1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Like Shaq, But Will Root Against Him.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Almu, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Unlike many here on the BBSter, I like Shaq. Outside of Dream, he is my favorite center of all time.

One of my weaknesses in this world(and they are few and far between) [​IMG] are kids. I spend time volunteering at the youth center. I love kids. Love, love, love them, I tell you.

I was in the office today when I ran through some media shots that my company did with the NBA. I saw Mike. I saw Carter. I saw Iverson. I saw them all in those books of commercial shoots. Another guy I saw was Shaq dressed in a Easter Bunny suit.

At our LA office, Shaq showed up in 1997 during Easter and decided to be the Easter Bunny for this particular year. There, sitting in a big, white, bunny suit was this dark head sticking out the middle. And what a big smile! Its Shaq. And the kids loved him. I read some quotes. "I love kids", the big fella said. "I am a big kid myself and if I could, I would have 20. But men can't give birth, so I will have to settle for 4."

My point is that you don't have to like the guy. But I do. I never see him talk or complain to the refs. I never see him complain about the constant hacking. Off the court, you never hear about him being arrested or getting in trouble. From what I can tell, he seems to have no ego that I can see. He respects Dream to the point of idolizing him. He respects the history of the game and the previous people that help him earn those 120 million big ones. And most of all, the guy plays hard and has worked on his game to the point where you can't even foul him anymore.

Have you seen this guys house? Its full of video games left and right! No Rembrandt. No Mona Lisa crap. The guy is down to earth and deep inside, he is just like I am...a big kid. I own a nice remote controlled car that goes really fast. And if one day, God helps me reach my dream of owning an NBA team, I am going to find Shaq and race him because he has one also.

I will root against him because I hate the Lakers. I will root against him because his team has Kobe and Kobe just got there and he thinks his s78t doesn't stink. I will root against him because I want Indiana and Bird to go out in style.

But, if the big guy goes out and win one, that will be fine with me. I have no beef with Shaq. I could see why some would. But I like him. He's cool people. He could be a big dummy...but cool people nonetheless. He's growing on me like bad toe fungus. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited June 07, 2000).]

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

He has indeed complainded vehemently about being hacked so much, but I don't mind, since defenders basically have to do something majorly physical to prevent him from getting the bucket and 1.

I'm sick of the hype, but one thing I love about him is nobody in the league gives Hakeem more respect. Nobody. Frankly, he probably gives Hakeem more respect than the young players on the Rockets do.

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Nolen, he has complained about it, but I never seen him during the game go over to the refs and breathe that hot breath on them. He usually complains afterwards. Most times during interviews.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I am going to root against him cuz I dont like a lot of the Laker fans, but mostly cuz I dont want to hear Shaq rap about how he got his stupid ring.

Yo yo I can sing.

Gimme the ball, Ill get the ring.

------------------
    I have a special purpose.