1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is everyone against upgrading at PG (in the near future)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sen89, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

HE does not deserve his contract out of 35 games I assume. You GTFO.

2. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

LoL feel so sorry for OP.

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

YOU do not deserve the contract that is from the post of the thread in which the contract is threaded, which is to say that assumed, or dersevered, or contracted of which is therefore will not be so. You GTFO.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The Key thing to point out ... is that of that list, everybody except Dragic, Conley and Lowry are on their rookie contracts. If Lin was signed as a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick on two years guaranteed and two years team option like Morey likes to do, then he's still be on a Chandler Parsons contract and still in New York (or GSW).

Lowry is cheap because he was a restricted free agent, limiting the number of teams that threw money at him. And he was shooting 27% from 3pt range for the season when that contract was signed.

Dragic got an extra year plus player option. Similar number of games started as Lin before the contract. And he was unrestricted free agent. And Conley signed his contract (extension after 3rd yr if I recall correctly) coming off a 12pts/5.3assists in 32min, not exactly spectacular and to this day, most would still agree Lowry is the better player.

The going rate for that second contract - Holiday, Lawson, Curry, and Jennings, Irving, Wall, Rubio etc is going to be $10M/yr to theoretically near max for Wall & Rubio, and Max for Irving.

It just so happend Lin signed his second contract after two years in the league as opposed to 4 years for the 1st round picks. And part of the reason why he is still inconsistent.

That's how I would analyze Lin's contract relative to the others, and that is that Morey screwed Lowry, Conley was easily worse than Lin when he got his second contract, and Dragic and Morey couldn't come to agreement over a player's option but he got an extra year than Lin, for essentially the same 20-odd games as a starter (except Dragic didn't have the same impact as Lin, and his starting PG gig ended with a thud with Rockets faltering down the stretch and out of the playoffs), and that every other player on that list that will come off their rookie scales in the next year or two, will get more money than Lin, and more security (two more years).

#64 mike_lu, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

i think pg is our weakest position. finding a starter or even a backup would be good

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jimmer can shoot without the ball?!

1 person likes this.
  7. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Probably not then again it is what the market would bear.

Are you envious or jealous?

8. Arthurprescott2

Jimmer plays 9 minutes a game for one of the worst teams in the league. But you want him to play starting PG for us, merely for 3 pt shooting? Giving up one of our only 3 playmakers for that? I laughed initially because it was surprising that there are Jimmer fans around still. But your actual reason is even worse.

Unless you're basing your reasoning on the 113 minutes he's played this season... talk about small sample size... :rolleyes:

But hey - according to basketball-refence, he'll score 23.9 per 36 and his shooting splits will be .51-.87-.45!!!

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You are right, the Rockets really need to upgrade the PG position. On top of getting ride of Lin, they should,

1. Dump Harden to get Wade;
    2. Dump Asik to get D. Howard;
    3. Dump 2Pat to get Gasol;
    4. Get ride of Parson to get L. James.

#69 daoshi, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I agree. When can CP3 be signed?

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Jimmer would be better than Douglas by default. I would like to see that happen.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You're good!

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Screw CP3 let's get little Chris to run the point.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Due to Jeremy Lin's contract status, you could look at his value a couple different ways.

One is whether or not he's playing at a $5mil level right now, and if in two years he will become a max player - aka, a star. I think most fans have resigned themselves to the fact that Lin won't be a consistent threat like he was during Linsanity, so no.

Another is whether or not he's playing at a $8mil level, and assume he will never improve. Again, I believe most fans do think Jeremy Lin will improve, so it's not necessary to use the value $8mil against Lin unless comparing two similar contracts/players side by side.

I think Lin should be measured on his potential. The fact that he's not shooting well right now makes it difficult for Lin to justify his contract - he would have to make huge improvements in shooting to even out his current performance. But even with his current status considered, I do believe Lin will end up being an $8mil player in his second year with the Rockets, and who knows after that?

15. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

First i would like to say i don't believe Lin's better then most on this list
    Lin against

Jrue Holiday- out played him scored 16 in 4Q =Team won:grin:
    Kyle Lowry - Out played him ,shut him down = Team won :grin:
    Brandon Jennings- got out played twice= team lost 2:(
    John Wall- canceled each other out = team won:cool:
    Mike Conley- got out played = team lost:mad:
    Ty Lawson- got out played = Team lost:mad:
    Ricky Rubio - out played him = Team won:grin:
    Goran Dragic- have not played yet
    Stephen Curry- have not played yet
    Kyrie Irving -canceled each other out twice= team won 2;)
    WestBrook- got slightly outplayed =team lost Big:eek:

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A. Lin isn't playing that poorly. It's actually better than I expected.

B. It's hardly December!

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Combination of contract situation and upside.

Lin has a high ceiling. If you believe he's playing up to his potential right now, well, I just think you're wrong and there is no way around that.

His struggles lately, they make it seem less likely he'll reach his ceiling, but the potential is there, and it's tantalizing.

If you try to trade Lin right now, you're probably selling low, and you may even have to pay people (in the form of a draft pick or prospect) to get back equal value on the court.

Now in magical fairy-land where CP3 says "I want to be a Rocket and I'll take a pay cut to do it", or Rondo falls into our laps 'cause Boston loves what we've got to offer or something, then sure.

But I sure as hell can't think of a realistic scenario where trading Lin is a good idea right now.

18. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Just curious, what kind of performance/stats you expect from Lin in order to justify him as a 8mil player, in terms of points/assists/rebounds/steals/TOs?

thank you.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

That's a good question the sceptics (nicer word than haters) would not like to answer

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

That's how good he is.