1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

why Pop is the best coach than JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, May 18, 2006.

1. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

Pop started michael finley. He realized that his current line up wouldn't get the job done, so he adjusted. I don't think there is ANY way in hell JVG would have made that adjustment. JVG would have tried to slow it down and grind it out, thus, being at home sitting down. Anyone think otherwise?

2. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

I'm sorry, the title of this threat should read "why pop is a better coach than JVG"

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If we had players like Mike Finley, you better believe they would be starting.

The only tactical move of any consequence that JVG made last year during the playoffs was putting Ryan Bowen on Dirk - which worked pretty well for a little while. Other than that - it's a players league, and our players didn't make plays.

I don't get where you think JVG won't adjust his starting line ups. He used a lot this year, and in the past he tried moves that Rudy wouldn't even dream of, with some success (such as playing Cato next to Yao).

4. docgundy

docgundy Member

Lock this please. JVG always switches up starting lineups. Last year vs Dallas, when RYBO started at the 4, he shut down Dirk. Then we lost 2 games in a row, and JVG inserted Padgett the rest of the series. He's always tinkered at the pf position, even back in NY, going among Camby, Oakman, Dudley, etc. This is a very stupid thread.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

First of all Jeff Van Dummy wouldn't take a player like Finley because he is not an ex-Knick.

6. Toast

Toast Member

Second of all, Jeff Van Gundy was never the GM the season his team totally tanked to get the #1 draft pick, and then shortly after fired his team's head coach so he could reap all the glory.

Hey, that gives me an idea, though. Maybe if the Rockets somehow get the #1 pick this year Carroll Dawson will fire JVG and take the head coaching job.

Finally, it all makes sense ...

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How often did JVG adjust the starting lineup this season for reasons other than injury?

Also, how often did he make the adjustment at halftime and change the lineup starting the third quarter?

8. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

How often did he have a guy like Finley sitting on the bench? I'm sure he would make a change like that.

Of course, I have no idea why he plays Juwan Howard at all.

9. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

I agree with you. We should give Stro more minutes to show that he's not a trash.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Who I blame is Rick Pittino and the Celtics bad luck. All this Pop nonsense would not be here today. Pop is just an opportunist who fired a descent coach in Bob Hill to gravy train Duncan's back to two championships.

What has Pop really achieved other than being a backstabber?

He is being out coached in this series by a second year coach - that is all one needs to knows. Anyone who forces his coach to tank games to land Tim Duncan and then fire him so that he can assume the coaching position (conviniently) should not be considered a good man talkless of a good coach. I say though that he was a descent GM - that is about it.

11. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

12. arjun

arjun Member

o god who cares whose a better coach, ofcourse pop is a better coach, but still damn man, its just a simple fact the spurs r better than the rockets, forget the coaches, rite now straight up, spurs > rockets,