1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

why no news about the rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sup123, Jul 8, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

Why is nothing being heard about the rockets pursing free agents. Only thing ive seen is the barry offer. All the free agents are getting picked up quick. Hopefully we already have something in place.

Just dont tell me CD is just sitting around waiting for people to call him. :eek:

2. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Traditionally, the Rocket's front office is mum about anything to do about a trade or free agent until it is either done or about done. Usually the only time you hear about anything is when the other side lets loose some info to the press.

Personally, I am glad that the Rocket's execs are doing this so no other team can come in and sweeten the pot and take a player away from us.

3. TIburon

TIburon Member

Well considering that everyone GM is going out of their freakin mind for Camby, Okur, Skip to my Lou and Turkoglu...

I'm happy Houston is waiting and watching...

I see 2 things that is possibly happening...

1) There are a lot of teams with Big time money out there ready to spend like Bobcats 17mil, Hawks 20mil, Jazz/Nuggets 15-16mil and Spurs/Clippers 14mil...

They are going to watch what other teams do...

2) Houston has a trade exception that they need to use and this is a way we will either get a backup center or PG... MLE is still there for whatever position is not filled by the trade exception...

Fisher, Barry, Ward will be watching what those teams above are going to do especially teams like Spurs, Nuggets and maybe even Jazz...

What we know:
    Arroyo resigned with Jazz..
    Ginobili may be resigned by Spurs soon(something was on foxsports southwest last night about it almost being done...(also here stephen jackson may go back to San Antonio-hopefully so we can get Barry)...
    Skinner signs with Philly...
    Foyle resigns with G.S.

Nuggets have to be the most intriguing team right now...

So just sit back and watch the GM's spend baby, spend...

If I had to guess either Barry or Ward will be here in Houston unless Fisher takes a cheap deal... My bet is Ward...

Big man probably Ostertag or someone like that...

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ward and doleac.....

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I like the idea of getting Battie with the TE so that Cleveland can resign Boozer. Then spliting the MLE on a PG (BB) and another Big like Osterfat.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, a 25 year old back to back reigining scoring champ, and a career 17-7 PF. This front office needs to get off its hands. :rolleyes:

The earliest any deal can go down is July 14. Seriously, it makes no difference if teams get agreements down July 1 or July 13 for these guys.

Especially if the Rockets are dealing with any restricted free agents (Chris Mihm, Etan Thomas) - their teams would have 2 weeks to match from the time the offer sheet is signed, which can't be until July 14 - why give them extra time to decide whether to match?

The Rockets got Jim Jackson fairly late into the offseason. Same with Mo Taylor. We really have no need to overpay for the marginal talent out there.

7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Yu frgt Shandn Andersn....:D

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you haven't heard anything because the Magic GM is NOT invovled

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree, if the Rockets can pull off a deal like that they could potentially solidify themselves as a top team in the West, at least on paper.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

and it would screw the Jazz at the same time :)

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Rockets and CD are dealing from a position of strength now that we have 2 studs on our team. We will wait until the bids for the TE reach a feverish pitch. Somebody is going to get desparate and overpay for our TE. I think we are smart to wait and lay low. I am convinced we are still gonna bring in more good talent that meshes with Yao and TMac, shooters and bangers.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the cavs just became the most obvious of trading partners for us...

they would be interested in either the TE or (if they let boozer go) mo.