1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't we swing the ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

One thing I've noticed about this team is they never make that extra pass to get the wider open 3. We attempt to swing, but once it hits Harden or Delfino they will always take the 3 even though an extra pass would've been the better look. Anyone else notice this?

2. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I think that's what they're supposed to do, of course the players have to execute it. How McHale "allows" the ball to get sticky every single game is beyond me. If they're not moving the ball then bench the guys who are holding it, preferably in the beginning of the season so its all smoothed out by the end of season.

But I'm sure next season they'll figure it out....magically.

3. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Well, in these last 2 games, I actually think that they passed too much. So many times Delfino caught it and he was relatively open and he passes again to someone else, but the defense has already rotated to them anticipating this.

And even worse, sometimes, that person passes back to Delfino in reaction to this. And now Delfino actually jacks it up with a defender close!

Guys who have an open shot just need to shoot it. Kind of like Garcia, but he seems to take too many heat checks. He is making them though, so I can't say much.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think McHale wants more ball movement and to be honest, one of the reasons the ball gets sticky is Hardens sticky fingers.

I also noticed with a small line-up, our guards are really bad at setting screens (if at all), so they just pass the ball at the top of the key. Only Asik and Smith seem to be able to set a decent screen.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we dont swing the ball cuz of iso harden

6. cbk41

cbk41 Member

A small guy isn't as good as a big guy setting a screen? :rolleyes:

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

General speaking, big guys are better at setting screens but I think our small guys haven't been taught how to set screens properly.

That image of Lin getting steamrolled by Howard on the last play of the reg season comes to mind + McHale should never have put Lin in that position.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I disagree. Sometimes we need better ball movement, no doubt about that. But to say that we never make the extra pass is just not true.

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

They're lengthy and they cover the passing lanes well. They cover the perimeter tight and would rather have us drive in since they have either Perks or Ibaka waiting in the paint.