1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Durant may come to H-Town after all

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I always laugh when I see stuff like this where. Person X said something to Person Y...no chance Rockets will trade for them.

Ty Lawson called out Harden's defense no chance Rockets trade.....pfff

Guys talk crap all game long and it doesn't mean jack squat. Next.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Thing fans have trouble realizing in their desire for drama is that players are usually 1) messing with each other or 2) saying things in the heat of the moment. Players can get into fights or kick each other in the balls and still hang out afterwards.

3. Raven

Raven Member

My hunch, and I don't know him, so it's just a hunch, is that he talks himself into signing with Miami.

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is a solid point. There was an ESPN rumor July 1st that said Harden and Westbrook were planning to leave together to play for the Lakers since Harden would like to be back in LA. It makes sense to us that KD come here, but it may be that the players are thinking something completely different.

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

That is a good point, but I think there are players in the league that just dont like Dwight. The Dwight KD issue was over a girl Dwight stole from KD I believe.

6. dram1

dram1 Member

This is a useless post!!!

No one is on the Durant train like he is coming here...just speculating...that's what we do here. Let a mofo fantasize a li'l...damn!

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lmfaooooooooo are u trolling?

8. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Time for a drug test. Homeboy has been hitting the juice.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I see Durant going to a team where he will be the lead dog. A team that will allow him a say in important decisions. A team that has good young talent. A team that has cap space to work with, even after he is signed.

I think Durant will be looking for a situation simular to what James has in Cleveland. James is the undisputed leader of the team, but he has young all star caliber talent backing him up.

If Durant comes to Houston, he will be sharing the spotlight with Harden, Dwight, and Lawson.

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Rockets could make this work:

PG: Lawson (Beverly)
    SG: Harden (McDaniels)
    SF: Durant (Ariza, Dekker)
    PF: DMo (Dekker, Harrell)
    C: Howard (Capela)

If...
    -Howard has to sign for more years and far below his max. Something like $22.36M (same salary as this season) for 4 years.
    -Trade Brewer for no salary back
    -Renounce or trade Terrance Jones
    -Release Lawson and have no one pick him up
    -Sign Durant for his max (about $25.5M based on a $90M salary cap)

Then...
    -Sign Lawson with the cap room exception under the promise you re-sign him for a big extension in 2017 FA
    -Sign/match for DMo

The huge ifs are the Howard contract and Lawson taking less (if he has the kind of year that has us want to bring him back at all) in the hopes of bringing in Durant. However, that sure seems to me like the best possible team Kevin Durant can join. You have fantastic depth across the board and a great mix of vets and young, energy guys. Plus, you'd likely get a pick or foreign asset from trading Brewer.

Of course, if this team works really well this season and they don't have really, really good assurance Durant may sign with them, it is a pretty risky move. However, the good part is, if Lawson gets through waivers, you could still just resign him with cap space and not have to trade Brewer and bring back the same team, with maybe one more midlevel type signing.

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

Are there really any legit landing destinations outside of Houston and DC? I feel as though OKC has alienated Durant with a series of bad moves as well as the fundamental misfit between he and Westbrook. As for the Wizards: theres always the hometown fit, John Wall as a budding young superstar, and... THE EASTERN CONFERENCE (biggest factor going unnoticed imo).

12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, he can pick pretty much any team. Even the Warriors have several avenues to make it work. With so many teams with capspace, the Thunder would have to be extremely ballsy to pass on a S&T, if that is what is needed, and call his bluff that he doesn't just walk to another team with space.

However, I think status quo in OKC, Houston, or Washington certainly make the most sense.

13. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Durant to Houston... it's been in the works all along..

No but seriously, he and Harden are great friends. I think KD tolerates Westbrook. That's my personal opinion. He'll deal with him in the name of winning.

But, now having Lawson and Harden, two of his best friends, I think we have a legit shot.

Maybe the three of them will convince Dwight to take a pay cut or at the least take the same amount he gets right now.

Speaking of Dwight, I think him and KD having "beef" is overblown. Durant is just competitive. Probably just a midst of the moment thing..

14. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Would he go to the east though? LeBron is over there. With the cap increasing, you've got to think Cleveland could get better. They also have that giant TPE... They could improve drastically THIS year..

Sure, DC is home, but Durant is apart of the "brotherhood".

Besides, we have the lure of Texas. The "no state taxes" thing could be huge..

Spurs have Aldridge. All the Mavs have to pitch is the city.

We've got superstars getting ready to hit their prime. Harden will be 26 next month. Lawson will be 28 in November. Durant will be 27 in September. Dwight will be 30.

With Durant, our window to win would stay open for a few years longer, in my opinion.

Morey will go all-in on Durant. Dwight, Harden, Lawson, McHale, members of the championship team(s).

What's great, is we actually have the assets to trade for Durant mid-season if need be. Either one (& Bev) or both Brewer/Ariza ($8M each), Dekker (more for potential than cap reasons), loads of picks, overseas players, etc.

15. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Just trash-talk on the court. It's never personal. Trust me, they've heard worst things on the court from people they're friends with. I doubt Howard really even remembers. Besides, Howard knows that the best way for him to get respect from others is to win a ring. He'll put his ego aside if it means Durant coming through to Houston. No one stops Lawson, Harden, Durant, MEH, Howard.

16. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Imagine the warriors series with Lawson and Durant... than imagine the Cavaliers series.

Omg

17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

When Parsons signed with the Mavs people (media and fans on forums) noted the coincidental D12/Parsons player options at the same time. Both have the same agent, who happens to be best buds with Mark Cuban. Players run the show but agents pull some strings behind the scenes. McGradys agent begged the Knicks to get his client out of Houston in exchange for maybe......some soft bargaining with other client(s) somewhere down the line. I saw let Dwight walk......D-Mo will be ready to slide to center by then. Capella as backup. C) D-Mo PF) Capela SF)Durant SG) Harden PG) Lawson (w/D-Mo and Durant, spacing should not be an issue for Capela's game).

18. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I really wonder whether KD will ever completely overcome his recurring foot injury. His latest surgery was to repair the first one that was unsuccessful.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't think any of us can say for certain (who saw the Harden trade coming?)

But I think there is about a 0.1% chance that the Thunder trade Durant this season. And about a 0.000000001% chance that they trade him to Houston.

20. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I feel kind of the same way about him being traded to us mid-season, I was just stating that it is possible.

But people forget how much power players have in this league.

Only way Durant leaves Oklahoma City, is if it will be for a better situation. Kind of like Aldridge. He was loyal to Portland, but the Spurs have recent success and had the space.

I do think Houston is his best bet if he leaves Oklahoma. Only reason he would go back to Washington is because its home. John Wall is good, but he's no Harden. Beal is a role player. NeNe is breaking down. They'll have a hole at PF. Gortat is overrated, at least in my opinion.

We've got two of his best friends in Lawson and Harden.

Who better to win a title with than your friends? LeBron did it twice with Wade and Bosh.

Durant is tired of being second. He's said that multiple times. If the Thunder don't win the championship this year, I think he leaves, and I think it's for Houston, Golden State, or Washington.