1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the Bonzi Wells signing mentioned elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gengelmann, Oct 3, 2006.

1. gengelmann

gengelmann Contributing Member

I read in the Houston Chronicle that the Rockets signed Bonzi Wells but both NBA.COM and CNNSI.COM do not even mention that he was signed. What is up with that? It seems that they both announce the Vin Baker signing and Melvin Ely signing but this the Wells signing is not mentioned.

2. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Because it has already been mentioned. NBA.com posted the espn article of Bonzi's agent agreeing to sign with Houston. Don't worry man, its official. We have Bonzi.

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Welcome to the Houston vortex. Most sports writers don't know we exist. They assume that between the east coast and west coast exists a vast wasteland of people who don't have professional sports teams.

4. gengelmann

gengelmann Contributing Member

Tell me about it! :) I went to the Hall of Fame in Summer of 1996, which was a year after Houston won back to back championships and they did not have one banner up for either championship but they sure did have lots of rememberances for Detriot and New York for their two championships!

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

East Coast media bias.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

everywhere i've looked i've seen massive coverage of the Wells signing. i dont see any bias issues there.

Vinny Baker just keeps on popping up, doesnt he.
    good luck to him. Alcoholism is a nightmare to be around or go through.

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

9. Omer

Omer Member

Cause Ewing resigned.

10. Hazim_23

Hazim_23 Member

ESPN
    EastCoastSportsPropagandaNetwork

11. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

I heard about the Ewing thing, but Charlie Ward is gone too :confused:

Charlie Ward (born October 12, 1970 in Thomasville, Georgia) is an American football, basketball, and baseball player. One of only two athletes in history to be drafted into MLB, NFL, and NBA the other was Dave Winfield. Ward won the 1993 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback for Florida State University, and subsequently led the Seminoles to their first-ever National Championship when FSU defeated Nebraska 18-16 in the 1994 Orange Bowl. However, much controversy surrounded the win as Notre Dame had earlier in the year beaten Florida State and in February USA Today presented Lou Holtz with a trophy as the winner. Charlie was only the second African-American quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy, following Andre Ware in 1989; no black QB has accomplished the feat since. When Ward won the Heisman, he set the record (it has since been eclipsed) for the greatest margin of victory in the voting. He also won the Sullivan Award that year. In 2006 he was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame.

Though Ward did not play baseball in college, he was drafted as a pitcher by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1993 free agent draft and by the New York Yankees in 1994.

Ward was a model student-athlete at Florida State. As a senior and captain of the team in 1993, he voluntarily approached Seminoles Head Coach Bobby Bowden about a difficult situation surrounding incoming freshman Warrick Dunn, whose mother, policewoman Betty Smothers, was killed in the line of duty during Dunn's senior year of high school in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Charlie served as a surrogate big brother to Dunn during the latter's first year in Tallahassee, helping him through a trying time by becoming his roommate and friend. Because of his integrity, Ward also managed to escape the fallout that many of his teammates received for the notorious "free shoes" scandal that surfaced in the months after FSU won the National Championship in 1994. In his senior year at Florida State, he also served as Student Government Vice-President, after he was asked to run by the Monarchy Party, a student government reform organization.

Upon graduation, Ward made his intentions clear that should he not be taken in the first round of the NFL Draft his desire would be to play in the NBA. Accordingly, Ward was not selected in the NFL Draft, so instead of pursuing a career as a football player in the NFL like most Heisman winners, he began his career in the NBA as a point guard and was chosen in the 1st round of the 1994 NBA draft by the New York Knicks.

During his NBA career, Ward has established himself as a good three-point shooter, a reliable ball distributor, and a respected floor leader. He soon helped the Knicks reach the 1999 NBA Finals, before falling to the San Antonio Spurs. After maintaining relatively good health over his first decade in the league, though, injuries caused Ward to miss most of the 2004-05 season and put his career in jeopardy. Because of the injuries, Ward retired, and was, for a short time, an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets.

Off the court, Ward is one of the NBA's best role models, as he is known for

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Ward resigned? That was awfully quiet.