1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why MDA is one of the NBA's Greatest ever coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, May 25, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Let me guess, multiple WCF appearances?

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Appropriately coaching the second greatest team ever

HP3 and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Lol that's funny

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, he is but couple of guys took his ideas and became more successful.

Never copyrighted it......haha.

Great animation!

#5 daywalker02, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until he plays his bench effectively . .. . . . he isn't

Rocket River

Jontro and javal_lon like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Im guessing no one actually watched the video lol.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It was worth watching

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm guessing it's more analytic gibberish... Look at the points per ball rotation.. Blah blah blah

HP3 likes this.
  10. BunkoBenny

BunkoBenny Member

Eh, sorry not buying it.

11. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

LOLLLLLLLLLL... and what's up with the timing of this piece...

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

sammy likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I just checked it out . I understand the argument and agree with many things . MDA doesn't get as much due as he should for the change he has initiated .

However , it's also a what have you done for me lately league . So while I respect him for what he did , that doesn't factor into how good I think he is now .... which is just ok

The video talk about his adaptability . But , the narrator makes it seem like forming your scheme to match your talent (David Lee and harden example) is some rare skill . More or less that's what every coach does or should do .

Before these last few years , James best attribute was never isolation scoring . He was a great pick and roll player because gen could get to the rim , finish or pass .

The video talks about switching defense's forcing harden to score in isolation . But then makes it seem like MDA allowing harden to score in those situations is brilliant coaching . It's been james that has worked on his moves and stepback 3 . It's been james that made isolation efficient .

To me this is where I have some questions, because it seems like this is letting the defense dictate . Sure , the defense DOES dictate , they have to give up something . MDA can't get us anything better than an ISO? Hardens ISO skills should be used sparingly .... not be our plan A .

Harden is a more versatile player than many here give him credit for . He's a solid off ball , and would no doubt get even better as he gets more game reps . James can attack the basket from anywhere , why is he not cutting more ?

To those that doubt James' ability to adapt look at his defensive progression .

I know that you think I hate MDA , but I don't. I just don't think he's good enough . I don't know who's available who is better , that's not my job ... that's the front office's . I'd welcome back JVG if he's learned a thing or two . What I want is a better blend of an efficiency philosophy and a willingness to give developing players a chance to contribute .

Tailoring a system to your players is great , but at what point is it asking too much and relying on players beyond their capabilities .

Harden's workload these last couple of years have been absurd . Even last year when we had a 58 games of CP3 , James averaged 35 and a half mpg.

The year before that ... we had Beverley , Gordon , and got Lou Williams .... James played 81 games and averaged 36.5 mpg

Don't tell me "James decides when and how much to play." That's BS , if mike doesn't have the balls to control his team then I don't want him . If James is truly a cancer than can't be coached at all then I don't want HIM.

It's not just a superstar league and players ignore coaching . MIL is under bud's control . Pop obviously runs the ship is SA . GS doesn't seem to have a problem listening to Kerr . Lebron didn't win until he had a a coach he obeyed . Carlisle rules in Dal . Phil Jackson had his zen mojo whatever you wanna call it , at the end of the day he got Kobe and Shaq to do what he said .

When has MDA taken an average team and managed them above expectations? His tenures in NYK and LA were failure , even if there are mitigating factors . He topped out as 7th seed in those situations despite having veteran all-star caliber players .

He's getting carried by great players more than he's creating an environment for them to thrive .... at least IMO

HP3 likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what bench? the minimum wage platoon? or the 10-day rec center guys?

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The timing of this is wrong. But I think we'll look back and appreciate MDA. I like him as a person, as a player's coach, and as an optimist. Hopefully... we'll win. But if not, hopefully he'll be remembered like JVG is. We still like JVG but his results were significantly worse than D'Antoni's (but so were his rosters). I think we typically look back positively on Adelman, too, who also tended to avoid playing prospects or experimenting with things that weren't 'his way'.

D'Antoni surely isn't in the same league of clueless coach as Bickerstaff and McHale.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i couldn't stand a jvg offense. i think the list will go in this order, rick the ruler, pringles, eye bags (in terms of entertainment).

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Cmon man, thats a narrow way of thinking.

javal_lon and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. SemisolidSnake

This got me to watch it, and I learned a lot. Not entirely sure how to feel afterwards, but I'll back you up that people should spend the 7 minutes to watch this. The clunky British voiceover and the drawing of Popovich are worth it on their own.

HP3 likes this.