1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why nobody talks about our turnovers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by somenobody, Oct 31, 2010.

1. somenobody

somenobody Member

There are two opinions now on the board on why we are 0-3 now.One is that Yao's in-and-out is hurting us because we don't have an identity. The other is that AB's low basket IQ caused our loss.

I think both opions have their right sides. But I think what really kill us was turnovers. We have 19 turnovers in yesterday game and 20 in Laker's game. A lot of them are no-brainers (not due to the pressure on offense). So many bad passes, travellings, out-of-bounds. Those turnovers ended a lot of prosessions and give our opponents an easy life on defense end. I think it is always altitude that determines the number of turnovers. A lot of people say that with Yao's back and our deep roster we are a contender now. But without hard working, the most-talented team could be a mediocre. And apprently, the team is not that talented. The team has not right to think we are good right now. The players have to start to focus and work hard on the floor.

Opinions?

1 person likes this.
  2. somenobody

somenobody Member

A typo.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I've been waiting for a post that talked about the true reason we are 0-3, this is it. TURNOVERS...even in the Warriors game, in the 3rd period when they extended their lead, Turnovers were huge in the momentum swing. When we clear this mess up then we might see a "W".

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Good post. Injecting Yao back into the lineup along with a few new rotation players and you can expect higher turnovers at the beginning of the season. We need to iron these out and improve our 3-pt defense and we will start pumping out Ws.

5. somenobody

somenobody Member

chemistry is one reason of turnovers. But I think some players are not concentrated enough on the floor. Now I feel most of loose balls go to our opponents. Before I remember most of them went to our sides. I was so pround that we had so many bulldogs on the team. Now they seems just gone.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets have generally been a higher turnover team when Yao plays. That trend goes way back.

7. somenobody

somenobody Member

In 2008-2009 season, when Yao played a whole regular season, we had 13.3 turnovers/game, ranked 11 in the league. Not that bad. These 3 game, we average 16.3 turnovers/game.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/09/1/diffeff/1-1

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lack of Chemistry and identity = turnovers.

DD

9. somenobody

somenobody Member

Dribble the ball out of bounds, travelling and no-brainer passes have not much to do with chemistry and identity.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually they do......when you don't have an identity as a team, you tend to attempt to do too much.

Right now, our guards are both trying to do a little too much, because that is what they do on nights Yao is not in, and it is what they did last year.

They have to find a balance, and Yao being back and severly limited has screwed up the on court chemistry, thus creating turnovers.

I am not sure who you are refering to with no-brainer passes, but so far, AB has been pretty good with a greater than 2 to 1 assist to turnove ratio.....and 7 assists a game.

DD

11. somenobody

somenobody Member

It was not one single pass I am referring to. There were just too many bad passes. Some didn't cost a turnover, but did damage the offense. So I am not point my finger to anyone. It is a whole team thing. I just feel the players don't fight and focue as before.

12. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

how about our horrible defense? teams are scoring at will on us.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

havent the turnovers been pretty spread out for the most part? That definitely points to chemistry. They're having issues knowing each others' game, knowing when to pass or not, where to pass, etc..

chuck is getting at least one travel a game, perhaps he should ease up a bit or be more careful, that's one turnover that should definitely not be happening so consistently.

14. somenobody

somenobody Member

It is an issue for the first 2 games. But we are getting better. Yesterday, Denver's shooting percentage was 37.8%. But they shot 9 more times than us and have a lot of freethrows. No doubt we should improve our defense. But the Rockets can do immediately is to stay focusing and reduce unnecessary turnovers.

15. somenobody

somenobody Member

That's what I am talking about!

16. durvasa

The Rockets were also 19th in pace that year. Amongst playoff teams, our turnover rate was poor.

And the point I was making is that when Yao plays, we tend to be more turnover prone. Consider this chart (data from 82games.com):

[​IMG]

I show the TOVs per 100 possessions as ranges, because 82games rounds to whole numbers. Still, the trend is clear.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the trend i see is the team increasing in turnovers without yao on the court. his last full season showed the smallest variance between off and on court. interestingly, i believe that coincided with his highest usage rate, but more importantly, it coincides with the move to aaron brooks as primary ball handler

18. durvasa

His last full season with us corresponds to "2009" in the chart.

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

exactly. the smallest differential between off and on court and only a small increase of "on-court" from previous year with his highest usage rate.

my point is the team needs to compliment the star. yao is turnoverprone. fact. therefore, we need our secondary players to be better handling the ball.

20. durvasa

Smallest differential between off and on would be 2007 (when the offense was running more through McGrady), wouldn't it?