1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Barry even on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buzz1701, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

He can't defend, is not much of a playmaker either. I thought when the Rockets signed him it was for his shooting, but he's not too good at that anymore either. I've read people on this board saying he should get 10 minutes at the point. Are you kidding? His next assist will be his first all year. Ask yourself this...can you remember one game where you said "wow that was impressive - that's why we signed him" I cringe every time he comes in because I know he can't stop his man and when he gets a wide open 3 - I think "OK now hit it and prove me wrong", but most times he's off. I think I'd rather have Luther Head. I don't remeber one game where Barry impressed me - not one!

2. OlajuwonShake34

Luther Head over Barry? ROFL, Barry does have a very high IQ and he brings a lot of things that don't show up in the stat sheet.

Barry can also run point guard for this team, if AB or Lowry get hurt. Barry is probably also tutoring these guys how to shoot as well.

Barry can shoot 3's, he can't defend that's true, however he can make plays. He may not be worthy to get minutes every game, but he is def. worthy of playing for this team.

3. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

2 words..... playoff experience

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For the record, he's shooting 45% from 3-point range since the beginning of December.

He can't beat guys off the dribble any more, and he's not strong or athletic enough to finish either. I thought he'd be a better option for us on pick and rolls, but he hasn't made great decisions, generally.

He's still a dead eye shooter. The one guy on the team I'd want to shoot pressure free throws or take a 3-pointer with the game on the line. He's also a veteran who'll help teach the younger guys on the team.

5. OlajuwonShake34

Indeed, He knows how to run an offense as well. He may not be able to score, but we don't need any scorers on this team anymore. That problem has been fixed. Our past problems were the fact that we had no scorers outside of T-Mac and Yao. That is not the case anymore, now that we have Von Wafer, Aaron Brooks, Ron Artest and an Improved Luis Scola.

Barry just needs to shoot the ball, and use his basketball IQ.

6. SouthMJS

SouthMJS Member

He's here for shooting 3's when offense stalls, excellent free throw percentage, playoff experience, and so that he wouldn't go to another team to shoot do the above mentioned against us.

7. yearning

yearning Rookie

He is the 10th man in the transition right now. Maybe he could not offer much power for the team but I would keep him rather than Luther Head in the roster. He is a veteran with playoff experience. On the other hand, Head never prove himself in any playoff game.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What are you expecting from a 37 year old? He shot pretty well on the last home stand. Adelman is using him correctly, just in spot situations and not using him too much so he can be useful for the playoffs.

If I see Barry being played alot, that just means Von is struggling and Adelman needs someone in there to not screw up.

9. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Because he knows how play basketball. Not like Von Wafer or Aaron Brooks (even Ron Artest).

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure he does. He has had some of the dumbest passes this year.

He's here to play the Matt Bullard role. He should stop trying to do more.

11. buzz1701

I read some people saying we need him for his playoff experience or whatever. But what good is it if he can't hit any shots? I see there is another thread about Barry vs Wafer. Wafer has made a lot boneheaded plays, but at least can score and has a future. If we have to depend on Barry in the playoffs, we are in big big trouble.

12. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Barry can make big shots down the stretch for us come playoff time..hes also a smart player

13. buzz1701

I'm not convinced he'll make shots down the stetch, I'll bet he'll stink it up when we need him most. If he's such a smart player - why is he making such boneheaded plays?

14. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

he'll be useful in the playoffs hopefully

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

championship experience. He has a ring. regular season doesn't matter.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He barely played 4 minutes (4:21) last night and only took one shot. No turnovers.

Again, what is your expectations of a 37 year old signed to a cheap 2 year contract?

17. lieut

lieut New Member

Why is Barry even on the team?

18. fmp087

fmp087 Member

He is a viable option off the bench due to his playoff experience.

19. khazii

khazii Member

if we match up against S.A. in the playoffs Barry's intel is just icing on the cake since we do match up well against them

20. Cbox

Cbox Member

Last year, Barry went on fire in the playoffs. Though the Spurs did lose..