1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why So Much Patterson Hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nbalopez23, Dec 1, 2012.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

SIGNED
    [​IMG]

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yep. Patrick "It's Nothing Personal" Patterson.

But also, in a very real sense, Patterson is being showcased as a trade chip. He is not a complete player but is by no means a bad one. If he hits the trading blocks, there will be a strong market for his services.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well, if someone's going to leave him open, he's going to knock 70% or something. Midrange is a good tool, it opens up the rest of the game for a big like him. It's much easier to defend lets say PnR if all the big man does is roll, or all he does is shoot. Overall, he was an efficient volume scorer, so it worked.

This year, he's been at an extreme so far, and since he's no Dirk, it's not so good.

btw, are you sure about 43% and more than 2/3 of his shots? it looks closer to 45% to me, but i'm not sure which stats you are using (i'm looking at hoopdata)

4. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

5. PureElement

PureElement Member

I don't necessarily hate PatPat, but he does get on my nerves a lot.

1.) Hes a very poor rebounder. This is unacceptable for a PF and especially when you're paying in our system where we need that rebound to start a fast break.
    2.) Hes not aggressive enough making contact and drawing fouls.
    3.) Hes not a good screen setter, which is again unacceptable in our half court pick and roll offence.
    4.) Not a good weak side shot blocker. Not the biggest deal, but still would be something he needs.

Starters who gets big mins need to be multifaceted. They don't need to be perfect but they need a lot of skills. Once Pat improves even two of top three things, I'd be happy to fully support him as our starting PF.

1 person likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't put Hill in the same category as Landry / Scola but I think you're right. Patterson can become one of those guys that thrives as the 3rd option when teams are ganging up on #1 and 2. He doesn't grab rebounds at a good rate but has a couple moments on the glass and can be a complement to a big rebounder like Asik.

7. Ultimate6thMan

I used to feel this way about PPat, especially when he was played at the 5 last year. But I have to admit that he has far exceeded my expectations this year.

We have to remember that he STILL has room to grow. If he can start rebounding at 8 or more a game, which he is improving in slowly, then if he keeps on his current shooting pace, he will be a hard PF to replace in the end.

He can learn to become more aggressive still and to set better screens. He will never be an Ibaka with blocking shots, but he is starting to get about 1 a game, so that could improve slightly as well.

I really wanted to get rid of him early on and play the younger guys, but right now, I can't see how any of them could do better. And to upgrade the position with a better power forward that far exceeds his "potential" at a cost that would make sense, is getting harder with each game that he continues to improve.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it is hate really. He just more of the same old, same old. He is scola and landry. Landry I think was more explosive and scola had more post game, but 2pat is probably a better defender.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's quite good. But I was speaking in comparison to Patterson, who is much better. He shot ~50% on jumpshots as a rookie. Last year kind of doesn't count due to injury issues. This year he's shooting 43% but including 3 pointers, which he's shooting 37% on.

Aldridge is better than Patterson overall because of his superior rebounding and post game. But just in terms of jumpshots, Patterson is better.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Criticizing Pat for anything other than his rebounding is just nitpicking. Why get on him about not drawing free throws? Ryan Anderson has only 19 free throws on the season, even less than 2Pat despite attempting more field goals. That doesn't stop him from having a fantastic TS% of 59.3. Pat's TS% this year is a solid 56%, which matches Lamarcus Aldridge's career best. His rookie season was even better. His offensive game is the least of our concerns.

In fact, if he can expand his range to the top of the arc and become a pick and pop threat there, it might be a go to play because of Harden and Lin's penetration. Just hope he can develop that.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

People are expecting too much from PPAT. The guy isn't going to be the type of offensive player where you run Isolation plays but in our system he does very well. You can see the last 3 games he has scored 20 points or more. I think he will continue to score in the high teens the rest of the year. He is an efficient player that will continue to improve.

If you guys want to hate on someone......hate on LIN. :grin:

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm not a fan of Patrick Patterson, and It's not that I hate him, its just that I don't think he's the answer at the starting Power Forward moving forward.

I just hope his production continues to improve so he can net us something good at the trade deadline. Wouldn't mind if he could net us his former Kentucky teammate, Eric Bledsoe.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Just curious why Bledsoe there is so much hype around him I don't get it?

14. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

-I thought he was player of the game behind Harden. Him, and Asik played huge. We had quite a few players of the game last night though. With the starters playing like they did.

We do need an upgrade at the PF spot, I agree. He's playing well over his pay ATM. He has added the 3 pt. shot this year. So far shooting it just under 40% I think. Let's give the guy some credit.

-He won't every play as big as an Al Jefferson, or even Milsap. He is what he is.

--I do miss those highlight dunks during his rookie season though!
    ...Thought it was the "no real time" to get the knee healed fully last year with all the games put into the abbreviated season with a ton of back to backs, but he still isn't showing the power that he showed his rookie season. That aside however, he is a much
    better all around player now.

15. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

and edit excuse me edit "He won't ever* play" not EVERY*

16. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Just because he is a below average rebounder? Unlike Bargnani Patterson can actually score on fairly high volume on high efficiency. Bargnani is a career low efficiency chucker who can't rebound, play defense, or really do anything at all.

17. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Why in gods name would the Clippers want to trade Bledsoe for a PF when they have BG? They need a starter quality SF more than anything and maybe a starter quality SG.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't think that was an insult to Patterson. Bargnani at 15 (or wherever Patterson was picked) would be a major steal.

19. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I agree he is a poor rebounder, and plays a bit "weak" for his strong body.
    Asik has been a savior for PP this year that's for sure in the interior D.

Asik is eating up a lot of the rebounds as well, but still no excuse for PP. Since PP has never shown himself as a strong rebounding PF.

-We can probably look at him right now as Morey's asset! I'd bet on that.
    I'd love keeping him for a bench role, and upgrading over the summer though.
    I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would take on his services this year.

20. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think PPat's jump shooting has been really key for this offense. Every opposing team starts the game packing the paint because the Rocket's offense completely relies on dribble penetration leaving PPat open looks. Since PPat has been making these shots, teams then had to adjust and that drags a shot blocker out of the paint. Obviously both Harden and Lin benefit from this but I think Lin does more because Harden is always the focus of the defense.

PPat fits nicely in this offense as a stretch 4 and his defense is solid. I like that a player of his size can play a finesse game but he needs to be more physical especially on defensive rebound opportunities. He needs to box out. I would also like to see PPat add the ability to roll instead of just pick and pop on offense.

Even though this team really needs a big man offensive threat that hopefully is a great jump shooting pick and roll man who can catch and finish around the rim, I think we should be more patient 2Pat and let's see if he continues to develop.