1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone against Z?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Why is everyone so against getting Zydrunas Ilgauskas?
    He is a good center and would be good to have this season while Yao is out and his contract runs out after the season.
    I think we'd be lucky to get him.

2. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

What would be the point unless you think he could push us over into the playoffs and beyond ?

3. logicx

logicx Member

Who's everyone? I haven't seen that much hatred for Z.

Maybe because he's older? It's a short-term fix? Just guesses.

4. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

he'll just get injured again if he comes to hou.
    plus we are rebuilding

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Because there's no benefit. We're not exactly set to win a championship so why waste money on bad rentals. Illgauskas barely plays like a center anymore. He just shoots midrange jumpers most of the time and cant do much else.

We need to make moves that project into the future, not useless rentals for what might be a rebuilding year.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

we'd be lucky to get him for nothing or for a minor player, not lucky to get him if we're trading tmac for him or shane, or anyone worth a damn on this team. He's a temporary fix and he's past his prime.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dr. Z is pretty much an even worse version of Yao. He just doesn't have career ending injuries anymore because he lives his old life shooting jumpers. The guy is injury prone as well.

8. bobbysikora

bobbysikora Member

I would agree to get him if we make cap space in the process, and we don't have to give up somebody vital to our franchise like Cuzco(scola) or battier

9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

We are filled with young, fast guys and Z is slower than molasses

10. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

the way we're moving now, seems we're going for younger people. Z's not very young

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Big-Z is just as soft as your argument!!!

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

lol yao is slower than Z

13. logicx

logicx Member

I would take Big Z as a backup if we were goin for it this year, and we had Yao back and there was no other alternative at backup C.

But with our current situation, just doesn't make a lot of sense unless he comes really cheap and I have to admit that I don't know what he's worth.

14. jose

jose Member

this is true.
    his contract is pretty big, I think around 12 to 14 mil, it expires after the next season however. if we planned on staying competitive it's not a terrible move because if it doesn't work out then he would just expire the next season and clear cap room, however I don't think cleveland will be trading him anyway since they have the best center combo in the league now.

and I think next year is the year for all the young players on the rockets to play their guts out just to keep people interested enough and to get a decent draft position(hopefully stockpiling on picks and or trading up), because it would be unbearable to watch the team tank.

15. kikimama

kikimama Member

That's debatable...

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Z is slow

Z is old

Z plays terrible defense for a player his size

Z is an awful rebounder

Z is not a physical player

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Z is very injury-prone

(forgot to add that)

18. jose

jose Member

1.) he's old, but he'd be a one year rental while also clearing cap space for next year if he didn't work out.

2.) he plays average defense but obviously not against players like dwight howard.

3.) he averaged 7.5 rebounds last season, and 9.3 rebounds the season before that.

4.) you are correct.

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

dude shut up already Z is garbage quit making useless ass threads like this again.... This Rockets team is a run and gun/fast uptempo Rockets team. We dont need no damn 50 year old washed up nonathletic player on our team... piece of crap thread.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

It's a lot of anger tonight in these threads.