1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Dwight missed that dunk and Cousins was properly ejected

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Check it out in slow motion at the 11 second mark, the reason why Dwight missed that dunk is because Cousins threw an arm into his groin area. That's the reason the top half of Dwight's body continued to the rim yet the bottom half stayed put out of pure instinct. What guy wouldn't do that? It's not only classless on Cousins' part, but dangerous - a player could easily fall on their face doing that. I'm not sure if the NBA allows players throwing a hand into a shooter's groin area when they're shooting, but it sure as heck is effective playing street ball. And yes, it's &*#% annoying. Definitely not acceptable when driving to the basket. Arguing with an official after a classless play is an easy ejection. Cousins is just pissed the official called him out on it, because a seemingly 'nonchalant' arm anywhere else is not usually a foul.

[youtube]t65HEy9R5lg[/youtube]

#1 Tuk88, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. bmd

bmd Member

It was an obvious foul. Refs made the right call. Wasn't controversial.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think everyone including the announcers knows it was a clear foul, they even said it on NBA tv you can't arm a guy while he is up in the air, I'm pretty sure Cousins wanted that game to be over.

4. Tuk88

None of the articles I've read address the dirty play that eventually got him the technicals in the first place. This is typical:

and complete ignorance from Cousins himself the next day:

The point is, while the focus is on how Cousins couldn't control his temper for a bad call, people are missing the fact that it was a dirty play to begin with, and that's worse than losing your temper.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Howard has done that a cpl times himself, he just doesn't b**** about the call. Cousins is just an idiot, and will likely always be an idiot.

6. Tuk88

Frankly, I'd like Cousins to have the awareness that getting called for a foul for going after a player's groin while he's in the air isn't a 'bad call', otherwise it'll just happen again. This is the kind of crap Bynum used to pull.

7. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

It was written that what really started Cousins melt down was a play where Harden pulled Cousins down, allegedly. Anyone see that, or have video of it?

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, saw it on replay last night.

Players get used to acting like they didn't do anything.

9. LandryMegaBeast

Cousins is just an angry dude... His career is going to be defined by all the ejections and tantrums he threw rather than his play, which has been pretty dominant all season. He's a young, near allstar level player, but he will never amount to anything if this behavior persists.

I feel bad for the Sacramento fans... their best player since Chris Webber is a crazy person

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Not everybody can be a Zen Master like Howard. Howard is very light headed and with all the punishment he's taken, I'm amazed. Even Yao turned into a Hulk a couple of games..

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That was barely a foul. There was no intention to cause harm to Dwight, it was more of a getting your arm to avoid getting dick in your face than anything else.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It was a foul plain and simple, Dwight could hurt himself while being nudged while he is in the air, you are supposed to go for the ball not Howard's balls.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It probably wouldn't be a foul had Cousins touched any other area except for Dwight's groin.

I'm pretty sure any attempts at the groin area, even if it's a light tap, constitutes as a foul.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IebhPrKQGzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rockets88, you have incredible eye for details.

16. reliableman

reliableman Member

Informed OP...is he an insider? :confused:

17. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

I feel bad for Sac fans. They have to deal with this guy and they are about to sign Royce White. That's a lot of crazy on one team.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Howard jumped too high!

19. Tuk88

I'm just glad Bev called him out on it. Makes you wonder how often Cousins pulls this kind of ----. The only protection players have is to report it, like Bev did, otherwise no one would ever know. You can see the look on Dwight's face, definitely how I would feel after a dirty play. No way he misses that dunk otherwise. I'm sure he and Bev had an opinion to share about Cousins, and Bev did the right thing.

20. nobie

nobie Member

Cousins really need some timeout and get back to real world.