1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why our Players are FAR from their peaks -- Statistical Analysis and Hypothesis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Dec 3, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Perhaps I should clarify.

Players have entered the league typically at one of two junctures, out of high school/first year (introduced later at 18-19) and at the end of College (21-22).

Since not every player enters the NBA out of High School or first year I believe that the age 21 peak and age 26 peak have to be treated as separate cohorts of players peaking.

Thus I'm viewing the initial two peaks as separate cohorts of developing talent, the first on a curve from the younger age, the second on a curve from the older age of entry.

In actuality, I think the 21 year "peak" is actually not the peak, and is in fact occurring at age 22 or 23 but being skewed downward because of the entry of a significant number of NCAA Draft players, which would point to a 4 year development time to "peak" skill levels.

So, while I haven't done the more granular data extraction myself, I wouldn't be surprised if 18 and 19 year old player Actually peak at 22 and 23, while the 21 and 22 year old players peak at 25 and 26, with the 22 and 23 year old cohort's performance being statistically diluted by the influx of College players.

These are just hypotheses of course, and since I'm currently unwilling to attempt to extract that much data (10,000 man seasons is A LOT), for now they will remain so. :grin:

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I view them different:

[​IMG]

There are I believe multiple interpretations of the data. The 21 year old peak is the most statistically significant outlier on the graph and might certainly be due to your interpretation. The group is composed of high school draftees (older data) and freshmen entering the draft. Top draft picks. The drop off at 22 could be interpreted by an influx of drafted older players who do not have the skill sets of their younger predecessors. The other 2 points would fall into my not statistically significant group. But I am good with a minor disagreement. And you might be right. But 26 and 30 seem to be reaches to me.

#22 jtr, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. just a word

just a word Member

Actually, I was playing around with the idea of seeing if I could track player's growth by minutes played. And wondering how much, or how little, D-League practice times helps with development.

Partially, I'm wondering how many of the guys who only last a couple of years did so because they couldn't break into the rotation to get solid experience, so they're always stuck at that 'theoretical knowledge since I practice with the team' stage because they couldn't get past the threshold of minutes.

Given all that, it might also be worth it to track college minutes and strength of opponent, but that's... a bit too headexplody a concept right now.

4. torocan

torocan Member

That had actually occurred to me, but unfortunately that sort of data hasn't been compiled anywhere that I have seen, at least I haven't even heard of someone trying to compile and mine it.

Since the 3-4 year curve is a generalization, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of outliers due to insufficient minutes due to lack of repetitions, I just don't have enough data to say anything definitively on the subject.

Given the nature of learning curve, it does make significant sense. It's really hard to master anything if you don't hit that magical 10,000 repetition mark, and it's certainly very hard to do that off the bench UNLESS you're like Morey and are intentionally trying to build a farm system.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morey & Co. are compiling their own data curves on player development in the D-League. If me with my poor excuse for analytical skills can see the need, I'm sure they've already thought of it and are tracking it at this very moment.

:grin:

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nice, but unfortunately it's just so hard to make concrete analysis based on such limited data with limited time. I'm quite sure the Rockets have much more detailed analysis on player growth data, peaks, etc. But unlike baseball, most of the top basketball advanced metrics are proprietary information hoarded by individual teams, after learning from mistakes of Billy Beane.

Personally, I just go by eye test and more or less a "feel" given 20+ years of watching the NBA. It's not scientific, but somewhat of an educated guess. For example, I see most potential in Motiejunas, because he has rebounding skills, post skills, and shooting skills. These are fairly innate and rarely if ever get developed on an NBA level. They also allow for a player to become star caliber. And what he lacks, strength, defense, aggression, are things that often improve assuming a player puts in the work. Doesn't mean DMo will be a star, but it's possible as long as he continues to work hard on his game. While players like Jones and Patterson do not have skills conducive to becoming a star, even if they can become very good players.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's more of a plateau at ages 25-29 than two distinct "peaks". Which fits with conventional wisdom, that players are at their best in their mid to late 20s.

7. CertifiedTroll

How can u be typin' this shi' when there are juggalos a lurkin'?

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I look at it like this, how good can your 3 best be? How many all star caliber talents do you have. How many all nba type player do you have? That's the important thing to me.

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Nice analysis!
    [​IMG]

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

There have been a lot of championships won with only one true all star and a great supporting cast. It's not uncommon. Even more common to win a title with only two all-stars.

Often supporting players only get labeled all-stars after their team wins a title :)

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

yeah! THIS!

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Yes, I believe in one interview, someone asked Morey which were the best publicly available stats to measure something (I want to say "Defense", but can't recall exactly). And Morey responded by saying that there were no publicly available stats that accurate measured this element, and that all the best stats on this area were proprietary.

This means armchair enthusiasts are out of luck, since the information is considered a trade secret. Morey has the info, but he's just not willing to share it with the public since it represents a significant investment of financial/staffing/recording/computing resources and is a competitive advantage for GM's. And he feels none of the publicly available alternatives hold a candle to his proprietary options.

13. torocan

torocan Member

At this point the most advanced statistical tools are done by firms like Stats LLC who compile tremendous amounts of information using significant amounts of computing power, multiple angle cameras, and the most sophisticated forms of motion tracking.

Houston is one of a handful of teams on the cutting edge of using these sophisticated data gathering, modeling and mining tools.

On the bright side, Analytics is moving fast. On the down side, it's not available to media or the general public. For a team to utilize these packages, the cost runs in the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The hardware and manpower to institute this stuff is quite substantial as is noted in this article from Sports Illustrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba...undless-potential-with-nbas-advanced-metrics/

So, for the juiciest data sets, the punters at home are basically in the dark. We either have to infer from tidbits leaked through the media, derivative statistics from less sophisticated sources, or attempt to compile and interpret data ourselves.

14. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Yes, Stats LLC provides the raw data sets from all their arenas to each client, so the more comprehensive multi-arena raw data-sets are shared across teams as well as non-team-affiliated third party clients like researchers who pony up, but I believe the analysis and data-mining software used by each team to process those data sets may be unique, proprietary, and exclusive to each team.

Morey has mentioned that there's a job opening he's currently looking to fill, focusing on Wallstreet software engineers who create the financial statistical programs used for things like nano-second high-frequency-trading, to find someone who has a passion for basketball, software programming prowess, and skills and specialization in statistical analysis.

This Stats LLC connection does bring up an interesting point regarding potential acquisition targets. Only some teams have the camera systems installed by Stats LLC (not all teams choose to pony up the cash, or allow the installation of these cameras, which are not league-wide). So potential trade/free agency targets from teams that are clients of Stats LLC would give Morey surer footing for analysis, as opposed to teams who decline to install this system in their arenas.

Though I suppose over the course of a season, even players from non-Stats LLC teams will have some portion of their performance recorded by a Stats LLC arena during away games, albeit with a more limited sample size and thus home-court performance wholly missing.

For an advanced stat-centric GM like Morey, would he be more comfortable focusing on acquisition targets from Stats LLC clients? There's probably a list of Stats LLC client teams out there to find out which arenas have the system installed, and thus give Morey greater assessment precision for trade/free-agent acquisition targets.

15. EvanZ

EvanZ New Member

Hey, there, Rockets fans.

I'm the guy who writes "The City" blog. Saw a bunch of hits from this site, and wanted to check out what was going on.

Also wanted to mention that I actually applied for that job mentioned above. It was just before the Harden trade went down. Interviewed and went out to lunch with Daryl and Sam. Great guys. It was a lot of fun. In the end, "they went in a different direction", but it was still a great opportunity for me just to be able to be considered. They told me there was around 800 applications for the job.

I can share one semi-funny story. I'm a Warriors fan (I don't think they held that against me, so hopefully you all won't either :)). At lunch, the subject got around to the draft (I can't tell you what they said about Royce :eek:), and Daryl asked me if I was the GM of the team, who would I have drafted?

Now, I really was a huge fan of John Henson, so I told him that I really liked Henson, but it would have been hard for me to pass up Barnes once he slipped to 7. (In retrospect, I probably should have said Drummond.) At any rate, Daryl was grilling me so hard about this, that I didn't even have time to eat. By the time I started eating, everyone else at the table was finished! :grin:

16. torocan

torocan Member

Glad to see you found us here. :)

BTW, if you ever want to do an updated number crunching of age peaks separating out the age one and done cohort apart from the NCAA draft cohort, I won't complain. ;)

AND if you're really bored, I would love for you to separate peak/plateau performance by position. I am very curious how various positions develop in terms of skill sets. I have a sneaking suspicion that 2 guards, Centers, and Point Guards all develop differently.

Only if you're really bored of course. :p

Either way, great stuff on your blog, and have a merry Christmas. :grin:

17. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

you should hire torocan to be your stats guy the next time a job offer come up

18. torocan

torocan Member

Hah. Not likely.

I'm not a number cruncher on the level of the guys they're looking to hire. With 800 job apps, guaranteed there's more than a few PHD's.

Not to mention, it's an analyst job. I would hate to have to do it for a living vs for fun. :eek:

19. just a word

just a word Member

LMAO, I was the one that asked them on the site for this exact same thing. :grin: Just mentioning this for their reference that more than one person is interested.

Though I would also be interested in the results of separating out curves by draft date tbh.

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Nice graphs.

Oh wait, you didn't make your own and just stole someone else's, charlatan.