1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why dwight will never be as good as hakeem defensively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vunny1408, Mar 22, 2011.

1. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

...or for that matter offensively. hakeem absolutely owns him offensively no questions.

but the reason why is ive seen so many of dwights "defensive" blocks but for some reason he always seem to go for the highlight reel block i.e. out of bounds .

hakeem would always "control" his blocks and if he had the chance, he would intelligently block it to a teammate or block it to himself so the team keeps possession.

* just a random rant. i probably havent posted a new thread in over 2 years or commented for a while. im in the midst of a trek down south of japan due to the problems in tokyo.

www.ontoshiki.com

2. Burko

Burko Member

Not fit to lace Hakeem's shoes.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i saw that block last night and thought about hakeem controling his, i don't remember if hakeem started to do that later in his career or from early on

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

later on. he used to send his blocks into the stands.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If Dwight Howard played in the 90s he would be Kevin Willis.

1 person likes this.
  6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This has always been a big pet peeve for me, and one of my favorite things about Hakeem. Most of the players nowadays care about being on the highlight reel, so they try to swat them as hard as possible, which results in them going out of bounds 90% of the time. When Hakeem got the block he almost always kept it inbounds, and quite often got it to a teammate.

I was trying to think of something to say about the comparison of Hakeem & Dwight, but I couldn't top Burko, so I'll repeat it....Dwight isn't fit to lace Hakeems shoes.

Pugs

7. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

I remember when this was relevant in the game action and roster moves forum.

1 person likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's my intuition. I looked to see if the interwebs could confirm, but failed. In any case, I don't see why Dwight Howard wouldn't be able to learn to control his blocks.

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

will there ever be ANYBODY as good as Hakeem defensively?

10. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Dwight plays like a stiff. Limited offense and inferior at defense compared to Dream. Dwight has as much offense like our very own Kevin Willis did plus the dunks. I'm not being biased but its flat out true. I don't see Dwight resemble Akeem in any way shape or form. It's not even close.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ha ha

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dwight still cannot play one on one defense very well, he is a great weakside defender and rebounder, thats it

13. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

A lot of Jelly here towards Dwight Howard , Yao fans need to chill the F out .

Dwight Howard fans are not comparing to Hakeem , Hakeem was in a level of his own. So Dwight Howard haters don't have to compare him to Hakeem.

I notice many teams fans dislike Dwight Howard , but Rockets fans get more emotional when Dwight Howard topic gets brought up .

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Some of you guys are ridiculous. First of all, the reason he he'll never been as good as Hakeem defensively is because he has nowhere near the remarkable quickness as Hakeem did. This extends to his leaping, since while Dwight might be able to jump higher than Dream did, Hakeem's second jump was probably the quickest that the NBA's ever seen. He also lacks Olajuwon's defensive instincts.

Physically, I think he compares better to David Robinson, but Robinson was much more polished defensively (and of course, offensively) coming into the league than Dwight is now.

Keep in mind, Robinson was 24 when he entered the league. Howard's 25. I can only imagine the beast Howard would have been if he had spent four years at an elite ACC or Big East program.

Oh, and the Kevin Willis comparisons are way, way off base. Kevin Willis was 7'0" with like, a 6'5" wingspan.

EDIT: Willis, like Howard, had a limited post arsenal. But he wasn't the overwhelming physical presence that Dwight is, and he shot a lot of jumpers. He was a tough, tough player and very physical, but I'd be shocked if he had as many dunks in his 22 year career that Howard's had in the last seven seasons.

#14 dharocks, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  15. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

DHoward does bear a resemblance to Kevin Willis. Good observation!

Amazingly, alligator arms played to a ripe old age. Dwight should be so lucky.

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

True. Dwight is like the modern day Kevin Willis but with much longer arms. The difference between Howard and Hakeem is Hakeem is much more fluid and smooth. Hakeem is quick as a cat and his foot work is elite. His ballhandling skills is elite for a Center and he can move like a guard.

No matter how hard Dwight Howard works on his game to be close to Hakeem, he will never be anywhere near the level Hakeem was. Hakeem is just too good and his natural ability is out of this world. He is gifted in so many way. Dwight Howard just doesn't possess that natural talent Hakeem has. Howard is more of a banger. Dwight natural ability is his athleticism and strength but he will never possess the shooting touch, the fadeaway, amazing footwork, fluidness, and quickness like Olajuwon.

The only guy in the Nba today that has the same elite footwork as the Dream is Kobe Bryant. That just shows you why Hakeem was so dominant. A big man that has the amazing elite footwork like a superstar guard in Kobe Bryant. There will never be a player like Hakeem. He is like an elite guard playing in a 6'11 body.

Hakeem dominates Howard in every single way. But Hakeem has more competitive drive in him, a will power to do whatever it takes to win, a rare trait you don't find in many players today. Howard is a great player in his own way. I just don't think its fair to compare Howard to the Dream. Hakeem is just too much of an elite rare special player that comes only once in a generation. There are so many players that are like Howard. Even if you put Howard into the group of centers in the 90s, he wouldn't even be top 5 I believe. And that is not taking anything away from Dwight. That just shows you how great the Centers were in the 90s

17. FR0497

FR0497 Member

And you can't forget the hands! The only center in the top 10 all time in steals.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

25 years old

I mention this because it's rather important, especially for a big guy.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

one of Dwight's issues is his strength, if he played in the 90's, he could do what ppl like Hakeem, Robinson and Ewing did and basically body check his opponents when blocking them in the paint (not to mention the complete smackdown he could lay down if he could body all these power forward c*m centers in the paint), instead (and amusingly he calls himself Superman) he has to do what his namesake does and check his strength so as to try and avoid the furor of the zebras.

Howard's post game with that practice with Hakeem has improved leaps and bounds, but its still not polished at all, and we're looking at a 25 yo center putting up 23/14, with more polish he's going to be the most dominant player in the league (and it won't even be close)

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The comparison is more along the lines of reputation. Dwight has his dominance because there just arent any real centers left anymore. He can wreck the smaller finese PFs parading as Cs these days.

If he played in the 90s, he would be just another guy kinda like Willis was. If Willis was playing today he would share similar success as Howard.