates that can replace them in the leadership and 'glue' department - Brooks, Lowry, Scola (if he's still here), and maybe even Ariza or Budinger. I think all five of those players have potential to be great locker room influences. I think Brooks and Lowry have really stepped up their leadership presence this year, both on and off the court, and I can totally see them being captains down the line.

#16 LCII, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  17. Karolik

Karolik Member

So their best player missing 1/4 of the season in a part where teams are supposed to be gelling doesn't have a big impact? Plus you conveniently forgot to mention that Battier was way better as a player than the rookie Rudy Gay which basically trumps your argument for 06-07.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think they are likely to let Hayes walk. Since we will be in the lux tax his contract extension would cost Les like 4 million.

I hope they decide to keep him. He has quietly gotten much better offensively. If he keeps it up he might be good for 2-3 decent looking touches a game.

19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

truguy, I think you're trying to hard to make your point. Your 3 cases are kind of weak. All 3 can be explaineed by other factors besides the disappearance of vets, and none of them are really championship teams.

That said, it well agreed upon that you veteran leadership is a good thing. I would guess that the average years experience on championship teams would consistently be over half the rest of the league.

Of the 3 players you mentioned, only Battier really strikes me as a leader per se. Of course, we're not in the locker room to tell for sure. Battier seems to be the guy who's instructing others on defense and sharing his experience. That's not to say that Scola and Hayes don't set examples by giving it all they got every night, that's just not what Battier gives you.

What I think gives this team a bit of an engle is how it's constructed and how the players are utilizied. It looks as though every player on the team knows why they were brought in, what's expected of them, and feels that thier role is vital (accept for trade filler guys). As well, I think the other players know the role of everyone else and how it helps the team and themselves better. It's a win win all around.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think this is a brilliant thread and fully agree with the OP. He even backed it up with impressive stats about how teams that didn't lose much talent on paper completely lost their winning ways. I'm surprised that not more people speak up agreeing with this.