1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why haven't the Sixers retired Moses' number?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Mar 1, 2014.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So tonight Philly is retiring AI's number 3. I can't help but be reminded of the fact that even though they've taken his number out of circulation, the Sixers still haven't gotten around to officially hanging Moses Malone's jersey in the rafters. Here are the numbers they have retired so far:

6 (Dr. J)
    10 (Mo Cheeks)
    13 (Wilt)
    15 (Hal Greer)
    3 (A.I.)
    24 (Bobby Jones)
    32 (Billy Cunningham)
    34 (Barkley)

Anyone know what gives?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's having trouble passing his public speaking requirements for his speech.

Fo Fo Fo,
    Thx

is apparently not good enough of a speech.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They have. No.2.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Or rather, it seems they've taken it out of circulation but not yet officially retired. So maybe they are planning to have an official retirement at some point, though not sure why they are waiting.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe because he only played there for 4 years? But so was Wilt.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And DonatasFanboy repeats the OP's statement almost verbatim.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

heypartner points out the obvious.

I couldn't believe it at first and the first few google hits (basketball reference and wiki) displayed no.2 among retired numbers.

Pretty shocking. I don't think the number of seasons should matter here, he was MVP and a champion with the 76ers.
    The only thing I can think off is the drama in 84. The 76ers owner was publicly accusing him for being out of shape and not working hard. Then he traded him a few years later. Maybe there are some bad feelings left. Ed Snider (their owner until recently) bought the team in the 90s, but he's been involved with them since the 70s. Anyway, that's pure speculation.