1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Everyone Hates the AL...or not

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Matt_Maloney, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

To an average baseball fan in October can anyone explain to me why you don't like the AL? It seems like a lot of people are concerned (even with hatred) toward the Astros move to the AL. I'm not sure why you think this considering the teams we will have in our conference are a mix of big market and small market teams that succeed. Okay, so the pitcher doesn't have to hit, doesn't that mean more offense??? Who doesn't like more offense??? What's the difference???

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A lot of it is just the tradition and rivalries the Astros have built up in the NL.

More offense is not necessarily good. I fancy an old-fashioned pitcher's duel myself.

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of west coast games and the DH. That's why I dislike the move to the AL

4. Mr. Clutch

I dont mind the late start. Will give me something to watch if I'm up late.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We've been an NL city for 50 years. Many of us dislike the DH. Yes, there's more offense but it comes at the cost of strategy. No need to decide if you think your pitcher can make it through the inning so you can pinch hit when he's due up 3rd. No need to decide to pinch hit even though he's pitching well because you have runners in scoring position and you're down a run. No need for a double switch when subbing for a pitcher. No need to think about bunts and hit and runs with regard to when the pitchers spot is due up. No, you can pretty much just set your lineup and leave it. Relieve the pitcher whenever you want, it doesn't matter.

Plus, I couldn't give less of a **** about playing teams we never played before interleague and have barely played since then.

Would you favor the Rockets moving back to the East? Away from the Mavs, Spurs, Jazz, and Lakers, all the teams we love to hate?

2 people like this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm only a casual fan, the Astros are the 4th most important team in the city to me (yes, behind the Dynamo)

But it bothers me because

1) Like others said, tradition, its hard to make such a hug transition when this team has a fairly long history

2) I have always thought AL baseball was inferior. I never like the pitcher not hitting. I think there is a lot more strategy and fun in NL baseball

7. msn

msn Member

See Mr. Clutch's and Cannonball's posts for a pretty good representation of how I feel (and maybe quite a few of us).

The question is: are you going to actually understand where others are coming from or just start trolling us over it again?

And to the thread title, I wouldn't say that everybody hates the AL. There are Astros fans excited about the move. I understand why they like it and I understand their preferences; I just don't share them.

8. Mr. Clutch

For some reason this made me depressed.

All that strategy...gone.

9. msn

msn Member

I realize some people just like to see offense, offense, and more offense. They compare baseball unfavorably to basketball based on the amount of "action". They feel happier to watch another "professional hitter" in the lineup to an "automatic out".

I love a pitcher's duel. I love to see the complex strategies that come from requiring your pitcher to play the whole game, not just half of it. I love watching awesome defense (which is why AE frustrated me so much: beautiful, amazing defense but dude simply couldn't hit).

Giving these things up just doesn't feel like baseball. It feels like a freaking exhibition game. That is one reason I hate the DH and the American League.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

looking forward to getting away from the irrelevancy that is the nl central.. larger markets, better competition. its gonna be a tough transition because were going from arguably the worst division in baseball to possibly the best..

Consolidated Statistical Metropolitan Areas (US Rank) (Metro) (TV Network)

Los Angeles Angels 17,786,419 (2nd) (Greater Los Angeles) PrimeTicket Angels
    Chicago Cubs 9,804,845 (3rd) (Chicagoland) CSNChicago
    Oakland A's 7,468,390 (5th) (Bay Area) CSNBayArea
    Texas Rangers 6,731,317 (7th) (DFW Metroplex) FoxSports Southwest
    Houston Astros 6,086,538 (9th) (Greater Houston) CSNHouston

Seattle Mariners 3,439,809 (15th) (Seattle Metro) Root Sports Northwest
    St. Louis Cardinals 2,878,255 (16th) (Greater St. Louis) Fox Sports Midwest
    Pitsburgh Pirates 2,447,393 (18th) (Metro Pittsburgh) Root Sports Pittsburgh
    Cincinatti Reds 2,214,954 (Cincinnati–Northern Kentucky Metro) FoxSports Ohio
    Milwaukee Brewers 1,751,316 (Metro Milwaukee) Fox Sports Wisconsin

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The AL central is the worst in baseball.

I hate the DH. I'll miss the NL rivalries, especially living an 1.5 hours from ATL, but 6+ hours to the nearest AL city. I've been going to see the Astros nearly every year for as long as I can remember, and Bud Selig is taking that away. I also lose out on those 5 other Braves games I watched on TV, and countless Cubs games on WGN (though those games have dwindled in recent years).

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

OP, you're still following this team? To the AL? Seriously? Are you dumb? You should find another sport.

:rolleyes:

3 people like this.
  13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Within the next 10-15 years, the DH is going to be forced onto the NL anyway.

14. juicystream

I don't know. I think it will happen eventually, just don't know if it will be that soon. I think the owners would only do it if the players union gave up something big.

15. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

You do realize we are moving to the AL West, right?

AL WEST:
    Oakland
    Texas
    LA Angels
    Mariners

not

AL Central:
    Detroit
    Chicago Sox
    Kansas City
    Cleveland
    Minnesota

16. juicystream

Yes...

You do realize I was responding to the poster directly above me who called the NL Central possibly the worst in baseball, right?

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't like more offense. For the most part, I would much rather see a well pitched, well played 4-2, 5-3, 3-1, 2-0 game than a series of high scoring games.

Cannonball expressed very well the missing nuances from games that involve a DH. The "average" fan may not see all of the strategy involved in baseball - especially NL baseball. I will miss that.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Things are cyclical..but over its history the AL West has been an after-thought. One WS title in the past 20 or so years (2002 Angels). The worst average attendance of any division. With the Astros joining, that's 3 franchises in that division that have never won a WS and one (the Mariners) that has never won a pennant.

I get that right now the AL West looks great...but that hasn't been the story for its history.

As for the question posed by the OP...I identify as an NL fan. Baseball is my favorite sport, and league identity is huge. Only 2 teams have ever switched leagues, including the Astros. I do not like the DH, but I suspect it will be the norm for both leagues within the next 10 years anyway.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There are three parts to baseball: Pitching, hitting and playing defense. Pitchers in the AL only have to do 2 out of 3. It's unfair. All the other players on the field have to do all 3.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also, the DH doesn't have to play defense.