1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Mavs are so good this year so far?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dfwrox, Feb 22, 2007.

1. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Ok, the obvious ones:
    Great coaching, two all stars, deep bench, core of team has been together for fairly long time.

But I would like to add another very important factor that have been overlooked about Mavs -- they are incredibly LUCKY this year!

Both Dirk and Josh Howard were injury prone (just check their injury time last couple seasons). But this season, they did not have any injury. In fact, their major injury was Jerry Stackhouse was out for several games!

Look at other top teams in the West:
    Suns -- Nash;
    Utah -- Boozer;
    Spurs -- (ok this one did not add up)
    Rockets -- TMac, Yao take turns;
    Lakers -- Odom;
    Nuggets -- Melo Suspension, AI injury.

What I am trying to say here is this -- luck will eventually run out! I am looking forward to the time that misfortune hits Mavs and takes out both Dirk and Josh Howard on the same day :D :D

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

wrong forum...this belongs in the Recycle Bin :p

all Mavs thread belong in the trash, even ones that bash them...I'm sick and tired of Mavs this and Mavs that

3. Omer

Omer Member

That's kinda bad wishing injury on them, but yeah the lack of injuries have helped them out but they are pretty damn good I have to admit.

Not saying that we can't beat em though.

4. Dei

Dei Member

I just don't want that to happen during the play-offs. I want them to be beaten fair and square. If they were beaten because of a handicap, Dallas fans would b**** all year long and say that the champs were undeserving.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Josh Howard has missed about 10 games this year and they have won all but 1.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

They will make excuses either way.

To thread starter: Josh Howard and Dirk NoWit. both had minor ankle sprains this season...did you forget :confused:

Who knows what would happen to them if they lost dirk or josh for 6 wks or longer.

7. Head9

Head9 Member

You do have a point! :D

On the other hand, we did save a lot of Lucky last season, and saved further

more this season, although we spread some misfortune last game, we still

have enough reservers for the Championship! :cool:

In hooper china, people call it conversation of RP (moral).

In physics, Einstein call it mass-energy equivalence, E=mc².

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

+Devin George and Mbenga are hurt.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Mavs ability to stay focused game after game after game is amazing. Except for a couple of games near the All-Star break (esp. Milwaukee), they come to play every night and rarely play down to the level of their competition.

They have very good talent, but their amazing 45-5 run can be attributed to superior coaching that gets the most out of that team. I dislike the Mavs intensely but I truly admire Avery Johnson. The Mavs never would have excelled like this under Nellie. If they keep rolling Avery Johnson should be a unanimous coach of the year choice (and JVG should get every 2nd place vote if we keep rolling).

I want both the Mavs and Suns to have ridiculous regular season records and I want the Rockets to knock both of them out of the playoffs. This season is starting to remind me of 1995. When Hakeem came back and rounded into form, he was the only player who had fresh legs. Those fresh legs allowed the Road Warriors to dust three 60 win teams in the playoffs. I'm hoping Yao and the Rockets repeat the performance.

10. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

When the team sucked for the whole franchise history, some good karma is bounded to happen.
    Basketball God is fair to everyone
    Look at the Pacers, never won a championship but they were in the playoffs every single year.
    Look at the Celtics, once the most dominant team in the east, now have sucked for 10 straight years and now have put all their eggs on the lottery

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I won't wish injury on anyone, but, yes, I have noticed that the mavs have been virtually spared of injury.

12. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D Post of the Year....I HATE THE MAVS !! My sister called me tonight and said " guess who I am sitting next to ?" I said "who," she said "Mark Cuban" I then said " look at him and shoot him the finger and say " that was from my brother.." :D She took my niece to see Wade but of course he was out and my niece was upset. They have taught her wrong as she loves Wade and is scared of Yao :confused: she calls him "monster !!" :D

13. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay then I will....Please let Dirk and Howard get hurt... :D Now I really felt bad for Wade he is a great guy but I can't stand Hairy ass Dirk...He is such a big baby he cries for every call he doesn't get. I swear if the Mavs win it all this year I won't hear the end of it from all my relatives in D-Town....

14. cannonjb123

cannonjb123 Member

Speaking of crying did you see Dwhistle last night what a little p***y. Every championship run has a little luck involved in it.

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

kid, if you have ever dislocated you shoulder come back here and tell us of your experience

16. cannonjb123

cannonjb123 Member

I have, and I didn't cry.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i doubt it was as serious as wade's... if you are even telling the truth.

18. cannonjb123

cannonjb123 Member

a dislocation is a dislocation, but in all fairness I think Dwhistle was disapointed as much as he was hurt.

19. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Top 5 reasons why the Mavs are so good this year....

#5. They've never won a championship and, after coming so close last year, they are hungry as hell.

#4. They scout young talent well.

#3. Their coaches are very good.

#2. They underachieved terribly in the '03 - 04 season and got a great draft pick (Howard).

and the number one reason (by far) why the Mavs are so good this year....

#1. They are way-the-hell over the salary cap (team payroll: $92,320,604)

I mean... sheesh... The Rockets team salary is $64,811,316. Imagine what kind of talent we could bring to our team if we'd spent an extra $27 million this year!!!

To put that into perspective, $27 mil more would get us Kevin Garnett with $6 milllion dollars to spare.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He might have been acc player of the year but he was only the 29th pick. The mavs just draft smart, but howard should not have been the 29th pick. There are a lot of dumb GMs in the league.