1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why exactly did Josh Smith leave the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA_Baller, Sep 25, 2015.

1. LA_Baller

LA_Baller Member

I love our team, period, without Josh Smith. I will always remember him as an outstanding performer in the playoffs and when it really mattered and not so much by his shooting % or anything else really. My question is, why leave? I have not seen or heard a clear answer to this.

Smith is being paid almost the same on the Clippers as he was with the Rockets.
    Smith will probably receive around the same minutes and the same role.
    Smith and Howard knew each other on a personal level and excelled when on the court together.
    Houston came back and defeated the clippers 4-3 in the playoffs after a historic come back.. and he joins the CLippers the next off season?

Discuss.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Clear role
    More playing time promised
    Delusion
    Grass is always Greener symptom

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Go back and find the threads on Josh leaving. It's been covered.

From what I recall it was basically the guarantee to be the first big man off the bench for LAC versus a very cloudy PF situation here.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Discussions broke down about headband proprietary.

Only Paul Pierce wears a headband for the Clippers.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It just seems personal and petty, a lot like Josh Smith.

1 person likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Who really cares?

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Josh felt bad about beating the Clips in the playoffs so he joined them to make them feel better.

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The principle of Bev and Brewer, who'd have comparable role/PT as Josh, getting considerably more 3-4 times more $ per year (which is dumb because he's still getting paid by Detroit)

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Team passed out from wild night of drinking and Dwight was farting in front of Josh's face.

/insider

10. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

More guaranteed playing time = more guaranteed hero ball chuck time. He's gotta get off 15 shots in 25 minutes to get that long-term Clippers money from
    Doc "I'm neither a GM nor a doctor" Rivers.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

So. Much. Bruhhh.

[​IMG]

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

-KJ getting a bigger contract
    -TJ + DMo Contract years
    -Limited playing time

13. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Josh couldn't handle the pressure of championship expectations, which would've lead to more chucking and throwing balls out of bounds.

14. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Obviously he feels he was treated with disrespect by us not making him a priority to resign and giving KJ MLE after he showed up pretty big for us in our playoff run. I'd feel disrespected. I guess he wanted to go to the Clippers to stick it to us. Will miss his post defense, rebounding and passing, but not the rest.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really think (and I'm not claiming this is fact, just my thoughts) that Morey did the same thing with Terry as he did with Smith. Made them an offer and left it on the table for them to take or leave. It worked for Terry, he wanted to get more but didn't want to leave and eventually settled for Moreys offer.
    Morey probably hoped it would work for Smith and Smith probably took offense to the strategy while they went out and made offers for Bev and Brewer.

In the end I'll never understand why Morey didn't communicate more and pass on KJ to retain Smith.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nothing to discusss...that's not accurate or guaranteed, so he left somewhere he'd play and look good to get a new deal later.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

If he felt disrespected by us, then he probably felt disrespected by all the other teams in the league also. No one stepped up to give him a big contract offer, did they?

I think he may feel he will get more playing time with the Clippers. If he has a solid year with the Clippers, maybe he can get some team to give him a nice offer next summer.

I'm not upset with Josh. He was a good teammate, and made a contribution.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's a Microsoft guy.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Jones/Motiejunas (whichever doesn't start) and Capela are far superior to LA's reserve bigs. Smith might receive the same minutes in LA that he did in HOU last year, when the Houston rotation was never healthy at the same time. However, his outlook for playing time moving forward was much clearer with the Clippers.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

It is unattainable what Smith can do. Their ceiling is through the roof.

1 person likes this.